huawei e220 usb modem

Discussion in 'Linux' started by seporro, Jul 27, 2008.

1. seporro

ncmp

Yes there is a vodafone version of the modem, thats what the software was made for....
    hence "Vodafone ConnectCard driver".
    It is specifically configured to voda's SMS settings; thats why it can't fetch 3's sms's

ncmp, Aug 29, 2008
  2. seporro

Captain Calamity

Huawei E160G Working

E160G/Three.co.uk PAYG working with 8GB linux machine

Insert dongle, when file manger opens click X to disconnect (removing it from file manager) but leave dongle plugged in (much easier than using usb_modeswitch and libusb to switch dongle from storage to modem which I was previously trying)

Follow instructions as per ncmp below (thanks)

Go surfing

CC

Captain Calamity, Aug 31, 2008
  3. seporro

ena_sharples

Re: Huawei E160G Working

Hi
    Thanks for your helpful post. I'm trying to use a Three UK Huawei E 169G with my Aspire 1. At the moment I can't get the vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux to install- (step 2). I downloaded this using my other laptop and then have transferred it on to the Aspire 1 by memory stick. I keep getting 'you must be root' and it does nothing - any ideas please I am completely new to linux?
    Thanks

ena_sharples, Sep 1, 2008
  4. seporro

ncmp

Ok, open up the folder that the driver is in, right click in the window somewhere (in the white space near the actual file), and click Open Terminal Here, now enter (without quotes) "sudo vodafone-connect-driver(and the rest of the name..).rpm" (or whatever the extension is). It will ask you to enter your root pass, enter it, but be aware as you enter the password, it does not even show up any characters so it looks like its not being entered, but it is.

Sorry if thats a bit muddled and confusing, but it should get you going.
    Post if you have some more problems!

ncmp, Sep 1, 2008
  5. seporro

fredrikwe

Help seems at hand as Reg Hardware reports:

Owners of Acer's Aspire One mini laptop will soon get the USB 3G modem support so many of them have been crying out for - and that's without having to replace Linux with Windows XP.

Robert Perenz, Acer Europe's product manager for the AA1, confirmed that the machine has the ability to support HSDPA dongles, but admitted the missing link is a utility to initiate and managed connections to carriers.

However, that will be rectified in the coming weeks, he promised here at IFA, Berlin today.

UNQUOTE

Fully story at: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/08/29 ... _linux_3g/

fredrikwe, Sep 1, 2008
  6. seporro

ncmp

lol that is just ridiculous, after all of this, they're just going to give the support now, I don't need it, mine is fully functional.

ncmp, Sep 2, 2008
  7. seporro

lotus49

The Vodafone E220 is just branded. Otherwise it is exactly the same as the T-Mobile etc E220. Obviously the software would say Vodafone in the name since they wrote it.

However, you are right about the SMS settings but that's nothing to do with the modem, it's just a configuration issue. If you look on the Betavine site the developers explicitly state that it will support other service providers' modems as long as they are modems that Voda sells.

lotus49, Sep 2, 2008
  8. seporro

lotus49

This never happens on my machine. Perhaps I should have mentioned that I have installed Xubuntu on mine, although why that would matter is not clear to me. On the other machines on which I have successfully used the VMC software (which ran Ubuntu), the modem was (somewhat annoyingly) recognised as containing a CD drive, but this doesn't happen on my One.

The modem is obviously recognised by the kernel (I can see that in /var/log/messages) but for some reason the VMC software is not picking it up properly.

I have tried another app called umtsmon. At first it didn't work but for some unknown reason it now does (it may be because I removed the APN from the profile). It's not a pretty as the VMC software but it does provide basically the same functionality.

lotus49, Sep 2, 2008
  9. seporro

Andysan

Does anyone know how to uninstall this please?

Code:
    sudo rpm -e vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux
    error: package vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux is not installed

It is, i can load it. it doesn't show up in Add/Remove Programs either.

Thanks!

Andysan, Sep 4, 2008
  10. seporro

lotus49

At last I have found the problem, it is caused by a driver conflict (in my case at least).

See this post for details http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=868739.

In summary:

$ sudo echo "blacklist airprime" > /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-airprime
    $ sudo reboot
    $ rm -rf ~/.vmc2

Then it worked perfectly - wahey.

lotus49, Sep 5, 2008
  11. seporro

lotus49

Both rpm and apt can only install programs that they were used to install and since the VMC software uses its own installer that won't work.

However, all you need to do is to delete /opt/vmc and that will uninstall it. There may be a couple of things left (I think there is a file at /usr/share/app-install/vmc.desktop) but if you search for files with vmc in the name you will remove all of it.

If you don't know how:

$ sudo find / -name "*vmc*"

Then look through the results and delete any stragglers.

lotus49, Sep 5, 2008
  12. seporro

dippergt750

use "yum remove voda......etc" might work. I'm not going to try it since Im still working on mine, but it's worth a shot

[Edit - this doesn't work as the above post is correct. Oh well, live and learn!]

dippergt750, Sep 7, 2008
  13. seporro

dippergt750

Works great, I have to set the static DNS though. This isnt a problem but every time the vodaphone program is closed and re-opened I have to re-enable the static DNS and re-enter it. Is there a way for the software to remember to use static?

dippergt750, Sep 7, 2008
  14. seporro

wilko

I've had loads of issues getting my Huawei E220 to work with my AA1.

Just solved it by reading the above very helpful posts and upgrading the firmware:

Download and install the VMC vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux-2.0.beta3-ALL-i386-installer.run from Betavine as described above.

On a Windows machine upgrade the firmware on the E220 to version 11.117.09.04.00 available here :

http://www.mobilebroadbandrocks.com/hua ... -available

There is a handy PDF walkthrough of this procedure here :

http://www.betterthan3g.com/clients/g35 ... cedure.pdf

Disclaimer - no responsibility accepted for the firmware upgrade turning your modem into a useless piece of plastic suitable only for use as a door stop ;-)

Having done this my modem is recognised every time. To get it to connect to Vodafone I had to amend the profile to have : Username 'web', Password 'web', and APN host 'Internet'. BTW a useful tip I found while playing with this was that if you can't see the rest of the window you are working on i.e. the OK button etc, hold down the left Alt key when clicking on the window and you can move the window higher up the screen :)

I've also noticed that the modem won't even try to connect unless it can detect a Vodafone signal but doesn't give any feedback i.e. "No Carrier" or some such message :-(

Iain

wilko, Sep 7, 2008
  15. seporro

Fuerst

Hi friends,
    I also got the following message after it appeared that I had succeeded in installing the Beta3.0 vodafone driver:
    ---------------
    Vodafone Mobile Connect Card driver for Linux needs the following files and dirs with some specific permissions in order to work properly: /opt/vmc/etc/ppp/peers should be readable and writtable by group vmc user user should be a member of group vmc'

-------------
    Here I am stuck. can anyone give me an idea/instructions on how to proceed from here? any way to correct this? I am a total Linux-beginner

thanks and cheers from old Vienna
    Christian

Fuerst, Sep 9, 2008
  16. seporro

ncmp

just Alt + F2

sudo "name of linux driver here" (something like vodafone-connect-card-for-linux) without speech marks.

ncmp, Sep 9, 2008
  17. seporro

Fuerst

Hi, ncpm,

no, sorry, it didn't work. it said that a command like that wasn't known.

any more ideas?

cheers
    Christian

Fuerst, Sep 10, 2008
  18. seporro

TLJ

Code:
    sudo vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux

TLJ, Sep 10, 2008
  19. seporro

Fuerst

Hi,
    I tried the sudo command (God is that all complicated compared with windows!!!!)

the programme seems to start in Terminal and the penguin appears and the blue set-up sign only half-way through. so it seems, installation may have been incomplete.

How do I uninstall this fr.... driver and reinstall?

sorry again für asking such stupid questions. unfortunately Acer does not proviede any useful guide on How To

Christian

Fuerst, Sep 10, 2008
  20. seporro

TLJ

see above

TLJ, Sep 10, 2008
Ask a Question