How To: Install /home to SDHC Linux Mint 7

Discussion in 'Linux' started by 31Fevereiro, Jun 16, 2009.

1. 31Fevereiro

31Fevereiro

Hello forum. After getting so much from all of you I've decided to give something back. So, here goes!
    Picture this scenario:

An Acer AAO 8gbsdd, 1.5mb ram and the will to install Linux Mint 7.0.
    So far so good. My goal was to install partition / to the 8gb ssd and the /home partition I'd like it to rest on a 8gb sdhc card I've bought just for this.
    As some of you know (either the easy or the hard way) sdhc card don't get recognised so after booting from the live ISO as was stuck with only my ssd to install gloria.

After quite a while experimenting almost everything i've read, i' tooked another aproach. So all this was raaly just so leave this simple tutorial on how to install Gloria on Aspire one with a sdhc card for /home.

Ingredients:
    the obvious (Acer AAO, sdhc).
    not so obvious (an sd card 512mb, 1gb, 2gb, whatever... just make sure it isn't hc).

Boot the aao with de live iso, the SD card on the right and the SDHC card on the left.

Set partitions and start instalation.

Reboot.

Fire up Terminal and "sudo /etc/modprobe.d/sdHcFix.conf"
    type "options sdhci debug_quirks=1"
    close file

Reboot

By now you should see the SDHC card mounted on desktop.
    Format it to the filesystem of your choice.
    Open Terminal, type "mount"
    find wich device(sdcard) is mounted to home (dev/mmcblk0p0 or dev/mmcblk0p1)
    type "blkid" to find out the UUID of the device(sdcard)
    copy UUID value
    type "sudo nano /etc/fstab"
    change the value of the UUID of the device mounted as home for the one you copied.

Getting close to the end.
    Now it's time to create an exact copy of the /home partition to the SDHC card.
    type "sudo rsync -axS --exclude='/*/.gvfs' /home/. /path to the sdhc card/."
    That's it.
    Reboot and enjoy.

Ok, I'll admit it not the cleanniest aproach, but hey, it worked.

31Fevereiro, Jun 16, 2009
Ask a Question