How to mount an Ipod as external drive?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by mbyrod, Sep 3, 2008.

1. mbyrod

mbyrod

Hi
    I'm trying to use my Ipod as an external drive to move some files to my A110. Can't make it work though, first time trying linux...
    Any ideas?

mbyrod, Sep 3, 2008
  2. mbyrod

3earnhardt3

Mine worked for me as soon as i plugged it in....

3earnhardt3, Sep 3, 2008
  3. mbyrod

goestas

I also have this problem, maybe I messed something up? (I set up the right-click menu, among other small things, using the how-tos in this forum, thanks! But otherwise my command-line linux knowledge is nil..) My ipod (4th gen nano) is set up to mount as a filesystem under os X, so no issue there. When I plug it into the One, the ipod screen says: "connected, eject before disconnecting", so something is happening. But it does not appear in the file manager at all. Volume management (under settings) is configured to automount removables, as it is by default.

Possibility: my ipod is too new? All the files, documentation etc. that I can find in the filesystem is from earlier thus year, before the 4th gen nano came out. Perhaps HAL needs to be updated before I can mount this one? I know, I should try mounting another USB flash drive, just don't have one available right now.

Thanks in advance!

PS: ls -la /media shows the following (I think that means the ipod isn't there?):

total 44
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 2008-11-14 08:26 .
    drwxr-xr-x 25 root root 4096 2008-11-14 09:25 ..
    drwxr-xr-x 9 user root 32768 2008-11-14 08:26 disk
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 92 2008-11-14 08:26 .hal-mtab
    -rw------- 1 root root 0 2008-11-14 08:26 .hal-mtab-lock

and here is what I get when I type "mount". Unfortunately, I don't know what refers to what (as I said, linux/unix newbie), but I shall try to reason it out below:

[user@localhost disk]$ mount
    /dev/sda1 on / type ext2 (rw)
    none on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
    none on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
    none on /sys type sysfs (rw)
    none on /mnt/home type aufs (rw,si=d59c78c0,xino=/home/user/.aufs.xino,create=mfs,dirs=/home/user=rw:/tmp/posixdir=rw)
    /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/disk type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,utf8,shortname=winnt,uid=500)
    posix-overlay(/media/disk) on /tmp/posixdir type fuse.posixovl (rw,nosuid,default_permissions,allow_other)

ok, "/media/disk" seems to be the sdhc expansion card in the left sd slot. That also seems to be what "/tmp/posixdir" refers to. "/dev/sda1 on / type ext2 (rw)", pointing to the root directory, is, then, the internal volume, am I right so far? So the ipod is definitely not mounted. Is it available, though, or not recognized at all? This is where I need one of you experts, to guide me past this point.

Please let me know (specific commands please!) if you need any other info. Thanks!

goestas, Nov 14, 2008
  4. mbyrod

goestas

UPDATE.

I organized a regular USB flash drive, which mounts fine on the AA1. However, I can't write to it, it appears to be mounted with root permission only. I'm now going to attempt to figure out how to change that (any suggestions?)

My ipod doesn't mount under Windows XP either, leading to the conclusion that there's an incompatibility on the Apple side, with the new Nanos. This weekend I will have access to a Mac again, I shall transfer the files that I need from there. However, if someone knows/discovers a fix, I'd love to hear it! Thanks!

goestas, Nov 14, 2008
  5. mbyrod

ronime

ronime, Nov 14, 2008
  6. mbyrod

goestas

Thanks for the suggestions; yes, disk use is enabled, as far as I know, since I've already used it successfully as a file system under OS X., also on an older Mac without iTunes 8 (only iTunes 8 will recognize the new nanos, due to the - questionable - "genius" feature, but any os X seems to be able to use them as a file system). I was surprised that it wouldn't mount on my landlord's PC, which claimed the iPod was unformatted.

The issue with my San Disk Cruzer, btw., apparently was its being formatted as ntfs, which the AA1 appears to be able to read, but not write. I muddled through reformatting it, but still have the pesky U3 partition on it. If anyone can give me clear instructions on how to remove all partitions and format the Cruzer as a file system that both Mac and Linpus Lite (and, preferably, also Windows) can use, please help. I shall try reformatting under OS X this weekend. Sorry, this should probably go under a separate heading?

goestas, Nov 14, 2008
  7. mbyrod

ronime

Sounds like your iPod is formatted with HFS+ for Macs, not FAT32 for Windows. AFAIK, most Linux systems will not work with HFS+ out of the box but can do so with additional filesystem drivers.

ronime, Nov 16, 2008
  8. mbyrod

goestas

That sounds exactly right. Now, are HFS+ drivers available for AA1, and if so, where, and how do I install them? THAT would make my day!

goestas, Nov 17, 2008
  9. mbyrod

Grim Squeaker

If you type
    Code:
    sudo yum update ntfs-3g
    in a terminal that problem should be solved.

Of course, the reason for Acer playing it safe is that the NTFS drivers for linux are reverse engineered (Microsoft refuses to disclose how NTFS works) and as such could contain flaws that could destroy data if you are unlucky.

There are U3 removal tools available at the sandisk and U3 websites :) There should also be a removal option in the U3 Launchpad.
    http://www.u3.com/support/#CQ3

Grim Squeaker, Nov 17, 2008
Ask a Question