How to get skype icon on desktop?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by santalahti, Mar 6, 2009.

1. santalahti

santalahti

Hi,

I have downloaded skype successfully, but I don't know how to get the skype icon onto the desktop. Totally new to linux, so please talk me through, step by step, how I do this!

Many thanks in advance

Mike

santalahti, Mar 6, 2009
  2. santalahti

barrie

Hi Mike,

I take it you are using the original Acer desktop with the four boxes, if so Acer have done most of the work for you.

1.Open your file manager
    2.Now in the heading box type the following.
    /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop then select the file called group-app.xml

3.Now look for this line

4.Change it to this
    <app sequence=”9”>/usr/share/applications/skype.desktop</app>

Click save then close the file manager and reboot.

Once the Acer has rebooted expand the blue desktop connect box and you will see the skype Icon there, you can now drag it into the highlighted area to replace an existing Icon if you want.

barrie, Mar 6, 2009
  3. santalahti

santalahti

Hi Barry,

Thanks for your help. I tried to do what you said, but had a few problems.
    1) When I right click to find and open File Manager, I tried to type in what I presume is the heading box. It starts "My Disc:///" However, when I typed what you asked me to type in, nothing happened- apart from a red "no entry" type sign which appeared to the left of the box.
    2) I then, after hunting aon another forum, went in to Terminal, and managed to enter the group-app.xml file there.
    I did what you said, and altered the line, changing the number to 9 (it was 8 previously).
    When I rebooted, no icon appeared when I expanded the box, unfortunately. :(

So, I'm not really any further forward at all. Any advice?
    Many thanks in advance,
    Mike

santalahti, Mar 7, 2009
  4. santalahti

barrie

Hi santalahti,

Reason for red Icon was you did not type this correctly. ;) (you start the entry always with / (forward slash)
    /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml

Also did you remove the !--at the beginning of the line and – at the end of the line?

I gave the number 9 as it is seldom used, but look through the numbers for this area and choose one that is not in use.

barrie, Mar 7, 2009
  5. santalahti

santalahti

Hello again Barrie,

OK, I typed exactly what you have said this time and a folder appears to the left of the line. Then what? Nothing. I try clicking on various places, but nothing happens.
    I did remove the !-- at the start and end of the line, yes. Still no joy I am afraid. I am frustrated. :(

santalahti, Mar 7, 2009
  6. santalahti

barrie

Hi santalahti,

Once you have typed the line as above just hit the enter key, and this will automatically bring up the group-app.xml for you to edit,

Then once you have changed the line your file should look like this. I have used the number 2 as it was not in use by any other application so check to see what numbers you have free and choose one of those.
    [​IMG]

barrie, Mar 7, 2009
  7. santalahti

santalahti

Barrie- thanks for all your help here. At last, I have solved the problem and the Skype icon is sitting exactly where I wanted it all along- on the desktop under "connect".
    The problem was that in the line you highlighted above, my code read <app sequence "9">/usr/share/applications/edesktop/skype.desktop</app> so I removed the bit that said edesktop and it worked fine.
    I presume now that when I launch Skype, my webcam will launch successfully too??

Mike

santalahti, Mar 8, 2009
  8. santalahti

barrie

Hi Mike,

I am pleased all is OK now, don't you just hate those type O`s.

No reason why not, I use Skype + webcam daily, but as a foot note use USB headphones and mic, :D Log into your Skype account then go to options > video devices
    Just set things up as you want them.

barrie, Mar 8, 2009
  9. santalahti

Gillian

I have done exactly as you stated before ie: /home/user/.config etc. But when I reboot my changes have not been saved.

Gillian, Mar 24, 2009
  10. santalahti

barrie

Hi Gillian,

Not sure what has happened, :?: I have just phoned a friend and used the built in mic and web cam no problems. Have you also authenticated this in Skype under options > video devices?

You should have the following device enabled.
    Acer Crystal Eye Webcam (/dev/video0)

And under sound devices choose default device for options 1 > 2 > and 3

barrie, Mar 24, 2009
  11. santalahti

Gillian

Thanks for the reply. I have been able to access Skype by invoking the program through the terminal. I have run the test to check if the sound is ok and that all seems to be in place. I am just not successful in getting an icon on my desktop. I am not familiar with Linux at all so please bear with me.

regards

Gill

Gillian, Mar 24, 2009
  12. santalahti

barrie

Hi Gillian,

Please can you copy and paste the part of your group-app.xml file that contains all the connect box entries including background colour etc.

barrie, Mar 24, 2009
  13. santalahti

Gillian

Herewith the extract (unchanged). Regards Gill

<group>
    <id>4</id>
    <sequence>3</sequence>
    <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/home-green-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Files.directory</directory_file>
    <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/green-bk.png</background_picture>
    <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/green-more.desktop</app>
    </group>
    <group>
    <id>5</id>
    <sequence>4</sequence>
    <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/blue-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Connect.directory</directory_file>
    <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/blue-bk-large.png</background_picture>
    <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="0">/usr/share/applications/blue-back.desktop</app>
    <app sequence="3" acs="email">/usr/share/applications/AME.desktop</app>
    <app sequence="2" acs="im">/usr/share/applications/acerim.desktop</app>
    <app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/linpus-web.desktop</app>

<app sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/acerrss.desktop</app>
    <app sequence="6">/usr/share/applications/edesktop/googlemap.desktop</app>
    <app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/edesktop/wikipedia.desktop</app>
    <app sequence="8">/usr/share/applications/edesktop/webmail.desktop</app>
    </group>

Gillian, Mar 25, 2009
  14. santalahti

Gillian

Barrie,

Please ignore the extract. I have managed to put the Skype icon on the desktop. I deleted the "?--" at the beginning of the line but not at the end. Once deleted the file saved ok. Thank you so much for your help and quick response.

all the best

Gillian :D

Gillian, Mar 25, 2009
  15. santalahti

barrie

Hi Gillian,

You are welcome and this is good news well done. I made many type 0 mistakes when trying new things on my little box, the important thing is to always backup the original file just in case. But have finally got the Linux system desktop as I want it with added apps. :)
    [​IMG]

barrie, Mar 25, 2009
  16. santalahti

Gillian

Wow, your desktop is stunning!

Gillian, Mar 25, 2009
  17. santalahti

barrie

Hi Gill,

I used the standard Acer four box desktop for about a month, which I have to say has great functionality :) but I felt lacked a friendly GUI with regards to adding desktop applications etc, :( so changed to the xfce desktop which is much more user friendly and easy to achieve.
    Now when I want to add a desktop application Icon I just drag and drop and it’s done :) no commands or file changes needed as you had to do for Skype.

barrie, Mar 25, 2009
  18. santalahti

hillbillee1

Re: How to get skype?

Alt + F3

hillbillee1, May 22, 2009
Ask a Question