I want an iTunes-y music player - options?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Payndz, Aug 15, 2008.

1. Payndz

2manydjs

2manydjs, Aug 27, 2008
  2. Payndz

Elllipsis

The linux community here has to learn a thing or two anyway here is how it is done ;)

Songbird is not the ideal player for the ONE but it is decent even in it's Beta form

To install

-Click this: http://rpm.rutgers.edu/fedora/songbird- ... 9.i386.rpm
    -Click open when done
    -Then go through the normal installation process (ignore the unable to verify message)
    Note: you will not need all the plugins they check check as recommended. I only needed shoutcast so I only added that.

-Then when installed it should be under multi-media in the right click pop up system menu (if you do not have this up and running this is how to do it: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=28 )

This is how it looks when up and running:

If you need additional help PM me

Elllipsis, Aug 28, 2008
  3. Payndz

Phil_Urich

I'm a big Amarok fan, there's really nothing that iTunes does that Amarok doesn't do (or doesn't do something else instead; obviously it isn't allowed into the iTMS, but there are other options and it has some of those ones!).

In fact, while I'm typing this, I have "sudo yum install amarok" going on in the background :) I really do adore Amarok.

Disclaimer: I'm a KDE guy at heart, have been for years, and I have yet to actually fiddle with Amarok on the AA1's desktop environment.

Phil_Urich, Aug 29, 2008
  4. Payndz

XE1UFO

Another one you might try is GTKPOD. It is the only one that I could get to faithfully import all my files from my Ipod to my desktop Ubuntu box. (I hope to be receiving my Acer Aspire One today.) The trick is to always import your music list from the Ipod before you add new music.

http://www.gtkpod.org/about.html

Dr. Steve, central old Mexico

XE1UFO, Sep 12, 2008
  5. Payndz

michaelo88

I would go with amarok as well, I use it in ubuntu (even though the KDE themes distract from my tone :p).
    One of the first things I did with my AA1 was install amarok.
    HOWEVER:
    After installing and transferring some tunes from my desktop I found it won't play mp3 or aac - only ogg. Does anyone else have this problem, or know a solution? I tried using the package manager to find codecs but they way it searches seems to be to look which descriptions contain individual letters. I only have a handful of albums that are in .ogg and don't really want to spend time converting the rest.

michaelo88, Sep 14, 2008
  6. Payndz

retsaw

To get amarok to play mp3s, I think what you have to install is the xine-lib-extras-nonfree package from the livna repository.

retsaw, Sep 14, 2008
  7. Payndz

michaelo88

"Error: Missing Dependency: xine-lib(plugin-abi) = 1.24 is needed by package xine-lib-extras-nonfree"

Any ideas to get over this? Searching in the package manager for xine-lib(plugin-abi) yields no results; searching for "xine-lib abi" gives scores.

michaelo88, Sep 14, 2008
  8. Payndz

retsaw

No idea, there is an "Installing Amarok" thread, but no mention of dependency problems by any of the posters in it. I recall have problems myself, caused by packages I'd updated, which I resolved, but I don't think I got that error and I haven't a package of that name installed. If it helps at all, the Xine packages I have installed are:
    Code:
    xine-lib.i386                            1.1.12-2.fc8
    xine-lib-extras.i386                     1.1.12-2.fc8
    xine-lib-extras-nonfree.i386             1.1.12-1.lvn8

retsaw, Sep 14, 2008
  9. Payndz

blackhawk

You must manual install xine-lib version 1.1.15 first to resolve this problem:

Code:
    rpm -Uvh xine-lib-1.1.15-1.fc8.i386.rpm

blackhawk, Sep 15, 2008
  10. Payndz

michaelo88

Hi Blackhawk, I don't suppose you have a link to get the rpm of v1.1.15 on i386? The only rpm of that version I could find was for the x86_34.

michaelo88, Sep 15, 2008
  11. Payndz

blackhawk

blackhawk, Sep 16, 2008
Ask a Question