I think we have a SD slot driver for you.

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by UnaClocker, Nov 13, 2008.

1. UnaClocker

fgodfrey

Hrm. I suspect, though I can't prove it, that the problem is the slot is powered off when the machine boots and hence the driver never gets loaded. I'm not quite sure how the heck I'd fix that. You could probably manually load the driver after inserting the card and have it work, but that's a pretty obnoxious "solution"... Then, you'd probably miss the other slot....

fgodfrey, Nov 19, 2008
  2. UnaClocker

fgodfrey

Beta 2 on SourceForge

Just an FYI that I posted Beta 2 of the driver on SourceForge. The only issue this fixes is that 2GB and 4GB SD (not SDHC) cards should work now.
    The following are remaining major features before 1.0: High speed mode, 4-bit bus, SDHC, and fixing a locking issue that affects machines with multiple SD slots (ie, the Aspire One).

fgodfrey, Nov 19, 2008
  3. UnaClocker

JeanLuc7

I tried the Beta2 - same behaviour as beta1 with the right (multi) slot. SD cards accepted and mounted if one was inserted during the boot process. If I put it in the left (expansion - only SD) slot before booting, a kernel panic happens immediately after my desktop appears (the white expansion icon does not appear).

I also tried the other way: inserting the card after login then load the kext manually. Nothing happens... I checked if the kext was loaded - ok. I also checked the PCI devices - yes, they are enumerated. Seems there must be something different between boot process and manually loading. Are there other kexts to be loaded after IOSDHCBlockDevice.kext? Because for me this method would be an alternative - inserting the card then starting a script manually which leads to SD access.

How can I help you getting more information about this issue? Do you need boot logs?

Either way - great work!

Frank

JeanLuc7, Nov 21, 2008
  4. UnaClocker

ahovis

Some observations from beta2. Small (<1 gig) cards see to work fine in the left slot. Cards show up with no problems and read and write fine. A 1 gig card mounts and seems to work but I get strange jumping of the mouse (both usb and trackpad). All clears up when card is removed. I can not get anything out of the right multi slot but have not tried booting with a card in it yet. As expected, large cards cause a white screen.

ahovis, Nov 21, 2008
  5. UnaClocker

fgodfrey

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably have to turn on a bunch of the debugging and then ask you guys for logs. The "mouse jumps" part I understand - the driver spin-waits on the card. While that's going on, the OS is basically dead in the water. I can fix that issue, but it'll take a bit - past the 1.0 release. I need to write a threaded driver that takes interrupts. Since I don't actually know much about OSX internals, I don't know how to do that (yet). I could easily do it in Linux but....

The driver doesn't support SDHC cards at all so if your "large" card is SDHC, that is completly explainable.

I don't understand the kernel panic at all. I'll have to think about that and see if I can add more logging. OSX should take care of the extension load order and really, by the time you log in, nothing much should be going on. I kinda wonder if I have a bug in the card write code that is getting triggered when Spotlight starts doing its thing on login.

Please feel free to open Tracker issues or add to already open ones for these kinds of problems on SourceForge. That way, I'll get email even if I forget to check the forum.

If anyone is in Minneapolis with an OSX Aspire One, I could probably clear this up in an hour or so :)

fgodfrey, Nov 21, 2008
  6. UnaClocker

2manydjs

fgodfrey and others: thanks for your great work. Especially since you don't even have an AAO and are willing to bug fix our problems as well! A big thumbs up! :D

2manydjs, Nov 28, 2008
  7. UnaClocker

MathiasVH

Any news on that SDHC-fixing? :)

MathiasVH, Dec 11, 2008
  8. UnaClocker

UnaClocker

Just to keep everyone up to date.. The driver now has SDHC support, and reads/writes very near the full speed of the drive. Check out the original thread on the Mini9 forums..

UnaClocker, Dec 24, 2008
  9. UnaClocker

Karbooo

is there a way to get the right card reader to work?? my camera's memory is xD type so i can only use the right card reader :S :cry:

Karbooo, Dec 24, 2008
  10. UnaClocker

UnaClocker

The driver is only for SD cards.

UnaClocker, Dec 24, 2008
  11. UnaClocker

fgodfrey

Right now, the driver only supports SD and SDHC. (http://osxsdhci.sourceforge.net)

I don't have an Aspire One to test on, but I've heard that if you have a card in the right slot when the machine boots things will work. I'd like to fix this problem, but I suspect that until someone I know gets one of these machines (unlikely) or someone who knows how to code and already has one comes along, this won't get fixed.

If someone is interested in coding the fix to this, please don't hesitate to contact me or post on SourceForge!

fgodfrey, Dec 25, 2008
  12. UnaClocker

smacman

Right and left slot working here as long as the card is in during bootup..

smacman, Dec 25, 2008
  13. UnaClocker

id7222-Mac

Jacksonville FL (AKA: The armpit of the Universe)
    Thank you so much for your hard work. I downloaded the beta today and it woks with both SD (1 &2 GB) and SDHC (4GB class 2 and class 6) cards on my AA1-150-1405. Both cards slots work if you boot with a card in both slots. However it you cold bot with no cards, only the left "Storage Expansion" slot is hot swappable.

I wish I could help.. but I'm not a coder. if you need help in the form of boot logs I'll be glad to dump mine to you.

id7222-Mac, Dec 25, 2008
  14. UnaClocker

stonerolling

My 8GB SDHC Class 6 card hangs the system during boot. The only way make the system boot is "-v", after that the system sometimes do not recognize the card and sometimes recognize it and prompts for initialization. If I choose to erase the card then the Disk Utility stops to respond during the partition table making (no matter the file system that I choose). The driver that I have installed is the Beta 4.

stonerolling, Dec 26, 2008
  15. UnaClocker

J.A

Have you had problems with that SDHC card before?
    I am using a Transcend 8GB SDHC Class 6 card and have not had any issues with it. When I first installed the driver I used Disc Utility to format and change the file system on the SDHC card and it is working fine. I am using the newest beta from the DellMini forum thread ( http://www.mydellmini.com/forum/sd-card ... 60s20.html ). It was located on one of the later pages, maybe page 16 of the thread. The forum seems to be down right now, but I would check that thread for the file.

Edit:
    The working file is located on Page 16, 1st post. Called sdhc-v3.zip.

J.A, Dec 26, 2008
  16. UnaClocker

UnaClocker

UnaClocker, Dec 26, 2008
  17. UnaClocker

pentiumpc

have the same problem as above.
    Is the source is updated?

pentiumpc, Dec 27, 2008
  18. UnaClocker

UnaClocker

It's sounding like the version at SourceForge has a bug, you might need to come back to the thread at the DellMini forums and get that version of the driver.

UnaClocker, Dec 27, 2008
  19. UnaClocker

stonerolling

Finally it worked with the Beta 3 driver from https://sourceforge.net/projects/osxsdhci/
    The speed is very slow.

stonerolling, Dec 28, 2008
Ask a Question