I and My Aspire One are in BIG TROUBLE!! :(

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by jackdashack, Mar 8, 2012.

1. jackdashack

jackdashack

I think I have done it this time, rendered my Aspire useless. Here's what I was trying to do. SIMPLE FILE SHARING was not showing under FOLDER OPTIONS. So Googleing the problem seemed to point to needing to go into SAFE MODE and give permissions, which I don't understand as I just did a FULL RECOVERY and I was shown to be the Administrator.

Nevertheless, I went to SAFE MODE and did some tweaking on the permissions, being a new area I'd not seen I don't think I changed anything critical. When I booted back up it reported PAGING FILE TOO SMALL, the next WINDOW told me where to change that. BUT ... it stops there and does not proceed. In your mind right now is SAFE MODE right? Been there done that. NO mode seems to let me by it to get into Windows. Even at the COMMAND PROMPT I tried typing in rstrui.exe. Won't do it. Another command (SAFEBOOT_OPTION=Minimal(Alternate Shell)) I guess the parenthesis are supposed to be there. I think I tried it without one set. I noticed if I tried the command prompt from safe mode it comes up

C:\Documents and Settings\joe blow (joe substituted for my name) So I rebooted and tried logging on as Administrator and it comes up C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator Still I could not changed directories. I was trying to get to C:\Windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe I still could not change the directories.

EXASPERATED I decided I might have to do a full recovery again, just did it 2 days ago. Of course the Aspire has no disk but somewhere on a page I Googled it said TURN POWER ON and hold the ALT and F10 and it will go to the Acer Recovery File. It did not. I'm not sure if you are supposed to hold the ALT down the whole time you hit F10 or hold F10. I'm not sure I tried every nuance.

It appears I am hopelessly locked out of ever getting this back. Is there any door I have not tried that you are aware of. Of course you know this guy is gonna be very appreciative if anyone knows. Thanks in advance. jack :roll:

jackdashack, Mar 8, 2012
  2. jackdashack

jackdashack

JACK AGAIN! I should have added the next window reports it would not allow

explorer.exe to initialize

That might be important. ":-|

jackdashack, Mar 8, 2012
  3. jackdashack

jackdashack

Jack again! Just letting you kind viewers know I've gone the labor some route. I'm going to do a full recover, again!!!, and this time the process I mentioned above works. That is ....

IF YOU ARE HOPELESSLY LOCKED out of your Aspire.

POWER ON
    IMMEDIATELY BEGIN PRESSING ALT and F10 TOGETHER ( this may take once or twice to get the feel, it took me 3X )
    It will open to the ACER RECOVERY PROGRAM

I figured my question was a hard one, or a time consuming one, or one hard to explain here. Often solutions are so complex it's easy for the resolver to know what he's meaning. Sometimes much harder for the reader and learner. SO ... I go this tried and true and labor some way, and I will not make the same mistake. Thanks! jack

jackdashack, Mar 8, 2012
Ask a Question