How to install windows xp professional SP3

Discussion in 'Windows' started by wjose77, Mar 20, 2009.

1. wjose77

wjose77

Hi

Recently I had the chance to get hold on a software for educational purposes and try to install it on my AAO. The thing is that it wouldn't let me because my AAO has Windows XP home edition and the minimum requirement is Windows XP professional SP2. So I'm in desperate need on step by step instructions on how to install or upgrade (if possible) my Windows OS. I have a copy of the Windows XP Professional SP3 but, since I'm not a "wiz" with computers, I don't want to mess up my AAO or my data. The questions I have are:

1. Can I upgrade or install Windows XP professional SP3 without formating the HDD, losing my data or having problems with the AAO drivers?
    2. Where can I get instructions on how to do it?
    3. Is more desirable to make a new partition and install Windows XP professional SP3 there? is the system going to be stable with this solution?
    4. Is it a better solution to get a virtual machine (VMware, Virtualbox or other) to "guest" Windows XP professional SP3? are these softwares suitable to run on the XP home edition?

Please, I'll be most grateful for the insight you can give on the matter

Cheers...

wjose77, Mar 20, 2009
  2. wjose77

jackluo923

1. No you can't upgrade. The XP on AAO does not support upgrading.
    2. There's no instructions because it's not possible
    3. Yes, it'll be more desirable and more stable
    4. You can use Vmware (you can get it for "free" for educational purposes) and install Windows XP Professional SP3 on it.

jackluo923, Mar 20, 2009
  3. wjose77

templar

I am betting that updating your AA! to XP Home SP3 which should be easily done through windows update will work. It is an automatic update from sp1 and sp2. There are differences between Pro and Home, but most things will run.

greg

templar, Mar 20, 2009
  4. wjose77

goofball

what software is this that requires Pro? There are very few apps that "require" xp pro though i can think of a few.

goofball, Mar 20, 2009
  5. wjose77

jackluo923

except the stock windows xp home on the AAO already has SP3 pre-installed.

jackluo923, Mar 20, 2009
  6. wjose77

wjose77

The software has to do with siemens PLC simatic programming. I found a solution already. Got a hold on a copy of VMware workstation and installed a virtual machine with a copy of my XP professional.... it works like a charm... thamks for your help and comments.

wjose77, Mar 21, 2009
Ask a Question