How to Dual Boot Windows 7 and XP

Discussion in 'Windows' started by myuusmeow, Jan 3, 2009.

1. myuusmeow

LokoTripper

Thanks dude . . . it is only giving me 2 options , activate windows online now , and Ask me Later :?: :cry: will something happen if I go online to activate ??

LokoTripper, Feb 15, 2009
  2. myuusmeow

myuusmeow

You have to go online to activate so it can make sure its a real code etc.

myuusmeow, Feb 15, 2009
  3. myuusmeow

LokoTripper

Ok . . . so let me try that , thanks dude !!

I was afraid if I went online that my W7 will go FUBAR on me ;) hehehe I downloaded it from a Torrent site (Demonoid) ok here goes nothing :shock: :D

4. myuusmeow

LokoTripper

Woooooow that was quick !! it didn't even ask me for a number or anything !! it just told me : Activation was succesful !! so I am done right ?? now to look for that watermark removal hack hehe ;)

Thanks a lot dudes . . . I really was looking forward to this , oh and by the way , is there any program that may get all the drivers that I need (like I use Driver Magician on XP ??)

**02/15/09 Edit

Dudes i got a couple of Q's :oops: :roll: ;)

:?: How the heck do I get (or install) the show the desktop button ??

:?: I installed the Windows 7 Tweaks.exe file , and now I can not get the gadgets (sidebar) to work , anybody have an idea ??

5. myuusmeow

myuusmeow

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=10036 has the correct Windows 7 drivers, but the only ones you really need to install are the wireless Atheros and the Synaptics touchpad drivers.

I thought the Show Desktop button was on the taskbar by default, but if it isn't, you can press the small vertical bar next to the date and time.

What that program probably did was turn off UAC (user account control is the annoying dialogs that appear when any program tries to do anything), which in my opinion is worth not having the gadges, to turn it back on, open the control panel and search for "User Account Control," click it and it should go to a slider, it needs to be at least one up from the bottom to have gadgets.

myuusmeow, Feb 16, 2009
  6. myuusmeow

LokoTripper

Heeeey thanks a lot dude !! got it ;) by the way is there a way I can get triple boot on my AA1 ?? I want to try Mac OS , I tried to use Partition magic , but it is not letting me do another primary or any kind of partition !!

This is what I'm getting :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any suggestions ?? or is there a step by step (Idiot proof guide :oops: )

** edit 09:30pm

Can I delete the partition in which I have installed W7 , make a new partition (non primary) so I can share my music , movies , etc , then re-do a new partition and install W7 again ?? you see I didn't think I was going to like W7 so freaking much hehe and I only gave it 15gb , can I do that ?? thanks

LokoTripper, Feb 16, 2009
  7. myuusmeow

Scruff

Thanks for the guide myuusmeow!
    It was nice and easy to setup in the end.

Is there a way to set it to boot the "older windows operating system" i.e. XP rather than Windows 7 by deafult?

Scruff, Feb 17, 2009
  8. myuusmeow

jeremysdad

Start-->Right click "My Computer"-->Properties-->Advanced-->Startup and Recovery-->Select whichever OS you want as default from the drop-down.

jeremysdad, Feb 22, 2009
  9. myuusmeow

Scruff

I cant start XP anymore as its become corrupted but i cant find a way to repair it. If i hold down F8 (or alt -f10) on boot i get to the can get to the recovery console but it only gives me the option to repair windows 7. If i change the boot order to default to "earlier version of windows" as per jeremysdad's instruction and then hold down F8 on reboot i cant get to the recovery console at all! It just goes to the option to chose between the 2 OSes

Scruff, Mar 12, 2009
  10. myuusmeow

ec1029

ok so i just got my net book today and i tried to install windows 7.
    posting.php?mode=reply&f=38&t=9194
    However, I can not get past the first part.
    I am using Powerquest Partition magic 8.0 and whenever I start it it either freezes my net book or says

Error 117: "Partition's drive letter cannot be identified"

Does anyone else have this problem, if so, how can you fix it?

thanks!!!

ec1029, Mar 25, 2009
  11. myuusmeow

babysvt

I am finding so much information on these and don't know what I am doing wrong. I used an ISO program to put the ISO on a DVD but it is displayed as an image. I am also not sure what it means to mount the ISO. Is there some program for those of us who are clueless but really want to learn to do this and get dual boot? I will be doing a dual boot with Vista and Win 7...if I can figure this out. Everyone makes it sould so easy but it is giving me a headache! :oops: Not sure which ISO program but it was one listed on the Microsoft site when I downloaded the ISO file.

babysvt, Aug 6, 2009
  12. myuusmeow

wcsilva

Try EaseUs´s Partion Master: http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm
    I´ve suffered from the same error when I tried to install Win 7 on my Acer 751.

William.

wcsilva, Aug 19, 2009
Ask a Question