I have your Second Mini-PCIe FIX!!! for wifi

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by radioman193, Jul 10, 2009.

1. radioman193

radioman193

WOW I use Media player Cause of the Better sound with the EQ and other DSP things .
    I dont get up to 32% :shock:

Watching James Bond 007 - 20 - Tomorrow Never Dies (1997).avi "Divx 5"
    Full screen on the second display 17'' Dell @1280x1024
    The cpu gets to 20% MAX without The BCM70012.

radioman193, Aug 9, 2009
  2. radioman193

jerryt

OK, operator error on my part. Working fine in XP and Windows 7. The trick is the file type you try to play, when I play Hauppauge HDPVR H.264 files they play smooth at 30% CPU. When the Broadcom HD Decoder is removed the same file plays choppy and the CPU is maxed out.

jerryt, Aug 9, 2009
  3. radioman193

radioman193

I think ill just stay with GOOD quality Xvid or Divx movies
    for a Netbook
    a Full HD movie is 10 to 13 gig
    A GOD Xvid or Divx is 675 to 1.7 gig
    So inplace of 1 HD movie @14 gig i can have about 12 nor 13 movies onboard.
    PLUS less power needed to watch them cause im not usen a decoder to watch them AND
    A 1080i or 1080p Will NOT play at A FULL frame rate on a laptop or even a good pc not to say Nothing about a netbook.

It will not be "TRUE HD"

Ability of the eye to see 1080p
    A person's ability to distinguish small details is described by visual acuity. When individual pixels are barely resolvable, increased resolution brings little benefit for the viewer unless the viewing distance can be shortened or the display enlarged. Thus for 1080p television viewing, there is a minimum size to distance ratio to see a significant benefit. The ability of the eye to resolve 1080p content also depends on the amount of contrast in the picture. For optimum viewing, it is recommended to sit at a distance of approximately three times the diagonal measurement of the screen.

Computer monitors
    Some modern widescreen liquid crystal display (LCD) monitors can natively display 1080p content. Widescreen WUXGA monitors for example support 1920×1200 resolution, which can display a pixel for pixel reproduction of the 1080p (1920×1080) format. The resolution is rare but increasing in popularity amongst laptops in 2009; some laptops have a 15", 17" or even a 18.4" display that run a resolution of 1920×1200 or 1920x1080. Additionally, many 23, 24 and 27-inch (690 mm) widescreen LCD monitors use 1920×1200 as their native resolution, 30 inch displays can display beyond 1080p at up to 2560x1600 or 1600p. Other 1080p-compatible LCDs, on the other hand, have lower than 1920×1080 native resolution and cannot display 1080p pixel for pixel. The output is resized; and although it may not be noticeable to the viewer, what is seen is a slightly degraded version of the original image.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080p

And thats just for 1080p

so in short :
    HD on a netbook is a wast of Space and Power and time.
    EVEN on a good pc.

radioman193, Aug 9, 2009
  4. radioman193

jerryt

@ Radioman193
    I agree that the Broadcom card's capabilities are overkill on a netbook and your contentment with Xvid and Divx is a wise decision.

But there is a method to my madness,

I have a home server with lots of H.264 files, and also my netbook has an ATSC tuner. The Broadcom Video Decoder would really complete ATSC HiDef playback.

So Live TV broadcasted in HiDef is the real goal of this decoder card for me on my netbook.

jerryt, Aug 9, 2009
  5. radioman193

ashram

well, a few friends of mine have 1080p sets... a low bitrate h.264 at 1080 p can still look better than a 480-720p high bitrate file.

i now have an easy way to show off 1080p vids on thier sets without having to lug a pc or blu-ray player....

portable hd playback is a good reason for me!

plus, sometimes poorly encoded divx/xvid files just don't cut it for me and i don't feel like searching for better encoded files.... or re-encoding my own hd media.

ashram, Aug 10, 2009
  6. radioman193

radioman193

Cool i watch Sat tv
    I use the CNX Mini and a Captiveworks 800 PVR's
    "FTA" recivers All DishNetwork For free and BEV.
    im looking for a USB DVB reciver that i can "Unlock" to.

radioman193, Aug 10, 2009
  7. radioman193

radioman193

lol i dont deal with "poorly encoded divx/xvid files"
    Im not talking of downloading them from a P2P or Bittorrent.
    I Encode them Myself.

and for
    "i now have an easy way to show off 1080p vids on thier sets without having to lug a pc or blu-ray player"
    what you have S-video or RGB or even HDMI out ???

lol
    I got one of these for the d250 for $19.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-Laptop-VGA-to-AV ... 286.c0.m14

the VGA to Tv Converter Will get close @ 1600x1024

cause the Netbook LCD pannel is NOT going to Display the video PROPERLY Not even on the 751h.
    Remember that 1080p is (1920×1080)

8. radioman193

ashram

straight vga...
    i have yet to try it out (busy time of the year for me) but as long as this thing can spit out 720p or 1080p via vga, then i'm happy... and yes, my tv (and my buddies) supports 1080p via vga... not all tv's do. i don't plan to do all my high def watching on my netbook's screen. except for my upcoming vacation.... a few blu-rays i plan to pick up while in japan at the end of the year, and with a LONG plane ride, i'l have time to watch. most pc hd players will downsaple the resolution without any issue. the 1080p mkv's from divx look great on a 46" screen, and they still do on the d250.

and personally... i just don't have the time (or care at the moment) to re-compress everything i want. i do have a ton of hd dvd's and blu-rays, and have ripped a few before just to try it out, but besides that, i'm fine with the occasional 720p or 1080i tv show rip when either a: power goes out and i can't watch it or b: there's a severe storm (or hurricane) that interferes with my sat connection and i end up with crap...

lastly.... converting to composite/svhs is out of the question.... i've done that many times throughout the years, and i always find it horrible for my eyes at any resolution.

ashram, Aug 10, 2009
  9. radioman193

radioman193

LOL
    composite Does SUCK Badly Alot of Rf And Video Noise .

But S-Video is Good but you need good cables.
    its just 1 step under component video.

Let me clarify this SVHS and S-video The two are really quite unrelated.
    S-VHS (Super VHS) is an improved version of the VHS standard for consumer video cassette recorders. It was introduced by JVC in Japan in April 1987

In 1987, JVC's release of S-VHS introduced the S-Video cable standard. With S-Video cables, the S-VHS video cassette systems play with their full potential, completing the improved definition and resolution into a compatible TV. Due to low market penetration of television sets and video devices equipped with S-Video ports, the format failed to become a mainstream image standard and remained in the niche high-end home theater market.

In the late 1990s, big-screen television sets began shipping with S-Video option in input ports, thus increasing the number of supportable electronic devices such as DVD players, satellite receivers, and video game consoles. The format gained some popularity as a better alternative to composite video inputs. S-Video was also adopted in the graphics card market in the early 2000s as a video-output solution, from computers to TVs.

10. radioman193

ashram

svhs (yes, too lazy to type s-video 99% of the time, i do know the difference) showed up before the early 2000's on video cards... i have a few at my desk now from the 1996-97 timeframe that has svhs on the them, heck, i have one from 93 here (a matrox card) that had svhs... including some of the older ati all-in-wonder cards and some rendition verite cards (windows 95 3d hardware acceleration, those were the days!). Blame marketing on the whole svhs/svideo port naming... i have 6 svid capable sets at home, 2 actually have svideo written on the port, the rest say svhs.

i would not consider svideo as an output option for anything other than movies (youtube looks good on svhs). when connecting to a tv, it's either component, vga, dvi or hdmi only for me... Luckily, i have 2 tv's that have all 4 inputs and 2 that has at least 2 of those....

also, in 99, the beginning of the end for vhs, i actually spent a lot and grabbed an svhs player, and it still plays great today! the dvd i had from that timeframe is in a landfill somewhere :(

either way, if possible, the d250, and other netbooks, can be a good portable hd player, regardless of onscreen or secondary monitor use.

ashram, Aug 10, 2009
  11. radioman193

ashram

Partial blu-ray success!!!

used anydvd hd to unprotect the disc and then played the video file in total media theater 2 hp version by dragging the mts2 file into it.

it played video fine, but struggled on some audio, BUT i have not installed the correct audio drivers.

cpu usage was 60-90%.

but video was smooth!

so far only tried shoot em up

ashram, Aug 13, 2009
  12. radioman193

radioman193

OUTCH!!!!!!!
    60-90% :shock: :eek:

radioman193, Aug 14, 2009
  13. radioman193

ashram

i have a feeling it's just that total media theater isn't decoding the audio via the bcm70012... the movie i tried has high bitrate scenes with full blown audio and very little audio... the softer scenes played fine (60% cpu) whereas the louder scenes (great one at the beginning blazing Nirvana!) has smooth video, but the audio struggles.

since acer announced in june that they will be using the bcm70012, and others are as well (as well as the bcm70015, an embedded version of the bcm70012, or at least sounded like it) we will start to get better drivers and apps. Adobe announced flash support for the 1st half of 2010.

i still haven't got dell's mediadirect to work since it's not happy with my video driver.... i'm hoping that will be the key as the older studio hybrids had similar issues until dell released newer drivers for the broadcom and now most play blu ray fine now.

ashram, Aug 14, 2009
  14. radioman193

gadget

Hi

I just picked up the broadcom HD card for my D250. The HP drivers installed ok (win xp home) and shows up in device manager as Broadcom 70010/70012 decoder but TMT (from the HP site) refuses to install, giving me the message that the broadcom chipset was not found, even though it is properly installed!!

The D250 has the 1.07 bios update, I am at a loss as to why this is as ashram and jerryt managed to install these? Could you guys help?

Thanks!

gadget, Sep 3, 2009
  15. radioman193

ashram

that is very strange, but i've never installed it in xp... only in win 7.
    did you get a specific error message?

ashram, Sep 3, 2009
  16. radioman193

jerryt

Reboot between installs?

jerryt, Sep 3, 2009
  17. radioman193

gadget

Thanks for the reply guys

ashram - I get a message after the legal screen that says the broadcom chipset not found and to install it, after which the program installation terminates. I wonder if it is the card - got it from one of the few ebay vendors selling these - but the drivers installed fine and the device showed up in device manager (so I assume that it is not faulty or a fake). TMT also refused to install under Win 7 ( I tried just now).

jerryt - yes I did that too + cold reboot , no luck either

Which version of TMT did you use? the latest one on the HP site is version 2.1.19.128 A? Do you know of any other software which I can use to test the card?

gadget, Sep 3, 2009
  18. radioman193

ashram

ashram, Sep 3, 2009
  19. radioman193

gadget

Yes - used the 2.33 driver from the hp site. Without the drivers (or even wrong drivers - eg the ones from dell which are older 2.10) the chipset not found message comes up immediately, but with the hp driver it appears to check (there is a couple of second delay) before failing the install.

I assume there are no specific hardware changes that need to be made as part of the install? the pin 20 mod appears to be only applicable to wireless/3G cards. Also would you mind confirming what exact versions of the driver/software you are using?

I'll try installing in another laptop if I can find one.

Thanks!

gadget, Sep 3, 2009
  20. radioman193

ashram

i'm using both driver and software from the hp link i posted.

ashram, Sep 4, 2009
Ask a Question