'I Was Being a Parent': Father Found Not Guilty After Taking Away Daughter's iPhone

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Sefie, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Sefie

Sefie

She was 12 and, her mother said, she was not fitting in with her father's new family. She grabbed her camo-coloured iPhone 4S and shot a text to a friend - roughly: I don't like his ratchet girlfriend or her kids.

It was 2013. That word - "ratchet" - was running through rap songs and teens' text messages, thought to mean a low-class and clueless diva. When Ronald Jackson saw it, he took away his daughter's cellphone.

"I was being a parent," Jackson recently told CBS-DFW. "A child does something wrong, you teach them what's right."

Jackson, a 36-year-old from Dallas, was ultimately arrested and charged with property theft, a Class B misdemeanour - because he had taken his daughter's iPhone and refused to give it back.

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/new...lty-after-taking-away-daughters-iphone-797067

Sefie, Feb 1, 2016
  2. Sefie

IcyBC

I can't help but laugh about the whole incident, but I think it is a bit much when the fathered was arrested and charged with property theft. It seems to me that nowadays parents aren't allow to discipline their children at all, but when there is a shooting or something, they put the parents on the cross. This world is just strange!

IcyBC, Feb 2, 2016
  3. Sefie

Sefie

To be honest I feel bad for the girl. Can you believe this destroyed their relationship completely? I felt so sad, the girl was so disappointed, she even asked her dad to relinquish his parental rights one things escalated badly. And he did!!! I felt so bad for the girl when I read that...my heart would be broken if it was me or my daughter. The guy made things worse if you ask me, the moment they handcuffed him and took him to the police station... that would be the moment for him to quit that. Terrible :(

Sefie, Feb 2, 2016
  4. Sefie

thess

I don't even understand how that happens. And who called the cops on him? That's ridiculous that he would get arrested in the first place. She's 12, she's lucky all he did was take the phone away. Kids need to learn respect.

thess, Feb 7, 2016
    IcyBC likes this.
  5. Sefie

Sefie

Are you saying what she did was enough for him to do something more than just taking her phone? o_O What are you talking about? Are you talking about physical punishment? Because that is not how should discipline a child, specially not a teen.

All scalated badly because the guy wanted to play ''Alpha Male'' and kept the phone very long, wouldn't give it to the mom of the girl, even thought she BOUGHT it. If he had given the phone just a couple days later instead of being such a jerk, then he'd not have destroyed his relationship with his daughter and simply give up his rights as her father, and yes he did. Where I come from we call that kind of people a complete MORON. I'd be so disappointed if I was that girl too.

Sefie, Feb 7, 2016
  6. Sefie

tomz10

She did something wrong. She said disrespectful things about her fathers family. Yes lets not forget he IS her father. He has every right to punish/discipline her in a way that seems fit so that she learns her lesson. Hence the reason he took her phone. He could've taken it for a month if he had to for her to learn her lesson. And his daughter should respect him enough as her father to listen to him and accept that she infact did something wrong.

Sounds like both her and her mother just wanted the father out of the picture to begin with. I mean who calls the cops for something like that? If this mother cared about the right upbringing for her daughter she would've talked to the father about why he took the phone and agreed that the girl be punished for her bad behavior or come up with a better solution to disciple her. Instead she called the police because she cannot parent her own child.

In my opinion this girl had no respect or love for her father. She asked him to terminate his parental rights all because he took her phone? My parents have taken my phone from me when I did something wrong. Yes I was upset that they did every time. But that never made me hate them to the point that I didn't want them to be my parents anymore.
    This father did nothing wrong. Its sad but I'm pretty sure after all of that he just wanted nothing to do with the girl or her mother so he was wiling to terminate his rights.

tomz10, Feb 24, 2016
Ask a Question