huawei e220 usb modem

Discussion in 'Linux' started by seporro, Jul 27, 2008.

1. seporro

tot31

Got myself an AAO 1GB,8GB SSD (Model AOA A110-AB) today and also bought a Kingston 8GB DataTraveller 101 thumbdrive. Upon arriving at home I installed Mandriva 2008.1 LiveOne in the Kingston thumbdrive and my Huawei E220 works out of the box without any hassle of configuring all those stuffs mentioned here. My advise is, if you want an easy setup for the Huawei E220 modem ditch Linpus and install Mandriva 2008.1. With Mandriva 2008.1 you won't get any problems with NTFS filesystem, card reader problems etc. Even Compiz Fusion works flawlessly. Here's the screenshot of Mandriva 2008.1 with Huawei E220 on my AAO

[​IMG]

tot31, Sep 11, 2008
  2. seporro

thepyawkt

How did it work with USB devices, WiFi, sleep and wake, etc. ?

curious... ;)

thepyawkt, Sep 13, 2008
  3. seporro

tot31

So far all my usb devices works (4 ports usb hub, usb thumbdrives, external usb hdd and usb mouse), the wifi also works well and as for sleep and wake I haven't try it yet as don't use that features, I always shutdown my netbook. The only complain I got is from son that he couldn't get to Habbo Hotel as there's no official support for Shockwave in linux.

Now I'm using kppp as a dialer to make an easy dial up connection for my wife and my kids (created a desktop icon for it).

tot31, Sep 13, 2008
  4. seporro

melhiore

Is your modem working only as 3G access to the network or you can also text other mobiles??

melhiore, Sep 13, 2008
  5. seporro

tot31

So far I'm only using my modem as 3G access and I'm not using the text message features.

Here's the screenshot of kppp in action...
    [​IMG]

tot31, Sep 13, 2008
  6. seporro

Fuerst

Hi,
    does anyone know whether the Vodafone-driver for the e220 also works for e272 ?

I installed the vodafone driver:

vodafone-mobile-connect-card-driver-for-linux-2.0.beta3-ALL-i386-installer.run

and at first nothing happened, though all lights on the modem went on and little light flashing.

then window appeared asking first for PIN, which I added, and then new window appeared asking all kinds of parameters, like username, password etc, which I obtained from my provider with the exception of the asked for DNS.... The hotline-lady simply had no idea about this since she only provides service for Windows and apple

Do I need to provide the DNS parameters?

after I had filled in parameters (without DNS) and pressed okay, the little penguin-window appeared again and blue sign at the bottom of that window was flashing and it said:

"authentification".

unfortunately nothing beyond that happened.

could it be that modem simply didn't connect for technical reasons?

anyone any idea? I think I am now close to getting it working. your advise much appreciated

thanks and cheers
    Christian

Fuerst, Sep 13, 2008
  7. seporro

melhiore

@tot31

Bit off topic - how did you prepared USB stick with Mandriva installation??

melhiore, Sep 13, 2008
  8. seporro

tot31

I just found this great application called UMTS Monitor (http://umtsmon.sourceforge.net/) and installed it in my Mandriva 2008.1. It has the features for Windows that came with the modem. You can even SMS. Runs well in my AAO.

[​IMG]

@melhiore, I used an external CDROM drive which I borrowed from my wife's office. Since I'm using Mandriva One 2008.1/LiveCD, it doesn't support to be installed from a usb stick. Mandriva 2008.1 Free Edition (DVD release) does has support to install from a usb stick but it's not recommended for newbies. Why I choosed the LiveCD because it has all the proprietary drivers support out of the box. This saves me a lot of hassle to configure the system if I choosed to use the Free edition.

tot31, Sep 13, 2008
  9. seporro

yetiman

Total Newbie to linux and looking for a screenshot of total code imput or complete total idiot guide to connect vodafone huawei e220 on aspire one 150 running linux limpus . the problem of conflicting advice on forums is ruining mental state and my enjoyment of purchase! :D :D

yetiman, Sep 17, 2008
  10. seporro

mikeyd1

huawei 160e

Just so people know, the instructions in this thread allow you to connect a huawei 160e and get the same results. I'm on three in Australia and it works perfectly. Highly recommended!

It was as easy as described above, however, follow the instructions word for word. Missing a word here or there did cause me some grief initially. :)

mikeyd1, Oct 5, 2008
  11. seporro

Ozlover

Re: huawei 160e

Any idea if it will work with Telstra's "Pre-Paid Wireless Broadband " USB Modem (see <http://www.telstra.com.au/telstraprepaidplus/broadband/prepaidwireless.html> ?

I want to prepare things at home in The Netherlands, before I go to Australia and buy the Teslstra modem there.

BTW, what do you mean with "I'm on three in Australia"? Three *what*?

And can you please say which specific posts (i.e. date/time and author) you mean with "the instructions in this thread". There are currently some 70 posts in this thread, so I would like to know which one(s) is/are the good ones.

Thanks.

Ozlover, Oct 5, 2008
  12. seporro

mikeyd1

I don't know what brand of modem Tesltra uses, but they have been known not to use huawei in the past which means that there could be problems getting it to work with the Vodafone Mobile Connect client software.

I'm with Three, the telecommunications company. They only have coverage in capital cities, but they are cheap. $15 for 1gb.

The best info for me was on page 3 of the thread where ncmp describes the process he used. Simply download the VMC software, install it, fire it up and everything seems to work fine. I just had problems installing it because I didn't type in the command letter for letter as described by ncmp.

mikeyd1, Oct 5, 2008
  13. seporro

salsapixie

hi,
    i can get to the point (from instructions on here) of the screen coming up with the vodafone logo and the penguin which says "initial set up" but the bar won't move past a certain point and the "device selection" screen comes up and states "no known devices found". it asks for custom device settings: data port device, control port device and speed connection. i don't know this info and if i click ok it won't accept them blank!! if i cancel, the screen with the penguin disappears!!!!
    p.s. dunno if this is relevant but the device still shows as a cd???
    i think i am closer to getting this thing working but is there something else i need to do. when i check some of the links on here there is a long list of drivers and i don't know what they're for.
    any help in plain english please!! i'm tech savvy enough to get this far but has taken me 3 hours. some easy answers please!!!!! :(

salsapixie, Jul 4, 2009
  14. seporro

Equinox

Start up Aspire One. Wait until the PC has finished booting. Plug in modem. Wait until the file window opens. If it doesn't open within a couple of minutes, unplug the modem and re-try.

Close this window. Start the Vodafone connect driver. Wait until the cursor has finished swirling (takes maybe 30-60 seconds). Only then should you click connect.

If the modem still isn't recognised, then check out the settings. This pre-supposes that the Linux kernel driver has already been installed and that the Aspire One has been fully updated.

Let us know how it goes.

Eq.

Equinox, Jul 4, 2009
  15. seporro

salsapixie

i've tried opening the drivers on "terminal" and by just clicking on them in file manager. the best i get is a load of text and ........................, or i get as far as the "device selection" screen but the device isn't there and i have no clue what info to enter or what data port device, control port device etc mean. the webbook is brand new, and have checked and got updates, rebooted numerous times but no joy. i am about to throw the webbook from a great height if it doesn't work. there also is no easy way to install things. have tried installing a new OS but again, this seems too complicated and i've had zero success so far. don't even understand the archiver application, and how to install software from there. this is a ridiculous situation for a machine that should be so simple!!!
    please help. i've read forums all day and tried different things but NOTHING works!

salsapixie, Jul 4, 2009
  16. seporro

Equinox

You should have read elsewhere in this forum how to get the right-click menu on the desktop. If you check out the network menu, you should see an icon which as I recall says mobile phone partner or similar (green I think). Give that a try as if it works you won't need the Vodafone driver.

If you installed it properly, the Vodafone driver should also be in that Network right-click menu.

Good luck.

Eq.

Equinox, Jul 4, 2009
  17. seporro

salsapixie

i have looked everywhere and followed instructions but i cannot find the "behaviours" tab anywhere. it doesn't seem to be anywhere so i can't enable right click. i am about to take a hammer to my webbook

salsapixie, Jul 4, 2009
  18. seporro

Equinox

Its hard to help without knowing more of your set-up and what you have been doing. Presumably you have Linux Aspire One. Have you got right-click menu? If not, what page are you looking at?

Eq.

Equinox, Jul 4, 2009
  19. seporro

salsapixie

yes i set up right click, but no success with anything else.
    setup? well its only been out of the box a few days.......
    feel free to ask more but don't use questions that are too technical as i am a bit clueless....

salsapixie, Jul 4, 2009
  20. seporro

Equinox

If you right click, does the word Network appear in the list? If you go into that, what else is listed?

What have you done in regards to the Vodafone Connect Card Driver? Where did you get the instructions? I'm puzzled because what's in this thread should work.

Eq.

Equinox, Jul 4, 2009
Ask a Question