How to install new themes

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by greeneyedsoandso, Oct 9, 2008.

1. greeneyedsoandso

greeneyedsoandso

I've followed the guide to install the full Xfce interface, now i would like to add more themes. if i understand correctly, window frames are handled separately from window contents? so i would like to know how to install themes for each such that they appear in Window Manager Settings and User Interface Settings. thanks.

greeneyedsoandso, Oct 9, 2008
  2. greeneyedsoandso

Tux Fan

I'd also like help on this.

What I've tried so far:

Download a theme from http://www.xfce-look.org/ anc have tried gtk 1.x gtk 2.x and XFCE
    Each option downloads a folder with elements of a theme in, i.e bottom right active xpm etc

If i browse to /usr/share/themes/

then it seems as if all the systems themes are here, I then sudo thunar to copy the downloaded theme folder to /usr/share/themes/

I then go to settings-user interface settings and the theme is not there, also tried in window manager settings.

I've also tried copying the theme to .theme and have placed the theme contents in a folder called xfwm4 as all of the other themes are packed in folders under their names with this heading. FOR EXAMPLE: /usr/share/themes/Agua/xfwm4 with the theme contents inside.

I hope someone can help as themes are REALLY important to me.
    Hope any of this is useful to someone so we can work out how to do it!

Tux Fan, Oct 9, 2008
  3. greeneyedsoandso

Tux Fan

Right then, just a little update.

I picked a theme that I dont like (beastie) and copied over the contents of a downloaded xfce theme replacing the original contents of beastie with a new downloaded theme.

AND THIS WORKED!!!!

However, just replacing standard themes, isn't great, I'd like to be able to just put my own folders in there, but this gives me hope that it is possible, and worse case scenario this does work.

MODS: please feel free to delete all my gibberish in these posts once a solution has been found.

Tux Fan, Oct 9, 2008
  4. greeneyedsoandso

ClassicS40

you will have most fun with compiz and compiz themes.

just press alt+f2 then type in : compiz-manager and the enter

right click and go to compiz, you can edit themes and download really cool ones.

here is a link to my first compiz tricks : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGNYNgOD ... re=channel

have a look a my other vids too ;)

cheers

ClassicS40, Jun 9, 2009
  5. greeneyedsoandso

elektricat

To spruce up your look even more, navigate to the following folder usr/share/backgrounds/images and you will find all the images for the green, blue, brown and yellow boxes on your screen! Open them in kolour or whatever, save them then reboot. You will need to edit this folders permissions in sudo thunar first.

Before editing them though, I recommend you copy all these images to a back up folder in "my documents" so you will not lose them forever. You can also apply this to your themes if like you said you don't want to simply replace them!

Have fun!

elektricat, Jul 2, 2009
Ask a Question