How to make MTU change perm

Discussion in 'Linux' started by grev, Dec 29, 2008.

1. grev

grev

Hi, I'm a newb to Linpus & Linux, so need some help pls.
    My MTU settings need to be 1460 to get a reasonable speed to internet. Using Google search I've worked out...

sudo ifconfig eth0 mtu 1460

will force the MTU to value of 1460. Tried this and all is well and speeds are fine. As soon as shutdown and reboot it goes back to default of 1500 (and slow speeds again).
    Does anyone know how to add this to a bootup script somewhere and/or change the MTU default of 1500 to 1460 ?
    Thanks in advance,
    Grev

grev, Dec 29, 2008
  2. grev

markh

There's a discussion of different methods to autostart scripts here. The first method without the delay might be what you need. Hope that helps.

markh, Dec 29, 2008
  3. grev

rbil

Maybe you can add: MTU=1460 to the top of this script,
    /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth

to accomplish what you want?

Cheers.

rbil, Dec 30, 2008
  4. grev

grev

rbil, thanks for the idea to add MTU line to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifup-eth
    Added it to the end of the script and it seemed to work after restart, which is what I was looking for. Need to check if it does the same after goes to sleep and reconnects.

markh, thanks for the link to the autostart scripts posts. I'm having a read through to see if I can learn something from this.

Very happy with your replies on this, thanks again. This Linux stuff is pretty hard (but interesting) to get to grips with, after being lazt through the various windows gui's !
    grev

grev, Dec 31, 2008
  5. grev

Guest Guest

Can anyone suggest how do set the wifi mtu to 1400 on startup? I have tried something similar to the above but without success.

Guest, Jan 11, 2009
Ask a Question