How to get WiFi &WWAN working?

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by ol_hipy, Jan 22, 2010.

1. ol_hipy

ol_hipy

I have a Verizon wireless Gateway LT2016U, which I understand is a kissing cousin to the Acer Aspire One. I've installed Snow Leopard onto a 16GB Cat 4 SDHC card and it reliably and promptly boots SL and runs via Chameleon. So far, working fine is the webcam, Bluetooth 2.0 USB dongle & Bluetooth mouse, and various USB sticks.

Only two problems yet: WiFi (Atheros) and the Verizon 3G connection (Qualcomm). I've looked hither and yon, but can't seem to come up with drivers for this network hardware.

Would someone please point me in the right direction? Many thanks.

ol_hipy, Jan 22, 2010
  2. ol_hipy

AK963

Assuming they use the same Atheros card, we do have drivers for the card, but they are flakey at best. So most people installing OS X on their AAOs replace the card with one natively supported by OS X like the Dell 1390. The procedure is really simple and only takes about 15 minutes, it's also supported under Windows and various linux distros, you might want to look in to it.

AK963, Jan 22, 2010
  3. ol_hipy

ol_hipy

Thanks ... will replacing with the Dell card result in both WiFi and 3G working? That is, one card handles both?

And, do you know where I might find instructions for carrying out the card swap?

ol_hipy, Jan 22, 2010
  4. ol_hipy

AK963

No, I'm pretty certain the CDMA radio is on another mini PCI-E card. As for how to install a new wireless card, I can't find a disassembly video for your netbook, but one review said it was basically an AAO D250, so follow a video for that and you should be fine.

AK963, Jan 23, 2010
  5. ol_hipy

winterbrew

If it's based on a D250, you'll need a half-height mini PCI-E card, such as the DW 1510 (search on e-bay for BCM94322). I've just fitted one to my D250, and works fine. It's also a 802.11 a/b/g/n capable card, so a bit of an upgrade on the standard card.

The DW 1390, which fits the AOA150, is a full size card, and won't fit in a D250

Dissamebling procedure for the D250 is here ;

http://hax0rpedia.com/index.php/Disasse ... e_AAO_D250

Note that there are 3 screws to remove underneath the battery that the article doesn't mention

winterbrew, Jan 24, 2010
  6. ol_hipy

AK963

Shit! I always forget about half-height cards for the D250's >.< I'm glad someone here is awake :p

AK963, Jan 25, 2010
  7. ol_hipy

winterbrew

No worries, I nearly did the same and thought, "I'll just buy another DW1390 as I did for my AOA150". Luckily, I saw a link here to InsanelyMac, which gave the necessary info :)

winterbrew, Jan 26, 2010
Ask a Question