How to install opera?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by iceman, Aug 18, 2008.

1. iceman

iceman

I've searched add/remove programs but opera doesn't seem to be there. How can I install it?

iceman, Aug 18, 2008
  2. iceman

BlackLagoon

Opera isn't open source, so you won't find it in the add/remove programs list. Instead, go to Opera's website and download the Fedora rpm there. Run it from the file manager and Opera will appear in the advanced menu.

BlackLagoon, Aug 19, 2008
  3. iceman

iceman

iceman, Aug 20, 2008
  4. iceman

ZimberZanger

It's the 5,6,7,8 version you need ...

When Software Installer had installed it and the dependencies I could only start Opera by either changing the Preferred Application for Browser to Opera or by typing 'opera' in a terminal - ie it didn't show up in the 'Connect' section.

I saw that 'opera.desktop' was in usr/local/share/applications rather than /usr/share/applications as the rest of the apps are, so I copied it to /usr/share/applications (had to be su to do that) and then added this line to /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml:

<app sequence="x">/usr/share/applications/opera.desktop</app>

(replace x by your required location of the Opera 'O')

though I could have changed the line to .../usr/local/share/applications/opera.desktop... and not copied the file I suppose.

This added the icon, but started Opera with the %u error - fixed by changing the line Exec=opera %u to Exec=opera in opera.desktop (opened in Mousepad, changed the line, saved the file again).

HTH.

ZimberZanger, Sep 1, 2008
Ask a Question