I hate this computer but still need help!

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Uncle Willy, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Uncle Willy

Uncle Willy

I hate this computer so much. It's slow (SSD), Linux, VLC from Acers official site won't show video; just sound. Skype crashes from time to time, I can't access my external harddrive (HFS+) filled with movies because this crappy computer can't read Apples format. The noisy fan. The poor battery life etc. etc. I still need your help because this is the only computer I have for the moment. My new MacBook Pro will arrive in 14 days. I need help with two things:

1. VLC. I want to be able to watch movies. Problem solved.
    2. HFS+. I want to be able to access my external harddrive.

Uncle Willy, Jun 14, 2009
  2. Uncle Willy

kghunt

Re: I hate this computer but still needs help!

Reload the thing with another os. I never used the os that it shipped with. Install kuki linux or xp with zflashpoint accelerator. I love my AA1 runs as fast as it needs to to watch movies surf the net ect. Battery life is poor and ssd slow but you get what you pay for (£175). I have just bought a new ssd that is much faster just waiting for it to arrive. I have upgraded the ram to 1.5gb also just need to get a new battery. A 6 cell will do seen em on ebay for £30 my mate has one and gets 5 hours at least out of it.

You could try

Ubuntu (with sickboy kernel) some tweaks to apply (see wiki)
    Fedora 11 - thats what im using at the mo alot of tweaks to apply though
    Kuki (remastered ubuntu with all the fixes applied and sickboys kernel integrated)
    Or XP with services turned off and flashpoint ssd accelerator.

kghunt, Jun 14, 2009
  3. Uncle Willy

Uncle Willy

No can do. "... this is the only computer I have for the moment." I will throw this crappy "computer" in the trash in 14 days when my MacBook Pro arrives. For now I need help with;

1. VLC. Problem solved.
    2. HFS+. I want to be able to access my external harddrive.

Uncle Willy, Jun 14, 2009
  4. Uncle Willy

RockDoctor

If you can't reload your AA1 with another OS, then spend $10 on a USB stick and put a bootable version of your favorite OS on it. Or don't use your favorite, but rather one that meets your needs.

BTW, if you're going to throw it in the trash when your MacBook Pro arrives, if you're in the US, I'll take it off your hands and give you and give you $20 (plus shipping costs) to boot. :D

RockDoctor, Jun 14, 2009
Ask a Question