I MAY HAVE FOUND A DEFECT!!!!

Discussion in 'Laptop Hardware' started by Scissors, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Scissors

Scissors

EDIT:
    I have found and fixed a defect in design that may lead to damage if something happens.

On the bottom of top panel there is a metal plate covered in vinyl to prevent shorts on the board.
    The vinyl does not completely cover the plate. If the LCD wires are moved slightly the plate will make contact with the leads of the DC jack. MY One started to fry when this happened, The leads are now blackened.

To cure this I have cut out an assortment of electrical tape pieces to cover the leads. I have also covered the ends of the panel. Now my One works fine.
    Also I taped down the LCD wires because I don't trust the old stuff.

Original POST:
    Okay, my one (A0A150) was not charging. later when I plugged it in instead of being welcomed with that inviting glow of the charging LED I was ambushed by smoke.

I tore it apart to see if there was a short.
    It appears that the vinyl does not cover all the metal. The metal was making contact with the DC jacks leads.
    I am assuming that this is not a grounding feature because they were burnt, more on that later.

To cure it, I placed some vinyl(Electrical tape) over the leads. It now shows the charging LED now illuminates and it boots.
    Although that happens, I think I have fried some ICs. Or maybe damaged my HDD somehow. (I just got a new one too >:[)

Anyway, there might be two subjects in this thread, what I can do about it and if this is a defect in the first place.

So give some input please.

Scissors, Mar 11, 2009
  2. Scissors

jerryt

Can you post a picture?

jerryt, Mar 11, 2009
  3. Scissors

Scissors

Well unfortunately I don't have a camera. But I will borrow one a take picture later.
    My fix worked and I am running it fine. It's nice not to have that smoke comin' out.

Scissors, Mar 12, 2009
Ask a Question