How to set xfce's new wdm as default *solved*

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Foranamo, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Foranamo

Foranamo

Hi.

I was updating some packages, but went a bit too far. Updating xfdesktop second time (pretty sure I've done it before) resulted in my One with Linpus using some old windowmanager in xfce. Everything looks really old. xfce-setting-show prints out "env: xfce-mcs-manager: No such file or directory". If I manually run xfce-mcs-manager.new it reverts to what it's supposed to look.

What's the best thing I could do to make use of this mcs-manager by default? I know few places I could put that line but I want it to work the best way it can.

Sorry if that makes no sense, it's late, I'm tired and tomorrow is my final exam before the holidays :)

Foranamo, Dec 17, 2008
  2. Foranamo

Foranamo

Re: How to set xfce's new wdm as default

I tried editing /usr/bin/xfdesktop like I did when I enabled the normal xfce desktop, thanks for the how-to rjm :)
    Anyway, the problem I see is that file, or any of those files (xfdesktop2, xfdesktop-xfce..) are no longer bash scripts, they appear to be
    binary, so I couldn't edit any of them. Could this somehow be my problem?

If this is the problem, I'd really appreciate it if someone with Linpus uploaded their xfdesktop*-files so I could revert them to their original state.

I have to say, this Linpus really isn't for someone who wants to make things their way. I swear when I get more RAM installed I'm going to install a different distro, one that isn't as forked as this is.

Foranamo, Dec 18, 2008
  3. Foranamo

RockDoctor

FWIW, you don't need to install more RAM to install a more easily customized distro. Fedora, Ubuntu, Puppy, (and presumably any other distro folks hanging around this forum are using) will work fine with 512MB RAM. Fedora and Ubuntu come in XFCE variants, if that's your thing. Check out the discussions, discount the religious zealotry (including my own), download a distro or two (or three or four...) make yourself a live USB stick and try it out. When you find one that you like, back up your Linpus install (so you can restore it if you have to), install the new distro, and enjoy!

RockDoctor, Dec 18, 2008
  4. Foranamo

Foranamo

Yes, I know and I already know what distro's I like, but I still think 512MB is not enough for a GNOME desktop. Well, I might try it some day. 256MB was definitely not enough when I tried on a desktop computer I got for free. I guess 256MB is the 'limit', what GNOME would happily use all by itself. We'll see.
    I might try to extract the files I need from my Linpus recovery USB-stick, since no one wants to help me :)

Foranamo, Dec 18, 2008
  5. Foranamo

rbil

Code:
    user@localhost: /usr/bin$ ls -l xfdesktop
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 297 2008-06-06 03:17 xfdesktop
    Code:
    user@localhost: /usr/bin$ cat xfdesktop
    #!/bin/sh
    if [ -f /usr/bin/xfce-mcs-manager.new ];then
    sudo mv /usr/bin/xfce-mcs-manager.new /usr/bin/xfce-mcs-manager
    fi
    #/usr/bin/getnum.sh
    /usr/bin/xfdesktop2 & >/dev/null 2>&1
    sleep 5
    if [ -f /usr/bin/xfce-mcs-manager ];then
    sudo  mv /usr/bin/xfce-mcs-manager /usr/bin/xfce-mcs-manager.new
    fi
    Cheers.

rbil, Dec 18, 2008
  6. Foranamo

Foranamo

Thanks.

I copied all /usr/bin/xfdesktop* -files from hdc1._.tar.bz2 and it's working again.

Foranamo, Dec 18, 2008
Ask a Question