How to enable hardware openGL aceleration?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by rev_b, Aug 30, 2008.

1. rev_b

rev_b

Hi there. Sorry if the issue is already discussed, but I did search and I couldn't find a solution.
    Linpus doesn't have 3d aceleration enabled, it does software rendering wich is very slow, and doesn't allow some openGL apps to run properly. Google earth is one, but also some OpenGL games - the hardware is more than capable, I've had ubuntu and WinXP installed and 3d works just fine. I really don't care for compiz in this machine (but it works fine in ubuntu), but it's perfectly capable of running Quake3 @ 60 fps in XP.

My glxgears is about 150 fps. I tried to update mesa-libGL to no avail.

Could you please help me? Thanks.

rev_b, Aug 30, 2008
  2. rev_b

Foranamo

I'm not sure what you've done with your install, but my hardware acceleration has always worked when I've installed Linpus again. By default glxgears fps is about 420 and with a 'fix' that can be found on this very forum you can get glxgears to 950fps.

Foranamo, Aug 30, 2008
  3. rev_b

rev_b

I just figured it out. As you said opengl is enabled on a default install, I checked what I did and I edited xorg.conf in order to output @ 1280x1024 in VGA out, but now I realized it disables openGL aceleration :(

All is well now...

Thanks.

rev_b, Aug 30, 2008
  4. rev_b

scooble

I know nothing about linpus/linux, therefore, in plain english, how do I enable hardware acceleration. All I know is that flash and flash video are very choppy.

scooble, Sep 5, 2008
  5. rev_b

maciek

i would think flash performance is down to cpu/drive rather then gpu/chipset.... they are talking about 3d graphics acceleration.

maciek, Sep 5, 2008
  6. rev_b

Shad0wguy

Has anything come of this? I installed google earth and it is woefully slow. There must be some kind of fix for this.

Shad0wguy, Sep 16, 2008
Ask a Question