I want to discuss the solderless touchscreen kit.

Discussion in 'Modding and Customization' started by Scissors, Mar 3, 2009.

1. Scissors

Scissors

I guess you could consider this a split from this thread, but I want to discuss it in different sense.

What I want to know,however, is a reliable source that I can get one of these.
    Also I'd like to get more deep into the touchscreen, For those who have tried it, what pros and cons did you notice.
    If I but one of these I want to know what I'm getting.

Scissors, Mar 3, 2009
  2. Scissors

MParker

I have an HP Pavilion TX2500NR (12" tablet PC) and as much as I like it for editing photos and general internet use, I think touch screen technology for the average user is not quite ready for prime time. ThouchSmart and MediaSmart from HP are just a small step from graphics tablets. Sensitivity issues are sometimes a problem and keyboards are still required. Many problems, major and minor have been reported on HP user sites. I think I'll pass on a touch screen for an AAO.

MParker, Mar 4, 2009
  3. Scissors

jerryt

Source = Fidohub

Pro's = Makes doing everything fast and more fun. Awesome with a GPS program. Wife was super fast at moving threw "Points of Interest" on GPS with TS, she does not like computers.

Con's = Installation problems and installation problems and also installation problems. I did the solder kit from fidohub and it took me a week to get it working.

jerryt, Mar 4, 2009
  4. Scissors

JoeCHecht

Love mine.

Installed in an evening. The extra USB ports are great for adding stuff like internal bluetooth, GPS, and the like!

Be sure to epoxy the four? wires to the top of the board, else you may break them off.

I used simple double sided tape to hold mine in. No problems.

You will want to get a good virtual keyboard. I use the one that comes with Vista, and some "Click-N-Type" in the XP virtual machines that I run. I need to find one for my Linux virtual machines.

Wish someone would re-post those links to a list of touchscreen utilities (I can't find um)...

Joe

JoeCHecht, Mar 5, 2009
  5. Scissors

jerryt

"Comfort On Screen Keyboard" is an excellent on screen keyboard for Windows XP.

jerryt, Mar 5, 2009
  6. Scissors

Scissors

@jerryt & JoCHecht
    I think JoeCHecht meant for linuxdistros.
    Well if that's the case, GOK should work. I havn't tested it though.

Back on topic:
    How is accuracy? I've been doing animations using the Synaptics Trackpad and it sucks.
    Did this with it http://spamtheweb.com/ul/upload/040309/ ... pisode.php that's an animation I've been working on using the trackpad.
    You think the screen is suitable for allot of contact? Is it even accurate enough for drawing?

@JoCHecht
    You know a Kensington micro adapter will fit in the Ones casing w/out disassembly or should you thik it's too big?
    http://us.kensington.com/html/14409.html
    That's be cool, If I get the screen, I'll get the bluetooth adapter.

Scissors, Mar 6, 2009
  7. Scissors

teh_qube

when you say animation what programs are you talking about? also are you doing 3d modelling?

i have a program at home (at work now :() that allows you to create gestures on the touchscreen that can be any keyboard shortcut/macro you want for any program which is really handy :D i'll post the link when i get home..

teh_qube, Mar 6, 2009
  8. Scissors

JoeCHecht

Yup, and thanks! I will try it out.

Can't really say. My Acer is used mainly as a backup computer in the car (when we do not have one of the big laptops in use), or to grab and take inside a store for price checking, or use with SlingPlayer on the road, or at home, where we stream all our video throughout the house, so the Aspire one makes a great remote control when used with the slingplayer)... It seems easier to use a finger to control the slingplayer than to use the touchpad. I guess I use it mostly for light websuring in Firefox with "Grab and Drag".

For me, does not work real close to the edge of the screen.

I purchased several to try out, and ended up using the Kensington inside the case. Originally (before the touchscreen) I had it stuck in one of the outside USB ports. I trimmed and sanded the edges off it so it did not snag on my wife's sweaters, and painted over it to get rid of the blue flashing light (annoying in a car at night). I used the Kensington, since some of the others worked well inside a VMWorkstation 6.5 VM (it does not like all Blutooth USB adapeters when used in a VM).

As a side note, I took apart a Jabra stereo headset, and made a cool bluetooth audio receiver (doubles as a handsfree set) for the car stereo. Now we can wirelessly stream audio from the Acer (and our phones.. pdas ) to the PT Cruiser's audio system. Pretty cool to drive down the road, while slingboxing and streaming audio from the internet into a decent sound system. It can save a small fortune on your XM/Sirius bill, since you can dump the sat subscription and go to internet only delivery. I have not yet tried hooking the Acer to the projection system, but we have tried it with the HP laptop's HDMI output... Pretty cool to pull up to a building with a 40 foot wall, set the projector on the top of the PT Cruiser (through the moonroof), and have an "instant drive in movie theater, with an excellent sound system :) The only downside so far is other people driving by will see the movie and pull up and park, and the next thing ya know, the police will pull up, wondering whats going on... I guess we where lucky for not getting arrested for doing an "illegal public showing" of a movie on the side of a Office Depot building at midnight :shock:

J

JoeCHecht, Mar 6, 2009
  9. Scissors

Scissors

Well click on watch the demo and you'll now I've been working with flash. But yeah, I do 3D modeling.
    The one is a powerful piece of technology. I actually use it as my primary PC.
    Heck, I've emulated Metal Gear Solid with a Playstation emulator at high settings. Same with Conkers Bad Fur Day on N64. (Of course I dumped 'em myself)
    The framerates stayed strong and their was no apparent lagging. Mario Golf also ran great.
    Impressively; I was running these on Windows 7 and the Ones Hardware was still stock.

BTW: The linked animation does not entirely reflect the final product. It's an alpha. An alphas alpha. Just uploaded it to show someone.

You're welcome. Hope it works out.

also you think this will fit in the case w/out tearing it apart?
    [​IMG]
    Seems pretty small. If I end up getting the touchscreen I might get that and connect it to the touchscreens hub.
    The hub is an awesome feature because I don't want to do any soldering to my One.
    I mostly want to install a bluetooth adapter so I can use WiiMote Windows Drivers There's better versions than that linked but it seems awesome to use the Wii remote on the One. Don't you think?

Scissors, Mar 6, 2009
  10. Scissors

Scissors

SO I don't mean to bump but, Is there any Hubs available that are not connected to the touchscreen.
    I wanna get K33902US and see if it fits.

Scissors, Mar 7, 2009
  11. Scissors

jerryt

You can buy an Octopus hub, which is small enough to fit inside the AAO.

jerryt, Mar 7, 2009
  12. Scissors

Scissors

Can I have a link to the specific one you are talking about. I'm familiar with the term but the "octopus hubs" that come to my mind are some huge things that modders come up with. Speaking of which. the are interesting.

But what I really want is something that is designed in the same sense like the touchscreens hub. one that requires no splicing, soldering or stripping.
    Yes, I've used google.
    So is the touch panel soldered to this hub?

Scissors, Mar 7, 2009
  13. Scissors

jerryt

Ebay search term "Octopus hub". Requires soldering.

jerryt, Mar 7, 2009
  14. Scissors

Scissors

What I turned up with.
    [​IMG]
    Really, This'll fit in the one? How big is this sucker anyway?

Scissors, Mar 7, 2009
  15. Scissors

jerryt

The only part you end up using is the PCB inside the plastic case.

You don't ever try to use the cables, as the ends are to big.

jerryt, Mar 7, 2009
  16. Scissors

teh_qube

i ordered mine last week, i'll post some pics of the process when i have some time to do the mod..

teh_qube, Mar 7, 2009
  17. Scissors

Scissors

Okay, I'm just gonna bump this, okay?

Scissors, Mar 10, 2009
  18. Scissors

teh_qube

hey ! good thing you did, my opctopus hub arrived yesterday. will take pics and post. bump it up tomorrow too so i remember to post them

teh_qube, Mar 11, 2009
  19. Scissors

Scissors

Well, I guess I will take your request and bump this.
    I just want to remind you that the 'View your posts' button is a good feature and comes in handy for lost threads.
    search.php?search_id=egosearch
    [​IMG]

Scissors, Mar 12, 2009
  20. Scissors

teh_qube

i know..i use it. but i havnt had a chance to break it open.. :oops: :oops: :oops: too much work at work :cry:

teh_qube, Mar 13, 2009
Ask a Question