How to make web videos run smoother?

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by schiznatch, Jun 13, 2009.

1. schiznatch

schiznatch

Hi, I have the A150, XP version with the maxed 1.5 gigs of RAM and I was wondering if there was any way to make online videos (youtube, google videos, etc.) run smoother? I understand that the videos are going to be kind of laggy whenever they are loading, but even when I pause the video and let it load completely before I play it, it still isn't as smooth as it seems like it should be. I don't have a bunch of junk on my computer and I'm not running a bunch of programs and I don't have a crappy ISP and I know this is just a netbook. I have heard of GMA Booster and I'm not trying to overclock or anything like that, I'm just wondering if there is some settings I can adjust or anything to make the videos run smoother? Or is there any other software that helps the whole computer run faster? It would help to have myspace load a little faster also. I haven't tried fan controls or anything like that because I don't think they would actually help the graphics of the computer. Any help would be appreciated! (Btw... I wasn't sure where to post this and I did look for a forum with this topic for those of you that like to attack people for placing topics in the wrong forums!)

Note: Has anyone ever had any problems watching guitar hero videos on youtube? I have watched guitar hero videos and several times while watching it, the computer will just freeze up and go to the blue screen of death. It's like it can't handle videos that have too much going on. It mainly does it while watching the guy that beats Through The Fire And Flames with 100% on expert mode.

schiznatch, Jun 13, 2009
  2. schiznatch

LadyK

I would love an answer to this as well. :)

LadyK, Jun 16, 2009
  3. schiznatch

NORMAN85

You must have some kinda defective stuff because my videos play great ...they did great at 1 gb of ram and now 1.5 with no change. Hulu looks amazing youtube videos are fine ...id check my internet connection if I were you ..and if its not that and others arent sucking up all your bandwith than you have broken equipment ..goodluck I have fiber optic at home in jersey 28 meg download and they run smooth ...im on dsl at my girlfriends in alabama and as long as noone else is using up the bandwith they look amazing and smooth with no problem at all at 1 meg download speed

EDIT : just watched through the fire and flames gh3 video on youtube ..the one with 90 thousand views or whatever in high quality on dsl...smooth and perfect no issues like i said you guys must have broken stuff ...goodluck

NORMAN85, Jun 16, 2009
  4. schiznatch

Tamrac

Replace Mcafee with AVIRA.... that's one major thing you could do(if you havent done so yet) to improve the videos. Post above is correct, there should not be any problems with youtube. And forget GMA booster, it does NOT improve anything.

Tamrac, Jun 16, 2009
  5. schiznatch

schiznatch

Yes, I hate Mcafee. Used the Mcafee removal tool as soon as I got the laptop and put avira antivir and spybot on it.

schiznatch, Jun 16, 2009
  6. schiznatch

schiznatch

Well, the videos aren't as bad as I probably made it sound like, but when comparing to my desktop that has dual-core processor and video card, etc., it doesn't look quite as good. I expect that because it's not made for that, but was just curious if I could make it better. Thanks for your reply.

EDIT: I just watched that video and it played without freezing up and was pretty smooth. I think it was because we got the original ones that had 512mb and i watched it then. Now with 1.5 gigs it played fine. Not the highest quality, but like i said, it's a netbook.

schiznatch, Jun 16, 2009
  7. schiznatch

LadyK

I do share a network here at home, so could that be the problem? sometimes the videos are smooth, other times, not so much. Just watched the same video y'all watched and it was fine.

LadyK, Jun 16, 2009
  8. schiznatch

schiznatch

Yes, I do run off a wireless home network and I understand that it has less bandwidth. My router is hidden and encrypted and all that good stuff so nobody else is using my network.

schiznatch, Jun 17, 2009
  9. schiznatch

LadyK

That is how mine is, except I'm not using it alone. there are three laptops altogether in my house using this network, and my sister does when she comes over.

LadyK, Jun 17, 2009
  10. schiznatch

Ghettobob

Even if I am on a fast connection. The video does not flow perfectly. Is there any tips?

Ghettobob, Jun 17, 2009
  11. schiznatch

schiznatch

I just noticed that your signature line said that your One has 2GB or RAM. Lol, I wish they could have 2 gigs of ram. They have 512MB soldered onto the motherboard and you can only add another gig to make it 1.5 gigs. Just thought I point that out. ;)

schiznatch, Jun 17, 2009
  12. schiznatch

LadyK

Yeah, I have the 10.1" AAO D150, so the slot can fit 2GB and not just 1.5 GB, thankfully. :lol:

LadyK, Jun 18, 2009
  13. schiznatch

LadyK

Hmm, I wonder if there would be any solutions for that as well. :?:

LadyK, Jun 18, 2009
  14. schiznatch

mollymalone

I've got the same problem with my Aspire One AOA150. (1Mb RAM) I want to be able to watch TV programmes online but they're jerky -they just don't run smoothly. I'm on a wireless network with reasonable broadband speed, certainly sufficient bandwidth to play videos. Is there a driver I can download to improve the playback? It seems there are a few of us with this problem. Help!

mollymalone, Jul 16, 2009
  15. schiznatch

kentris

If you're watching videos through Firefox they're gonna be laggy.

Something to do with the coding of the Flash plugin. It runs a lot smoother with IE.

kentris, Sep 9, 2009
  16. schiznatch

mollymalone

Thanks for your suggestion, Kentris. Much appreciated. Unfortunately the lag problem persists with IE as well (I had been using Firefox so was excited at the prospect of resolving this issue.). I'm wondering if it may be something to do with my wireless connection as there do seem to be breaks in transmission which causes YouTube videos to stall. In the meantime I've gone back to watching programmes on my PC...

mollymalone, Sep 18, 2009
  17. schiznatch

jsquared3000

If you are connecting through wi-fi. Access your the Atheros Wireless Adapter through device manager and turn off the power save mode. This helped with streaming video

jsquared3000, Sep 19, 2009
  18. schiznatch

mollymalone

Thanks jsquared3000, switching off the power save mode sorted the breaks in transmission. Videos don't stop and start now. Watching TV programs is still problematic (using iPlayer in UK/iView in Australia). It's very jerky, as if there are insufficient frames per second. Any ideas re settings on other devices?

mollymalone, Sep 19, 2009
  19. schiznatch

jsquared3000

I tried to watch a show on iplayer but was not permitted due to not being in the UK? I watch many videos on my AA1 and don't seem to have the same problem. Do you have an external LCD monitor to see if the video behaves the same?

20. schiznatch

jsquared3000

Just drawing at straws. Could be the player is using to much of the CPU %? Download adobe shockwave player. If it doesnt change things it is easy to remove.

Ask a Question