I just upgraded my eM250HD to 750GB

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Man of Adventure, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Man of Adventure

Man of Adventure

I just replaced the 2.5in 160GB SATA HD in my eM250-1863 with a 750GB Seagate Momentus which AFAIK (as of February 2011) is the largest capacity 2.5in on the market in the 9.5mm form factor.

Apart from its standard 9.5mm height, I chose this particular drive because it spins at 7200rpm and has a 16MB cache. As for other 2.5in 750GB HDs, the Western Digital Scorpio Black has similar specs to the one I bought, whereas the Hitachi Travelstar and Western Digital Scorpio Blue both spin at 5400rpms with 8MB caches.

I've read elsewhere that changing the stock primary partition size causes the factory restore to fail. Since I wanted to maintain the ability to do a factory restore, I used Norton Ghost 15 to back up both partitions from the stock drive to an external device, then recovered the backups to the new 750GB ensuring that I did NOT resize the two partitions when they were written to the new drive.

When you're done with the recovery, you have two primary partitions and over 500GB of unallocated space. I used Partition Wizard Home Edition (available free on CNET) to make two more primary partitions on the drive.

YMMV
    MoA

Man of Adventure, Feb 4, 2011
Ask a Question