iATKOS v4i install and issues

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SbM, Aug 18, 2008.

1. SbM

violajack

The Dell 1390 card does not have native linux drivers available in Linpus. The only solution would be ndiswrapper, which is not in the repositories. You would have to compile ndiswrapper, which requires the build essentials, which is the point at which I gave up. I didn't feel like mucking up Linpus with that much stuff only to have to fight with ndiswrapper, which in my experience doesn't like the wpa encryption on my home network. The linux in my triple boot is the beta of Ubuntu, Intrepid. It has a newer kernel with native drivers for the card. You just have to be wired in on your first boot so it can pull the firmware off the server to set up the card the first time. Linpus may have gotten to the desktop quickly, but still took 40 seconds to make a the wifi connection, meaning it wasn't significantly faster than any other OS I wanted to install. I'm happy with Ubuntu when I want a linux fix.

As for the audio issues, I installed the new kexts over top of the original fixes from the first post when I did my initial install and everything seems to work smoothly now. I get no more hangs on shutdown. I didn't undo any of the original fixes, just dumped the new kexts in and it works.

violajack, Oct 21, 2008
  2. SbM

Maxwell Smart

EDIT: Nope, now I have shutdown issues, grrr, does anyone have a solution for getting the sound working without crashes or shutdown problems?

EDIT 2: I have found the solution, for me at least, was to follow the instructions on the first page, then follow up with the 2 new kexts. This has resulted in audio without the kernel panics or shutdown problems.

Maxwell Smart, Oct 21, 2008
  3. SbM

denshaotoko808

Yeah, I only discovered this AFTER I finally got my dual boot going. I'm glad at least I know now. I don't really NEED a linux install, I just wanted something that actually allowed the AAO to sleep and use the card slots on the right hand side. I am going on a trip soon and will take the AAO instead of my MacBook Pro just to save on weight. I plant to do simple system admin stuff and photo storage on it as I usually do when I'm traveling. I may try out a different Linux flavor if they can figure out sleep. Until then, i'll just stick with my OSX install as I'm pretty sick of installing stuff.

denshaotoko808, Oct 21, 2008
  4. SbM

mfds

Just got a Acer Aspire One zg5 (120 gh hd).. just because of this forum...
    After 3 days of trying everything I still can't pass the blinking cursor wnhem I tried to boot (f12) from DVD, USB drive, USB 8 gb flash pen.... formated mbr, restored iATKOS_4i, runned osx86 tools, used the Chameleon EFI... but still get the blinking cursor when f12 it...
    DVD... same is blinks for about 10 seconds then jump to xp looding.....
    I've used terminal and confirmed that i've got the right iATKOS version, 6ed6282a521fe0ffdcbe028e6e43da0e
    Don't know what to do anymore... HELP!!!!!!!

mfds, Oct 22, 2008
  5. SbM

johnwillo

Since SbM originally wrote his wonderful guide, the osx86tools used in step 3d have been updated. This new version (1.0.150) does not work for me or (apparently) for some other people. The version that I believe SbM used was 1.0.149, and it is still available at the same site, but is not displayed by default. Just select "All downloads" from the popup, and the older version will be there. It worked for me, and several other people who had a problem with 1.0.150.

johnwillo, Oct 22, 2008
  6. SbM

mfds

Thanks johnwillo for the quick reply... I have just tried to find 1.0.149 but cannot find it in the original site or anywhere else in google... lots of links, but eventually links you to the new version...
    BUT... if I've got a external DVD and skip all the osx86tool thing, why is it still getting the blinking cursor?...
    Any Idea?

mfds, Oct 22, 2008
  7. SbM

denshaotoko808

Hmm that is strange. I've installed and re-installed about a dozen times and it's worked just about everytime except when my BIOS got hosed. What BIOS are you running?

denshaotoko808, Oct 23, 2008
  8. SbM

mfds

System Bios Version: v0.3301

mfds, Oct 23, 2008
  9. SbM

denshaotoko808

You should definitely update to 3305!
    3301 wouldn't allow my Dell 1390 wifi card to work at all. I have a feeling it may be the cause of your grief too.

10. SbM

mfds

Thanks for the tip denshaotoko808, Just upgraded to 3305 w/o any trouble... but...
    still external dvd boot will blink cursor for 5 seconds and jump to start XP... I will try to dig the old osx86tools 1.0.149 in the web to try using my usb drive :-( ...
    there must be something that i'm doing wrong......

mfds, Oct 23, 2008
  11. SbM

denshaotoko808

12. SbM

mfds

YES!!!!, I've got it!!!! Thaks for all the help... OS x is running in my AAone.... SO HAPPY....
    Just installed Paul's .kexts, the link for the ALC268FIX is not active (removed by rapidshare).... I'm searching for that... so far so GOOOOD!!!
    Thanks denshaotoko808

mfds, Oct 23, 2008
  13. SbM

denshaotoko808

14. SbM

mfds

Ok, tried that link and the sound did not worked... found the other one (ALC268Installer 1)... Installed fine... could not find ALCInject.kext to deleted, it is just not there..... installed HDAEnabler.kext and deleted Extensions.mkext... REBOOT and the grey screen w/ the apple never goes away..... hangs there forever....
    decided to start everything again from the beginning... but... any suggestion so that could not happen again??

mfds, Oct 23, 2008
  15. SbM

zolker

hi!, sorry for my inglish, i have one problem, in the first instalation with mac 10.5.4 in my aspire one, the webcam works fine, but now I have reinstalled mac 10.5.4 and the webcam not works, please help.

kext someone has the file on the webcam?

Thankyou! :p

zolker, Oct 23, 2008
  16. SbM

mfds

Reporting that after the second attempt I now have OX X 10.5.4 smoothly working on my Acer Aspire One zg5 (120 gh hd)...
    I Will buy the wireless card, and wait for a sleep solution.

THANKS SbM's for the detailed instructions... YOU ROCK!
    Also thank you johnwillo and denshaotoko808 for the debugging help.

I Want to find out what kind of updates I should avoid...

EDIT 1:
    Just instaled Office, iLife... all works fine.
    the issues I have still the ones listed in the fist page by SbM

NOT WORKING
    * Wifi (will order the dell one)
    * Card readers (neither of them).
    * Sleep (reboots the machine).
    * Audio-in (neither from the internal mic nor from the jack connector...
    ........and i Will ad Crashes on shutdown, fan keeps on forever....
    Anybody got any success with these issues?

mfds, Oct 23, 2008
  17. SbM

jombay

Installed kalyway's 10.5.2 tonight then updated to 10.5.5 using the pre/post patches. Didn't have an external dvd drive or a usb drive that was big enough for the install, so I ripped open my AAO again and connected the 120gb HD to my desktop. Install went well, popped it back into the AAO. Everythings working perfectly except for wifi, sleep, and battery indicator.

jombay, Oct 24, 2008
  18. SbM

denshaotoko808

Why is it crashing at shutdown? What error do you get?

denshaotoko808, Oct 24, 2008
  19. SbM

mfds

Looks like the shutdown went normal, but the fan keeps going... black screen... the power led keeps on... the only way to really shutdown (stop the fan and power led) is to press and hold the power bottom..

mfds, Oct 24, 2008
  20. SbM

gw-acer

That sounds more like you're in "clamshell sleep" - where the screen is asleep but the hackintosh is running video out (for the Macs that work when they are closed). Press and hold to power off is just powering off.

I never get "clamshell sleep" if I choose "shutdown" using the instructions from SbM (although kinda wishing I hadn't added Speedstep).

gw-acer, Oct 24, 2008
Ask a Question