Huawei E220 on Jaunty - storage element?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by daldred, Jun 8, 2009.

1. daldred

daldred

Hi

I have a Huawei E220 dongle, which will connect happily enough (O2 network - the only quirk when setting it up was that it unexpectedly asked for a password to connect the first time, which turned out to be a blank!).

I believe it should also be possible to see some storage capcity on this dongle, which could be extended by adding a microSD. However I can't even see the basic amount of storage on it; nothing new turns up in the file manager when it's plugged in.

Anyone got access to the storage element of the Huawei E220?

daldred, Jun 8, 2009
  2. daldred

redbook

It is my belief that the E220 does not have a storage element only a virtual cd which contains the driver setup and software for windows, if you enable this in linux the modem no longer works as it is seen as a cd-drive.

redbook, Jun 9, 2009
  3. daldred

daldred

Ah, right, so it's one or the other. Any idea how to enable/disable the storage side? (It also has a slot for a card, so could be useful at times as external storage).

daldred, Jun 9, 2009
  4. daldred

Gavarnos

The slot on the side of the E220 is for the SIM card, only models such as the E160 have an extra slot for a Micro SD. I don't believe you can remove the virtual CD drive which holds the Dashboard (drivers and connection app for Windows) because it's part of the modem's firmware. You can however upgrade the E220's firmware to support 7.2Mbps, there's a windows updater found here http://www.maxis.com.my/maxisbb/download/E220SoftwareUpgrade.zip. Don't upgrade the dashboard - it's branded Maxis Malaysia!

Gavarnos, Jun 12, 2009
  5. daldred

lotus49

There are Huawei HSDPA modems that have micro SD card readers built into them, but the E220 is not one of them.

Although I don't own such a modem (I have an E220 and E172) the card reader should work without your having to do anything at all.

lotus49, Jun 13, 2009
  6. daldred

daldred

On closer inspection, whilst identifies as an E220 when plugged into the machine, the wording on the modem itself (in pale grey on white!) says it's an E160 - ther's definitely a slot on the side for a microSD card.

daldred, Jun 14, 2009
Ask a Question