Huawei E160G on Three (UK)

Discussion in 'Networking' started by pmhtuk, Oct 12, 2008.

1. pmhtuk

pmhtuk

Hello,

I bought an Aspire One last week through Tesco and have been happy since - however i'm due to go to Australia in two weeks time and i'm tempted to buy a Three Mobile Broadband with a Huawei E160G external USB Stick as Three have assured me I can use it in Australia without any additional costs..

I've search the forums (lots of helpful info...) but can't seem to find a straight forward answer as to if anyone is not having any problems with this and the laptop as im hoping to buy the kit this afternoon..

I noticed on the Acer website there is a 3G download - does this retify the problems?

Any help would be great - cheers

pmhtuk, Oct 12, 2008
  2. pmhtuk

westonpf

This combination works fine with AA1 and Linpus but you will need to download and install Gnome-ppp.

In terminal type 'sudo wvdialconf' - this will detect the hardware and configure

Then 'mousepad wvdial.conf' - the config file that wvdialconf created

Change the APN to three.co.uk if the line isn't there add a new line APN=three.co.uk

Run Gnome-ppp and use 3uk or threeuk as the login and password.

westonpf, Oct 12, 2008
  3. pmhtuk

pmhtuk

Ooops - Thanks for the info, but I forgot to mention this is for the Windows XP version

A friend of mine has the Linux one, so i'll forward this to them - thanks!!

pmhtuk, Oct 12, 2008
  4. pmhtuk

adrianaitken

The 3 modem is very likely to be locked to 3. When in Australia you will be paying crippling roaming charges. If they say you won't get it in writing !!!! It'll be easier claiming your money back when you return home :D
    I find it better getting a PAYG SIM for whereever I'm going (so my phone SIM card says in the phone) but my 3G modem is unlocked !!!

adrianaitken, Oct 15, 2008
  5. pmhtuk

CHDesign

I recently went to Austria and topped up my 3 account with 1GB for a month and surfed the net and checked email while there using my download allowance for no extra cost. Austria has a 3 network as does Australia, so you should be able to use your data allowance while you are there. Read the "3 like home" on the website.

Have a nice holiday, and don't worry about data roaming charges. It's slightly different for phones and text, but still cheaper.

Chris.

CHDesign, Oct 18, 2008
  6. pmhtuk

pmhtuk

Hi all, Thanks for the advice

Chris, that sounds great - I've topped mine up also and have been told that it will work fine in the 3 zones - i'm all ready and if not i'll have to kill them when I return!

Thanks again!

pmhtuk, Oct 22, 2008
  7. pmhtuk

panthor

will this work for the E169G on threeuk ??

panthor, Nov 6, 2008
  8. pmhtuk

ricaird

Can I second this question, as I have one of these coming this week.

As it happens, I ordered the Three-branded D100 wireless router to plug the E169 into, so that I can at least connect wirelessly to it, if I can't get it working with the AAO.

ricaird, Nov 30, 2008
Ask a Question