Howto: Install media players in Linpus

Discussion in 'Linux' started by zinovsky, Jan 6, 2009.

1. zinovsky

zinovsky

zinovsky, Jan 6, 2009
  2. zinovsky

GanGaSter

Pffff finaly resolved , thank you :D

GanGaSter, Jan 17, 2009
  3. zinovsky

sesam83

sesam83, Jan 26, 2009
  4. zinovsky

nacmac

nacmac, Jan 27, 2009
  5. zinovsky

Guest Guest

i have done this and i now have vlc on my one but all i get is sound when i try and play xvid files how do i get the picture on screen

mike46

Guest, Jan 27, 2009
  6. zinovsky

Guest Guest

i am getting this error now Unable to open '%U'
    when i try to play an AVI file that mplayer plays ok VLC just plays the audio
    mike46

Guest, Jan 27, 2009
  7. zinovsky

markh

These instructions appear to be a particularly shameless copy of macles instructions. They may now be out of date. You might want to read the comments in macles and see if he's updated them in some way.
    Your "%U" is probably due to %U being at the end of the exec= line in the appropriate .desktop file - you can just go in and delete it.

markh, Jan 27, 2009
  8. zinovsky

Guest Guest

please explain how to edit .desktop files i am a complete newbie i only got my ONE on friday and know nothing about linux i followed the macles guide from his blog site. does vlc play xvid files and avi files because it would not play a camera file that mediaplayer does

thanks im 63 and still learning

mike46

Guest, Jan 27, 2009
  9. zinovsky

markh

Try having a look at this thread, which started with a similar question. If it's still clear as mud, just say.

When correctly installed, VLC will play xvid etc. I suspect there's something wrong with the instructions you followed. I think this or this is a good guide, but there's always the danger that they're out of date.

markh, Jan 27, 2009
  10. zinovsky

sesam83

I saw the tutorial of macle and the one of unixmen , are totally different !

sesam83, Jan 28, 2009
  11. zinovsky

Guest Guest

I think my problem is i dont have the codecs because in settings>preferences>input/video>video codecs> i have :-
    Theora; X264; dirac; Fake;
    this being the case do i have to uninstall VLC and start again or is there a way of getting the needed codecs installed into this version 0.8.7 janus(wxWidgets interface

mike46 :?

Guest, Jan 28, 2009
  12. zinovsky

markh

The 2nd half is a direct copy, right down to even copying some of the commentary. Even though it leaves out a couple of useful steps. The java tutorial is equally obviously sourced from the java site. I'm not sure what the benefit of copying things from other sources with some badly spelt additions is.
    I notice the original author isn't here dealing with the queries from his instructions.

markh, Jan 28, 2009
  13. zinovsky

Guest Guest

I have removed vlc now because even after updating to .0.9.5 from kwizart I still could not see the video it played the sound ok
    I updated Mplayer using the pup from the right click menu and then typed 'sudo yum install smplayer' on terminal as per the guide and i can now watch xvid on my one thanks to the great info on here

mike46

Guest, Jan 29, 2009
  14. zinovsky

zinovsky

Which copy and past you re talking about?

zinovsky, Mar 2, 2009
  15. zinovsky

Guest Guest

from this link viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3770&p=25335#p25335 click the select all button then right click and copy, open Terminal and paste the instruction, do this for every instruction, some instructions may need to be repeated to get them to work

mike46

Guest, Mar 4, 2009
  16. zinovsky

zinovsky

Ok ;)

zinovsky, Mar 27, 2009
  17. zinovsky

Aspiration

It is not worth the effort to install VLC because it breaks things like DVD playback. If you don't remove the default mplayer, VLC will not play mp4 (have not tested on other formats although it did also refuse to open and play an audio file... so its almost certain that its totally hosed.). If you do remove mplayer, VLC will play media but not DVDs.
    Why suggest installing VLC? It is pointless and breaks things!

Aspiration, Apr 22, 2009
  18. zinovsky

teixeiras

Advice

My experience with mplayer was the best, it's really the best player of all (windows version have to much bugs to use), i use it since 8 years ago as my first choice player... MKV with high bt rate, that neither vlc or any player, played, with a custom configs can make it really very smooth. But for graphical experience(Since I'm to used to console) I advise u to install mplayer and smplayer, on of best graphical interface to mplayer. The only problem it's to have mplayer with all codecs, I had to compile all by hand, repository binary gave me a lot of problems.... Now there isn't any kind of movie I can't see, even the corrupts on :p (but it takes a little to make reindixing with corrupt ones).

teixeiras, Apr 27, 2009
  19. zinovsky

zinovsky

Mplayer is a great media player too

zinovsky, May 21, 2009
Ask a Question