huawei e220 usb modem

Discussion in 'Linux' started by seporro, Jul 27, 2008.

1. seporro

fw1962

fw1962, Aug 15, 2008
  2. seporro

Great Wall

hi i'm new ....i write from italy....i posted a very detailed procedure to install huaweii E220 modem ...you can get at

http://www.gozzinet.net/mybb/installare ... t-171.html

it's in italian but it works with every operator....this is good also for other internet keys, because the vodafone driver supports many modems.

Good work!!

Great Wall, Aug 18, 2008
  3. seporro

wüstenmaus

great wall:
    i translated your instructions and all seem logical, but i did not find the fact mentioned that you must run that piece of software as root everytime.
    did it work for you after the latest liveupdate? my e220 connection stopped. did you try to connect with e160? i was not able to connect with that either.
    it only worked with e220 with the original rescue-cd install.

wüstenmaus, Aug 18, 2008
  4. seporro

Rofa

I get the same message but in English - when I found the Vodafone icon and fixed the permissions I was sure I was there but no. Re booting does not help. Any ideas anyone?

Rofa, Aug 21, 2008
  5. seporro

nff

marcinberlin, please tell me exactly how I can do
    if I cannot get online in the first plase????????????????

nff, Aug 23, 2008
  6. seporro

Rofa

Well one step forward and at least one back. I tried running from the gnome pppp dialer. The autodetect worked and it started dialling using *99# - blue light flashing + message up saying dialling. My mistake was to be impatient - switched off and tried again probably before the dialling had completed. And now the error log comes up -- cannot open dev/ttySO no such file exists. Any help on this one please?

Rofa, Aug 24, 2008
  7. seporro

ncmp

Stumbled across this very useful thread after searching quite a bit.
    I purchased my acer aspire one yesterday, I have to say i'm happy with it, the linux distro is very hiding I have to say, trying to keep the general n00b such as myself from braking anything.

I have a 3 USB Modem which is the huawei e220, got this vodafone card software, ran it using the sudo vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux.

It recognised my modem, loaded the settings up for 3G Networks (Three.co.uk). I clicked connect, and it connected!

BUT :'(

It doesn't work! The internet, I am on a pay as you go modem which is out of credit but it should still allow you to access the three.co.uk site to topup which it doesn't, instead i get a message saying something about invalid DNS received, something about dns anyway, its from the connection manager in the corner and it advised me to create static dns entries or restart the connection??

Anyone more knowledgable than me in this matter?

Thanks very much to everyone who has contributed to this thread, its been a good read and got me that step further to internet on my Aspire1

EDIT:
    The error is something about invalid DNS from APN and its not coming from the actual linux connection manager, its coming from the vodafone application icon on the task tray and the connection manager is just showing the "3G Connection" as OFF and when i click connect in the main manager window it just says failed.

ncmp, Aug 24, 2008
  8. seporro

ncmp

Ok!
    Problem solved, everything is now working completely with my PAYG 3 USB Modem (E220) & my AspireOne.

How did I do it?

1. downloaded vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux-2.0.beta3-ALL-i386-installer from betavine
    2. ran vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux-2.0.beta3-ALL-i386-installer (obviously)
    3. go to my documents, right click, "Open Terminal Here" and type "sudo vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux" without the quotes. The app should load. Make sure your modem is plugged in, it should show up and load up the settings automatically.
    4. Click connect (make sure your laptops wifi is off). Fire up Firefox!
    5. If it works, great! you're done here! If you get a DNS issue/message and are a three.co.uk user, continue..
    6. to get this part I used this thread: http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=30459#p30459 but I modified no files, instead go to the vodafone mobile connect app, tools > profiles > edit profile > Huawei(followed by something else).
    7: Click use static DNS and fill in:
    Primary DNS: 172.31.140.69
    Secondary DNS: 172.30.140.69
    Click Ok!
    8. Disconnect, Connect. Load up firefox.

So yes I run sudo vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux in the terminal everytime I want it to load up, could probably be solved by a simple script which does the same thing but im too much of a n00b to write one, any pro is welcome to write one for us!

Problems you may encounter
    When I click connect nothing happens!!
    A: wait until the flashing light on the modem isn't doing the green flickering thing, make sure its that light or dark blue. After its doing this, then run the application and connect.

Anyway, this is what has worked for me, I'm using the 8gb Linux Aspire One with a 3 USB Modem which is in fact a huawei E220.

Please let me know if this works for anyone!
    Thank you everyone in this thread and also the users at EeeUser.
    Over and Out!
    Yay im going to do some mobile surfing!!

ncmp, Aug 24, 2008
  9. seporro

Equinox

Not tried it yet but great spot ncmp.

If you enable the right-click menu on your desktop (look elsewhere in this forum), you'll find the Vodafone driver in the network menu, so you don't need to use terminal each time. Most applications you install find their way into a relevant menu.

Try connecting modem after the machine has booted, then wait until the file manager comes up (with the windows driver). Also, wait until the cursor is back to normal once Connect Card Driver screen shows - should make things more reliable.

For those who need to know, the E160g modem works as well, although it is recognised as an E870.

Anyone know whether it is possible to use OpenDNS (208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220) in the same way (should be quicker) and if not, why not?

Equinox, Aug 24, 2008
  10. seporro

wüstenmaus

the e160 did not work for me and the e220 only worked for me without acer live update.
    after the update the e220 was not recognized and the vodafone driver just said something about e870 and then quit

wüstenmaus, Aug 25, 2008
  11. seporro

ncmp

@ wustenmaus
    When did you use the acer update, last time I updated was the day before yesterday, if it suddenly stops working after the most recent update I won't bother updating.

ncmp, Aug 25, 2008
  12. seporro

wüstenmaus

i tried to update 10 days ago and did not work and last friday and did not work...btw i use german language settings...

wüstenmaus, Aug 26, 2008
  13. seporro

ncmp

Try updating now ?
    Because I have updated more recent than you and my configuration works perfectly :)

Don't forget, please let me know if anyone has any success with my method!

ncmp, Aug 26, 2008
  14. seporro

Spyd

I installed the "Vodafone mobile connect" software and it detected my E220 perfectly, it even ask me for the PIN code, and after inserting it the light in the modem turns blue... then I hit connect and the program says that after three failed attempts can't connect. It seems to be detected (it shows data in the diagnostics windows) but it doesn't really works in any mode (can't send SMS, can't connect.)

Any help will be appreciated.

Spyd, Aug 26, 2008
  15. seporro

Genjuro

I noticed with mine that when it was dialing three times and failing that it was because i didn't have good enough reception. When i did get into an area with decent reception i got an error about the dns settings not being found (i'm on 3) so in the end i specified the IPs for the DNS and now it works.

I do have one problem with the vodafone software though, it never lets me edit the settings for the connection, i can change them but they don't save, i have to create a new connection instead.

Genjuro, Aug 26, 2008
  16. seporro

ncmp

Yea reception is an issue, make sure the signal bar is at least showing one bar before attempting.

As for the settings yea you have to create a new one because it constantly loads it from the sim card as a default.

I find I cant receieve SMS with mine :S but what the hey, the internet is working for now,.

ncmp, Aug 26, 2008
  17. seporro

skintythe1andonly

I had to do a live update before the device was recognised first. Otherwise it would be treated as a memory stick due to the 50Mb of space used for windows drivers on teh device. I then installed the .run file to get the software. I was having strane issues when starting the vodafone software about permissions so i just started the software in the terminal using sudo. That took care of permissions. I tried changing the permissions of the files it mentioned before but could never get it right...seems to be very specific. I too had it dialling 3 times and then it would say that the configuration was wrong or there was no carrier. I actually found this to be the settings. When creating a connection, you must put in a usermane and password (I use vodafone and vodafone) and then you must change the APN depending on the country you are in.for me in Ireland it is hs.vodafone.ie. For your country consult http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=633981. It is listed on the last line of the wvdial.conf file. I now have it working fine

skintythe1andonly, Aug 26, 2008
  18. seporro

ncmp

I'm suprised at vodafone you had those problems, it's understandable for us 3 users to have problems as the software is for the vodafone version of the modem so I would of thought it would work perfectly.

As for the permissions, I will try and figure it out sooner or later, I think its a simple CHMOD 755. After I've done that I will post how to put the Vodafone icon/software on the acer desktop so you can simply click it instead of terminal and sudo'ing it everytime.

ncmp, Aug 26, 2008
  19. seporro

lotus49

There isn't a Vodafone version of the modem. As the developers themselves say, the software is "agnostic" - it doesn't care which service provider you are with.

I have used this software on two other laptops and it has worked perfectly first time; unfortunately, it doesn't work at all on my One. It recognises my modem but just sits there with the progress bar moving backwards and forwards forever.

The obvious way to do this is to make the software setuid root. Change the owner to root (chown root:root vodafoneblahblah) and then make it setuid (chmod 4755 vodafoneblahblah). This may be a minor security risk but only if someone else already has some way of accessing your One.

lotus49, Aug 29, 2008
  20. seporro

Equinox

As I said in my last post, plug the modem in after the One has finished booting, wait patiently until the file manager window opens (which you can close immediately) then run the Vodafone driver. Before clicking the green connect button on the driver, wait until the cursor has finished swirling to maximise the chances of a connection.

Equinox, Aug 29, 2008
Ask a Question