iATKOS v4i install and issues

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SbM, Aug 18, 2008.

1. SbM

denshaotoko808

denshaotoko808, Oct 17, 2008
  2. SbM

Damn.x

What do you mean with dd?

Damn.x, Oct 18, 2008
  3. SbM

Murgatroid

dd is a standard unix command for copying things around. for example:

dd if=/dev/disk0s3 of=disk.img

will bit copy the entire 3rd partition of disk 0 into a file called disk.img. You better know what you are doing, though, as dd can really hose your system!

-steve

Murgatroid, Oct 18, 2008
  4. SbM

SbM

With Mac OS X, you can use the "Restore" functionality of Disk Utility instead of dd. More user-friendly.

SbM, Oct 18, 2008
  5. SbM

Singlespeed

I've been following the discussion for a while now. Is the general consensus that the card readers just don't work? Is anyone making any headway on this front?

Singlespeed, Oct 18, 2008
  6. SbM

denshaotoko808

Because the card readers are PCI and not USB based, from my understanding, unless someone writes or finds drivers for them, they will not work.

I'd love to see them work though as I hate carrying my adapters with me.

denshaotoko808, Oct 18, 2008
  7. SbM

Maxwell Smart

Okay, so I've done a fresh iATKOS v4i install on my 160GB/6cell, and the only thing I installed was the gma 950 stuff as per this guide. I then tried to do the brand new audio setup that Damn.x has provided, without doing any of the old and now confirmed broken stuff. Well, I installed each separately with the kext enabler and then repaired permissions and rebooted and....nothing. Audio appears in the main bar but it does nothing, and under Audio > Output in Sys Prefs, it has HD Audio Output selected, but no settings allow me to hear any sound, and there is nothing under the Input either. I didn't want to install the old crap then do this over top unless someone recommended it, so I wanted to hear what you guys had to say. I love this thing and OS X runs like a dream, if I could just get sound and sleep working I'd be golden.

Also the sound worked under XP (ich) so I know it's not a hardware issue.

Maxwell Smart, Oct 19, 2008
  8. SbM

Singlespeed

The Acer website shows Jmicron in the card reader driver download name. Maybe a driver for this brand has been written elsewhere...

Singlespeed, Oct 19, 2008
  9. SbM

justin

So I got OSX installed perfectly but the fan is driving me up the wall. I got iLife and iWork all installed and would love to use my AAO with OSX in class but the fan is just too much! Under XP I have the AA1 FanControl program installed and it works like a dream, is there anything for OSX? I have upgraded my BIOS to 3304 as well which didn't help at all... I'm at a loss...

justin, Oct 20, 2008
  10. SbM

leebo

So it seems no one has the answer to the 'sleep' question. Its galling really as it seems that its not an issue on some of the other netbooks running os x http://www.liliputing.com/2008/09/running-windows-within-os-x-on-an-msi-wind-video.html.
    I understand its with regards to the PCI/USB issue so maybe there is no answer to this on the AAO but there seems to be more interest on other netbook forums than here to solving it for their netbooks.
    Whether its more to do with amount of people trying on the MSI Wind ,or whatever, or the fact that the will is there but the expertise isnt I dont know but its a shame. This isnt to say all the hard work others have put in has been of no use though and I thank them wholeheartedly but aside from the SdCard issue (which I think most of us can live without) the sleep problem is all we're waiting on for a perfect Macbook Nano.

leebo, Oct 20, 2008
  11. SbM

4saken

dont forget fan control. my aao one is pretty damn loud when running osx.
    but I have to agree, sd isnt that important. I barely use it.

4saken, Oct 20, 2008
  12. SbM

leebo

oh yes of course. Mines not so bad but I agree it needs sorting too.
    MY girlfriend is about to buy the MSI WInd and Im wondering if Ive made a mistake from OSX point of view. I mean thats not to say other netbooks arent coming up against brick walls, the Lenovo is in worse position that our AAOs but if the hardware cannot be beaten then we just have to hold our hands up and accept that we cant have sleep or fan control or sd card use and get used to it, as much as that pains me to say it.

leebo, Oct 20, 2008
  13. SbM

Singlespeed

As a general rule, I don't use SD much either. I'm just trying to get by with one cheaper SSD versions and then hopefully utilizing the SD for storage.

Singlespeed, Oct 20, 2008
  14. SbM

justin

duplicate post...sorry

justin, Oct 20, 2008
  15. SbM

justin

Ok, dare I say it?

What about disconnecting the fan? When I have AA1 FanControl on, it never turns on because it rarely gets above 65 C. Would this totally f my system up? Is it too risky? Thoughts? What about replacing it with another quieter fan? Is that even possible?

justin, Oct 20, 2008
  16. SbM

4saken

search the hardware forum, there has been a discussion about unplugging the fan.
    to sum it up, the aao stops working. wount boot up with a disconnected fan.
    replacing the fan with a less noisier one seems the way to go. I wonder why no one looked into this yet.

4saken, Oct 20, 2008
  17. SbM

Major Kong

I have tried both the iATKOS 4 and the 4.1 and both have ended up on the bad side; the culprit is audio.

As long as I do not install audio the machine runs fine but once I get the audio working, the troubles begin. If I only install the drivers, then I get the crash screen each time I shut down the computer. If I, on the other hand, install the HDAfix thing, then the crashes go away but instead my machine won't power down. Everything goes down as expected but the last final step where it shuts itself off just will not happen.

So, the effect is that if I install audio I will have to shut down the AO by holding down the power button for a while. The only difference HDAfix makes is that it moves the point where I do the manual shutdown to a later stage... ;)

Has anyone seen this as well? It is quite bothersome. I am beginning to think that perhaps XP was not such a bad idea, after all... :lol:

Cheers!

Major Kong, Oct 21, 2008
  18. SbM

2manydjs

Miguel, I'd like to help, but I'm not sure what you want me to do.. I'm running Ubuntu right now.

Any luck with that new EFI?

2manydjs, Oct 21, 2008
  19. SbM

justin

I was having that same problem but after installing Paul's kexts. I solved this by making the first thing I did was installing OSx86 Tools and running all the system maintenance tasks. After that everything worked great! Hope that helps.

justin, Oct 21, 2008
  20. SbM

denshaotoko808

I spent the better part of 2 days trying to get a dual boot OSX / Linpus setup working, only to have my wireless card not work when I finally got OSX and Linpus on the same install.

I tried everything to salvage my dual boot install but ended up trashing it all thinking that switching from MBR to GUID would fix my missing Dell 1390 problem in OSX. It didn't. Finally, after reinstalling the system approx 4 times over and over, and trying all the troubleshooting tips in this forum, I decided to check the version of my BIOS. Lo and behold the BIOS was 3301. This is probably because my AAO bricked during the install of Windows and I had to reflash the bios. As soon as I updated the BIOS, my wireless cards were back.

I have no problem with Audio or shutdown/restart, but my dual boot was shot. I'm not sure if I'll waste my time attempting it again, as I couldn't find a way to get the Dell 1390 recognized by Linpus.

If you follow SbM's tutorial up until Video, then do this: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1505&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=240#p34812 instead of his Audio and Shutdown procedures, things should be fine, at least it is for me.

denshaotoko808, Oct 21, 2008
Ask a Question