Howto: Install wine, DirectX 9.0c and windows Games on Linux

Discussion in 'Linux' started by zinovsky, Jan 3, 2009.

1. zinovsky

zinovsky

Hi all,

If you are interested to install directx 9.0c and begin gaming on linux just try the tutorial below, the tuturial is for ubuntu but if you need install it for another linux distributions you can contact me and will help you with the installation.

http://www.unixmen.com/index.php?op...ubuntu-810-using-wine&catid=4:ubuntu&Itemid=7

In the tutorial is described also how to install and play many games like Guild Wars,Civilization IV,Steam, Trackmania Nations Forever, Crimson Skies,RHEM 2 ...

Enjoy !

zinovsky, Jan 3, 2009
  2. zinovsky

Zorofroozo

No one seems to be able to run it decently on linux.
    But the WinXP version seems to be able to run GW decently. with a minimum of 15 fps.

It whould be great for the aspire one community if you were able to translate yur "Howto: Install wine, DirectX 9.0c and windows Games on Linux " guide to the acer aspire one.

as of yet, i does not seem that anyone was able to run Guild Wars decently.

Help whould be greatly appreciated

Zorofroozo, Jan 7, 2009
  3. zinovsky

zinovsky

Actually the tutorial is for Ubuntu , and if you followed it step by step everything may work perfectly , soon will update the tutorial to be used also for Linpus. For Gild of war the installation described on the tutorial did work perfectly on Ubuntu for many peoples, but you can also try to make some optimization to the installation .

First install Wine,Direct X, and Gild Wars as described in the tutorial in the link below :
    http://www.unixmen.net/index.php?op...ubuntu-810-using-wine&catid=4:ubuntu&Itemid=7

Then after th installation of Gild of war try to make some optimizations .

First : Once the installation is done , type in the terminal :

Code:
    env WINEDEBUG=-all WINEPREFIX="~/.wine" wine "Z:\\bin\\gw\\Gw.exe"
    Replace the "Z:\\bin\\gw\\Gw.exe" with your location

Now we have to make some optimizations :

1- Open winecfg and set default to win98
    For audio acceleration set to Alsa In Audio set ALSA Hardware Acceleration to Emulation and check Driver Emulation

2-- Import the latest WINE repo. Add the following to your /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt hardy main

and then type
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update
    Gw.exe Switches

-diag Creates, at startup a file where saved the hardware information and the Network tests, the file is located in your game directory ..\Guild Wars\NetworkDiag.log , make sure to remove it once Guild Wars has finished creating the logfile.
    -dsound Forces the use of old DirectSound software mixer. Good for users whose computers are not compatible with the newer version.

-dx8 Useful for troubleshooting. Forces DirectX 8 compatibility; good for users whose computers are not compatible with the newer version. Using this switch with -noshaders may improve performance as well.

-fps # Limits the frame rate to frames per second, saving computer resources.

-image Forces the game to load a complete update. Important: The program terminates after the update is completed; since Guild Wars will not be able run with this parameter on, make sure to remove it after all the content has been downloaded. Downloading all the contents takes approximately 6 hours to complete at 150KB/s (broadband connection). Recommended: Create an additional shortcut on your desktop to Guild Wars that is labeled "Guild Wars Updater" and has this command line switch.

-mute Disables audio output, but still processes audio data internally (so for instance, lip syncing will still function).

-noshaders Troubleshooting option. Using this switch with -dx8 may improve performance as well.

-nosound Disables audio system completely.

-noui Disables the user interface, producing the same effect as when one pushes Ctrl + Shift + H in-game to toggle it.

-perf Displays performance indicators. Triangles, frames per second and transfer rate in bytes per second are displayed in white text in the upper-right corner of the Guild Wars window.

-repair Attempts to fix the GW.dat file, in which all update information is stored. Warning: If a lot of content has already been downloaded through updates, be prepared for a long wait as Guild Wars reconstructs the file.

-sndasio Useful for troubleshooting. Attempts to use an ASIO driver in software mode.

-sndwinmm Attempts to use the Windows Multimedia audio driver in software mode.

-uninstall Uninstalls Guild Wars.

-windowed Forces Guild Wars to run in windowed mode. Note: You can easily switch to windowed mode by pressing ALT + Enter or clicking the window icon in the upper right corner while the game is already running.

Hope that this will help to make the game run in Aspire One onder Ubuntu.

zinovsky, Jan 7, 2009
  4. zinovsky

Zorofroozo

it doesn't work, max 5fps, probably the gpu driver is to old :s

Zorofroozo, Jan 17, 2009
  5. zinovsky

Penguins

Problem is that some of us are completely new to Linux and thus have a lot of trouble converting that tutorial to Linpus on the fly!

Penguins, Jan 21, 2009
  6. zinovsky

zinovsky

Yes i know that most are new to Linux, we are helping people to build their knowledge on Linux, this tutorial is not that difficult ,and one thing important : This tutorial actually will work for people that have Ubuntu installed, i`m always working in making another tutorial for Linpus.
    Never is difficult to learn linux.
    Please if anyone has problems during the installation , we`re here to help

zinovsky, Jan 22, 2009
  7. zinovsky

shadow

Guys! Try winetricks script. Y`ll love it ;)

shadow, Jan 25, 2009
  8. zinovsky

Zorofroozo

lol, the tutorial does not work yet for linpus linux;) gimme some time to test with new gpu drivers and i'll report back

Zorofroozo, Jan 26, 2009
  9. zinovsky

Penguins

Yeah it'd be helpful if it worked without throwing up errors! ;)

Penguins, Jan 26, 2009
  10. zinovsky

shadow

What kind of errors? It`s really smooth working on my One...

shadow, Jan 27, 2009
  11. zinovsky

Penguins

I can't remember the error codes off hand, there were a lot of them. Pages full. I've since given up, I know it's not a great attitude to have but meh. I'm not prepared to waste hours and hours of my time going round in circles to do something that Windows, despite its faults, could take care of very easily.

Penguins, Jan 31, 2009
  12. zinovsky

zinovsky

zinovsky, Feb 1, 2009
  13. zinovsky

Zorofroozo

try to grasp this please

the driver for the integrated graphics card for the Acer Aspire One is from 2006, you need at least a driver from 2007 to be able to play games decently!

Zorofroozo, Mar 1, 2009
Ask a Question