HOW TO INSTALL SOFTWARE AND/OR PACKAGES AT UBUNTU?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by lfogs, Oct 12, 2008.

1. lfogs

lfogs

I'm new when it concerns working with based Linux OS.
    So there's a problem for me when i'm traying to install any software (package) downloaded from internet.
    While ".deb" are easy to install because i only have to run the file and it will install by itself, files with common archive formats like "tar.gz", "tar.bz2", "zip" and bin, are not so easy, and there's my limitation...

I do know that the files with all that extensions are compressed files, and i've already uncompressed them to a previous user folder, then i find lots of files but i don't know what to do with them (what is the main file to install the aplication?).

I've already read the Ubuntu Documentation:https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingSoftware

But i still can't install anything...
    Everything i've installed i've used "Add/Remove" or by running ".dev" files...

Is there any basic tutorial for me to learn how to install in Linux OS?

lfogs, Oct 12, 2008
  2. lfogs

scottro

I have one for tarballs at

http://home.nyc.rr.com/computertaijutsu/tarball.html

Keep in mind that for Ubuntu, you would first want to do
    aptitude install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

This will install some tools that will be necessary for doing the compiling.

scottro, Oct 12, 2008
  3. lfogs

stevo

What kind of programs are you trying to install? As a newbie, files in the "bin" or "run" format usually contain precompiled static binaries that will run on most all recent Linuxes.

Compiling big programs from source code in the tarballs (tar.gz) can be a major undertaking, and lead to a lot of frustration for a beginner. Unless you build them into a .deb package, they also will not appear in your system's package management system...but if you like solving puzzles, go for it! You will run into a lot of them....

stevo, Oct 13, 2008
Ask a Question