I want Solitaire and Minesweeper! How to do it?

Discussion in 'Acer Aspire One' started by steppiemum, Aug 18, 2008.

1. steppiemum

steppiemum

How do I download Solitaire games and other basics like mine sweeper that come automatically with windows programs. I am assuming there is an easy way to do this, but it is beyond me. Also, I am a linux newbie and need really simple directions. If I could put a shortcut on the desktop, that would be awesome too. Thanks! Chris

steppiemum, Aug 18, 2008
  2. steppiemum

Grim Squeaker

Adding software through add/remove software
    Did you activate the "advanced" menu yet ? If not - do so.
    Instructions can be found in the topic Linux Linpus - Acer Aspire One - Advance mode hack.

If you right click on the desktop, you will see an option to "add/remove software" under the system menu. Clicking that will start a program that will allow you to install packages from the fedora repository - including about 224 game related ones :)

The package "gnome-games" will install several games, including minesweeper,blackjack, four in a row and so on. Officially it includes aislerot solitaire, but that seems to not install.
    Fortunately the package "PySolFC" is a good choice for solitaire - it includes the "normal" one you play in windows (klondike) as well as a few 100 others.

If you are addicted to windows games install the package "wine". That will allow you to play quite a few (older/simple) windows games on you aspire one - and comes complete with windows minesweeper ;)

Console install with yum
    Alternatively you can install programs from the console. A terminal window can be opened through the filemanager, or by pressing alt+f2 and typing "terminal" (Without the quotes) in the run box.

Then, to for instance install PySolFC, type sudo yum install PySolFC
    To break this command down for you:
    - sudo tells the system to do this as root (administrator on windows machines)
    - yum is the nifty program that will download and install stuff for you
    - install is what you want yum to do
    - PySolFC is the name of the program you want.

Grim Squeaker, Aug 19, 2008
  3. steppiemum

steppiemum

Dear Grim Squeaker, Thanks for all the advice, except none of these work for me.

When I typed in "sudo yum install PySolFC", I got this response:
    "audit_log_user_command(): Connection refused
    Could not retrieve mirrorlist Http:mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=fedora-8&arch=i386 error was . . .

Then it says "Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora."

I get the same error message when I try to add the software. A blue box comes up and says: Unable to retrieve software information. This could be caused by not having a network connection available." Under details it says. "Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: fedora. Please verify its path and try again." So then I clicked on "Repository Manager" and see few Fedora 8 items, but don't know what to do with them.

Can you help again please? I feel I'm so close I can taste it!
    Thanks,
    Chris

steppiemum, Aug 19, 2008
  4. steppiemum

Grim Squeaker

Hmm - it seems the programs are unable to connect to the repository.

Does your Aspire One have a working internet connection ?

If so, could you try again ? The repositories were down for a while, so maybe you were just unlucky enough to try at the wrong time.

Grim Squeaker, Aug 20, 2008
  5. steppiemum

steppiemum

Thanks Grim Squeaker

Wow, that was so easy, once I was connected to the internet (duh). Good Grief! Thanks so much for that easy fix. Now, I believe I downloaded Gnome games and PySolFC. But, when I right click on the desktop and choose Games, there is no solitaire (although there is minesweeper). Could solitaire be anywhere else in my system? Also, and this is asking a lot--how do I put particular games on my desktop under games? I know there have been other postings, but I need it "really simple."

I really appreciate your help!
    chris

steppiemum, Aug 22, 2008
  6. steppiemum

steppiemum

I've got Solitaire!!

Hurray,

Woo Hoo! I did another check and found that I had not downloaded Solitaire via PySolFC. Now, I have and it's wonderful!! So, thanks alot.

Now, if I could only put the icons on my desktop :mrgreen:

Thanks,
    Chris

steppiemum, Aug 22, 2008
  7. steppiemum

joseerj

joseerj, Sep 27, 2008
  8. steppiemum

joseerj

uff, my first reply...

i have the same problem.

joseerj, Sep 27, 2008
  9. steppiemum

steppiemum

I solved the problem by being online when I accessed the Repository. Now I have more solitaire games than I will ever need!

Good luck,
    Chris

steppiemum, Sep 27, 2008
  10. steppiemum

joseerj

my network center doesn't work... y will re-install a fresh new sistem and try again :)

joseerj, Sep 27, 2008
Ask a Question