How to partition ubuntu on SSD

Discussion in 'Linux' started by thatisandwas, Sep 18, 2008.

1. thatisandwas

thatisandwas

Hey guys,
    Im trying to figure out how i should go about partitioning my 8 gig SSD on my acer aspire one. I understand that i should use EXT2 since it is an ssd, but what about mount points? Should i just create 1 / mount and a swap? Or should i create a /home part as well? What size should they be? Thanks alot!

thatisandwas, Sep 18, 2008
  2. thatisandwas

patb

Personal choice of course but here is my setup for what it's worth.

The whole SSD /dev/sda1 formatted ext2 and devoted to root partition /.

An 8 Gb SD card in the left side slot /dev/mmcblk0p1 formatted ext2 and entirely devoted to /home partition.

I don't have a swap partition because I want to minimise writing to the SSD. (But I have 1.5 Gb of RAM). I also use an external USB drive for serious storage.

Hope this helps. Cheers, Pat

patb, Sep 18, 2008
  3. thatisandwas

thatisandwas

I ended up going with a 3.5 gb / with ext2, a 3.5 /home with ext2, and a 1024 swap. 52 percent done as i type this. I had a 2g Surf and just got my Acer a couple days ago. I LOVE IT. It completely blows away the EEE in terms of build quality, screen, and performance. I love it.

thatisandwas, Sep 18, 2008
  4. thatisandwas

axcairns

I just went all of the ssd as root and mounted the left sdhc as /media/expansion.

Disclaimer - 1.5GB memory

axcairns, Sep 18, 2008
  5. thatisandwas

mistseeker

Guys,

I'd like your help on this.

I have an AA1 with the SSD and 1 gig Ram, running Ubuntu Hardy, (petaramesh's kernel.)

I recently bought an SDHC card, 16GB and put it into the expansion slot.
    Is there a how-to with all the steps needed to mount it as /home (and set so that it automounts when Hardy boots)?
    Better even, is there a how-to, or a patch so that it's merged with the SSD the way Linpus did it?

Thanks in advance.

mistseeker, Sep 25, 2008
  6. thatisandwas

donec

When you use manual partition and set the SDHC as your root it will mount that way when you boot but you can't remove the SDHC while the computer is running since it will loose your setup and you will need to power down with the power switch. However! when you put it back in and reboot you system will continue to work.

donec, Sep 27, 2008
Ask a Question