How to install ThinkFree Office suite on my AA1-Linux

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by ArievH, Oct 26, 2008.

1. ArievH

ArievH

Hello,
    It would be very nice if someone would help me howto install ThinkFree Office suite on my AA1
    I downloaded the free trial version to the downloadfolder
    Double-clicking on the file results in the question if I would like to minstall the programm.
    Clicking on OK results in the message that the "repairefile" is missing????
    (note: I own a Dutch version of the AA1. The Linpus on it is a -very bad- translation of the English version, so I don't know if "repairfile" is a correct Linux-term. The Dutch word in the message is: "reparatiebestand")

I've searched a lot in the beginners section of this great forum, but I cannot find this message, or what to do with it.

Please help!

Sincerely
    Arie

ArievH, Oct 26, 2008
  2. ArievH

joseph

Hi don,t speak dutch myself but had a quick look at google for reparatiebestand and think you may have to try a patch for this file try typing reparatiebestand into google you will understand more than me cheers

joseph, Oct 26, 2008
  3. ArievH

ArievH

I am under the impression that I've bought a (what we call in Holland) "monday-morning-product"
    Why?
    I can't install my HP Colorlaserjet 1600 printer, because the foo2hp26000-wrapper package is missing.
    I downloaded the package in which it is. Unpacked it, but: When I try to install it, terminal says: make: command not found
    It seems that I'm missing the development packages.
    (At least: Jasper states: You are missing the development packages:
    viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1993
    However, compiling stuff is not something meant for the average/beginning Linux user.
    HTH, --Japser.Japser)

I updated Fedora by:
    sudo yum -y update fedora-release
    and then
    sudo yum -y update cups
    But still no results for the make-command, so I'm not able to install these development packages

When I try to update the system by using the package updater, the machine constantly messages:
    "Error resolving dependencies"
    When I click on "details", lots of messages of missing dependencies appear as wel as notification conflicts.

Now I seem to need a patch for "reparatiebestand", which I offcourse can't install (If I can find it at all!) because the "make-command" is missing.

Is it an idea to use the recover-CD to try to get a "clean" install of Linpus, in order to obtain all the missing objects?

Every suggestion is welcome!
    (some of my friends and colleagues bought an Asus eeepc!, they CAN do all the things I CAN'T do with my Acer. They are grinning in my face! I HATE THAT :evil: )

Sincerely
    Arie

ArievH, Oct 26, 2008
  4. ArievH

Grim Squeaker

reparatiebestand = patch ;)

Let me look at this app...
    EDIT: oh god, it is javabased. That means it will probably run like.. a brick ?
    But still - starting the install ;)

My steps sofar:
    0. Installed the official Sun Java, as explained at http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/09/inst ... e-one.html
    1. Downloaded the linux netbook editon
    2. Opened up a terminal
    3. chmod u+x TFO-3.5.1088.30-linux-en-gui-netbook-TFN-trial30.sh (to make it executable)
    4. sudo ./TFO-3.5.1088.30-linux-en-gui-netbook-TFN-trial30.sh (to run as root)

And it installed no problem. Probably a doubleclick does not run the file as an executable.

Aside: why do you want thinkfree office ? Open Office 3 is free - as is googles online app ;)

Grim Squeaker, Oct 27, 2008
  5. ArievH

ArievH

Hello Grim Squeaker,

Many thanks for your help!
    The only reason I (thought I needed) ThinkFree Office is, because it can handle MSO-2007 files.
    Until now I thought that Open Office could not.
    Now I know that Open Office release 3 CAN.
    Tha's nice.
    So I downloaded OO3 to my AA1
    Unpacked the package to a directory
    But then: The installation instructions that are on the Dutch Open Office site read:
    "cd to the folder containing the files that handle desktopintegration"
    My question: What folder is that?
    And further it reads:
    "remove all rpm-files that are not suitable for your system"
    My question: what files are that?

As you can see, I am a complete Linux-rookie, but I try to learn fast.
    Any help would be very welcome...

Sincerely
    Arie

ArievH, Oct 27, 2008
  6. ArievH

Grim Squeaker

Just follow these instructions:
    http://macles.blogspot.com/2008/10/inst ... spire.html

The Dutch version is - of course - under nl. Personally I would however just go for English; just like I kept the main language of the One on English. Translations tend to make me sad.

Succes met installeren en veel computerplezier ;)

Grim Squeaker, Oct 27, 2008
  7. ArievH

ArievH

Dear Grim Squeaker,

THANKS A LOT!!! You are really great!
    I've installed OpenOffice 3.0 without one problem, using the guide on macles!
    Fantastic!! (zelf gemaakt?? ;) )

Misschien heb/weet jij ook zo'n handige handleiding hoe ik het programma "foo2hp2600-wrapper" kan installeren, zodat ik ook kan printen?

Edit: I did it!. Last night I managed to install, so I'm able to print now. (we're making progress! :D )
    Groeten

Arie

ArievH, Oct 27, 2008
  8. ArievH

ArievH

Well, I've installed ThinkFree as wel.
    The reason?
    I noticed that OpenOffice3 handles the layout of more complex MO2007-docs (.docx) not as good as ThinkFree.
    In fact, OO3 messes up a lot of the docs I often uses (I must agree, only the complex ones)
    ThinkFree is also very fast.
    So now I have two Wordprocessors on my AA1, from which I can print, while a week ago I could not install anything!
    I am happy :D

Sincerely

Arie

ArievH, Oct 28, 2008
Ask a Question