How to install aMSN?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by toffee, Jul 23, 2008.

1. toffee

toffee

I'm a newbie here....!

I downloaded the auto package of the aMSN, however, I don't know how to install it. Also, I want to know how to install aMSN tarball! I try to follow the info from their site, but without any luck. I can only finish the step of unpacking the tarball and I'm stuck now.

The original messenger sucks!!

toffee, Jul 23, 2008
  2. toffee

qbic2005

you are trying to do it way to difficult

first follow the following guide
    "http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28"

This will enable the normal xfce menu
    Now, right click somewhere on the desktop and choose 'system' --> 'add/remove software' from the menu, there go to search and type amsn, click it and apply ... ready to go ;)

Now a little question for you, once you configured it try to setup a video chat with one off your users, this initiates a configuration wizard, the camera seems to work but it complains about the microphone drivers ??? does it do that with yours too?

And if so, we gonna have to search for a solution i guess .... anybody ??

qbic2005, Jul 25, 2008
  3. toffee

within

Hi there,

after unsuccessful install of PidGin, I've tried aMSN.
    Same pain... :evil:

still dependencies problem, related to tcl which is not installed.
    I've tried using the package file from official amsn website, I've tried from the add/remove software and I've tried the yum command in terminal: no joy, no working way.

further help is needed, thanks.
    within

within, Aug 3, 2008
  4. toffee

qbic2005

Believe there are 2 packages for aMSN in the repo?

I installed the latter (higher) version, can you post the exact error you get and the exact version you install?

(the audio problem is solved also, just had to install libsnack from the repo)

[EDIT]Also did you read this topic?
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=208

qbic2005, Aug 5, 2008
  5. toffee

within

@ qbic2005:

I did installed PidGin, after some brain storming and read different things. I posted an update to my message aboutthis, and now it is in the HOW-TO part of the board. Maybe with aMSN the steps could be similar...
    viewtopic.php?f=13&t=747

within, Aug 5, 2008
  6. toffee

Loke

I would be interested to know how to install aMSN version 0.97.2 to my Acer Aspire One.. Any ideas? The older version (0.97.1) stopped working today since Microsoft changed something in their MSN protocol.

Loke, Aug 5, 2008
  7. toffee

within

@ loke, as a start, try this:

1/ status of you repositories:
    I beleive it's better to have only:
    fedora
    livna
    updates

to set this (you have to have your xfce desktop menu activated; see how-to here:
    http://www.aspireoneuser.com/category/hacks-software/ )
    right click desktop to have the menu, then:
    system --> add/remove softwares
    You're now in package manager ; go to Edit menu --> repositories and select the 3 above.

2/ install aMSN 0.97
    go back to Browse tab (it was only this way it worked for me for Pidgin)
    click application in the left window, then go to graphical internet applications
    click on optional packages
    select aMSN (it is located at the very top of the list)
    then click close
    then click apply

aMSN should install like a charm with this method. I did not try it with aMSN but it worked this way with PidgIn for me, only this way, except for the libpurple to be removed, but I think it is not necessary to remove it here. If it does not work, try to go further and see my post:
    viewtopic.php?f=13&t=747

WARNING: removing libpuruple, even if a newer version is installed with pidgin 1.4.3 will make calendar and email and acerIM not able to work anymore!!!

within, Aug 5, 2008
  8. toffee

gerarddelafas

Re: How to install aMSN version 0.97.2 to my Acer Aspire One?

I've the same problem...

gerarddelafas, Aug 5, 2008
  9. toffee

BrandonMB

I am having the same issue. aMSN just released a new version in order to take into account some changes that MSN made. I cannot get the older version to work, and the new one can only be installed with the tarball, or the TL package manager, which I don't have, and don't know where to get.

If anyone can get the new aMSN version installed, will probably have to use the Fedora tarball, please post instructions. Thank you!

BrandonMB, Aug 6, 2008
  10. toffee

Loke

Hi,

I was able to install the new version by using the generic package found from the aMSN homepage by following these steps:

• To find out the current version of TCL, open terminal and type 'tclsh' or 'wish. When tcl interpreter has started, type 'info patchlevel'. This will print out the version of tcl. Type 'exit' to quit the interpreter.[/*:m:27pb54st]
    • Download the generic installer from http://www.amsn-project.net/linux-downloads.php. Remember to pick one using the same version of tcl/tk found from your computer (I had tcl/tk 8.4 installed).[/*:m:27pb54st]
    • The generic installer uses autopackage, so you should read the installation instruction from http://www.autopackage.org/docs/howto-install/ to understand the installation process.[/*:m:27pb54st]
    • Remove the installed version of amsn from the package manager.[/*:m:27pb54st]
    • Open terminal and go to your download folder. I used firefox and the stantard download folder is '/home/user/Downloads/.[/*:m:27pb54st]
    • Type 'su' and enter the superuser's password (The password asked during first boot).[/*:m:27pb54st]
    • Type 'bash <installed package> (in my case this was 'bash amsn-0.97.2-1.tcl84.x86.package' and follow the instructions. (Install autopackage support code if asked. The installation requires a working network connection)[/*:m:27pb54st]
    • aMsn is now installed. I had the aMsn icon already placed on to the desktop of Linpus in the "Connect" section and the new version started when I clicked the icon.[/*:m:27pb54st]
    • Connect to MSN.[/*:m:27pb54st]

Loke, Aug 6, 2008
  11. toffee

within

@ Loke: thanks for the info ;)

within, Aug 6, 2008
  12. toffee

ensoph

I've done everything up to this point, but when trying to execute the package (as indicated on step 4 of the instructions on the autopacage website) I get the following error: "The autopackage support code could not be installed. It can be manually downloaded and installed by running the installation script located in the downloaded archive."

What should I do now? I'm stuck and I'm a Linux noob.

Thanks for your help!

ensoph, Aug 7, 2008
  13. toffee

Loke

This means that for some reason the installation process could not download and install the needed support code (the actual installer) automatically. There is couple of possible solutions:

• The support code could not be installed since you were not running the installation process as a superuser. (This is my first bet). Thus, I would recommend that you skip the installation instructions given in the autopackage homepage and follow my instructions. The homepage was added to my instructions only as a reference anyway... If you cannot install amsn by following my instructions, then you should read the next bullet.[/*:m:1s1vh2jc]
    • The support code can be downloaded by following links provided by this FAQ entry: http://www.autopackage.org/faq.html#2_2. I guess that one should download the core package first, unpack the package and install it. After that one should install the gui. However, I suggest that you try installing the package from the command line and if that does not work, then install the support code manually.[/*:m:1s1vh2jc]

Loke, Aug 7, 2008
  14. toffee

Loke

I noticed that my amsn icon disappeared after I rebooted my computer. To get the icon back to on to the "Connect" section of the default workbench, I opened the /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml file and search the following line:

Code:
    <app sequence="2" acs="amsn">/usr/share/applications/fedora-amsn.desktop</app>

I replaced that line with following line:

Code:
    <app sequence="2" acs="amsn">/usr/share/applications/amsn.desktop</app>

After that I rebooted the computed and everything works (Note that you might different sequence numbers in your file. This example should however give you the general idea...

Loke, Aug 7, 2008
  15. toffee

ensoph

I followed your instructions but when the package was installing I got an error "unable to install package because of missing TK GUI" or something like that. How can I install the missing TK GUI?

Thanks for the info!

ensoph, Aug 8, 2008
  16. toffee

BrandonMB

I foun this to be the easiest method. Open a terminal window and type
    Sudo yum install -y tk

This will install the missing items for Tcl.

Once this is complete, change directory into your Downloads directory again and type:
    package install <package name - for me it was `amsn-0.97.2-1.tcl84.x86.package'>

This will then automatically startup the package installer and complete the install process.

BrandonMB, Aug 15, 2008
Ask a Question