Howto: Easy Full System Backup and Restore

Discussion in 'Linux' started by annafil, Sep 10, 2008.

1. annafil

rowantree

Don't think so. You have to back up the MBR as well, not just copy folders. This is why I'm using Clonezilla to get a full disk image (from a 120GB HD it compresses it down to about 10GB). I suspect Macles utility probably does the disk image but don't know about FWBackups.

rowantree, Jan 5, 2009
  2. annafil

Larry58

Larry58, Jan 5, 2009
  3. annafil

Winfried

I want to use this backup system. however, I have a problem to allocate the space on my USB hard disk. This hard disk has three partitions. All in NTFS. One partition is almost empty and I would like to remove it and use it as backup space for the AA1. Do I need to create then a new partition with FAT32 structure? Or is it sufficient that the disk has a free space?

Winfried

Winfried, Jan 24, 2009
  4. annafil

Larry58

Winfried--

Not sure it'll work off a partition like that. To my knowledge, the USB flash drive itself needs to be bootable. I've dedicated a 8GB USB stick to AAOBACKUP with no problems at all :D Prices on these things are coming way down.

Larry

Larry58, Jan 24, 2009
  5. annafil

ndirons

Not So Easy Archive Backup Files

I downloaded AA1BACKUP to my AOA, installed it to my USB flash drive, did a backup and restore and everything worked well. :)

I only have one decent USB flash drives. Now I want to copy the ./backup/aa1.* files off my USB flash drive onto windows XP. Win XP says they are not formatted. (Seems the USB flash drive was probably FAT32 but now it is a linux format.)

I want to just stick the USB flash drive into the Win XP USB port. How do I get the files into my Win XP system so that I can archive them?

ndirons, Jan 28, 2009
  6. annafil

Winfried

Larry
    I think you are right; I should use the simplest method. I will also buy an 8GB stick and dedicate it to the backup.

Winfried

Winfried, Jan 28, 2009
  7. annafil

Spurious

Dear Annafil: your images are not working so we, the linux newbies, don't know what folders to include in your "Full system backup" option... instead images, would you post the script?
    By the way: I prefer this method instead to waste a full 8gb usb pendrive on a backup.
    Cheers..

Spurious, Feb 8, 2009
  8. annafil

bcrawfo

linux noob here...

need a folder list for the full system backup. images are no longer working!

bcrawfo, Feb 14, 2009
  9. annafil

theo54au

Yet another one maybe? I have been using the free DOS program Partition-saving for many years without any failures.
    I recently purchased my new toy (AAO) and also here it works excellent.
    You just need a bootable USB stick, copy the program on it, Boot from USB, go to the DOS prompt, start-up the program and follow the onscreen instructions. Simple, safe, failure free (so far) and most of all: it's FREE!
    You can download it here: http://www.partition-saving.com/
    Good luck
    Theo

theo54au, Feb 21, 2009
Ask a Question