iATKOS v4i install and issues

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SbM, Aug 18, 2008.

1. SbM

bingggo

InsydeH20 Setup Utility Rev. 3.5
    System BIOS Version: v0.3109
    VGA BIOS Version: Intel V1585

Same as yours?

bingggo, Aug 20, 2008
  2. SbM

SbM

All the same, yes. I'm running short of ideas here... :(

SbM, Aug 20, 2008
  3. SbM

SbM

Tested audio-in tonight... doesn't work, neither from the internal mic nor from the jack connector. Tried with Audacity and Audio Recorder.

:(

SbM, Aug 20, 2008
  4. SbM

vzmr82

I would like to have a try in installing iATKOS in my One. As of now, I have the SSD disk with the original Linpus, and an USB disk with Windows XP. I just have to plug in the USB before booting to run Windows or unplug it to have Linpus.

If I read correctly, you have installed iATKOS in a USB disk. This is what I would like to do, keeping Linpus on the SSD disk (for now). If I follow you instructions, but install on an external USB drive, will all work?

Thanks,

RS

vzmr82, Aug 20, 2008
  5. SbM

SbM

It should work, for sure. I still have my Xubuntu install safe on the SSD and Mac OS X on the external drive and it works fine. Have a go at it ;)

SbM, Aug 21, 2008
  6. SbM

vzmr82

Thanks, I will...

vzmr82, Aug 21, 2008
  7. SbM

Woody

Just confirming that your tutorial works completely, got everything working besides the knowed issues.
    Good work!

Woody, Aug 21, 2008
  8. SbM

SbM

Thanks! Glad it worked for you, although I'm still a bit concerned about bingggo's failure. What the hell can be wrong with his setup?

Just for my information, what did you install to?

SbM, Aug 21, 2008
  9. SbM

Woody

Aspire One with the 8 ssd hd, upgraded the ram from 512 to 1536.
    Just followed everything from the guide. But when I put an MS card in the (right) slot, Mac Os calculated it together with the SSD.
    :D

Woody, Aug 21, 2008
  10. SbM

SbM

OK, good to know because then bingggo's problems are not related to his installing Mac OS X on the SSD... But what the hell is wrong, then? :?

You don't say! You mean that when you insert an MS card in the right-hand slot (which isn't supposed to act as storage expansion, btw), its capacity adds up to the SSD's 8GB??? Amazing... It didn't work /at all/ here with an SD card. I'll have to try that...

SbM, Aug 21, 2008
  11. SbM

Woody

I think it will work with either a sd card as well. Haven't tried yet...

About the install of a usb disk, that might be the problem...
    Perhaps their may be a friend along that is willing to lend an external dvd drive.
    So far, I believe it's still the best way to do.

I also tried Ideneb , but it won't install. Also other iso 's like Kalyway don't want to install.
    As for now, I like to find a Tiger edition for the Aspire One. The reason for that is that it might speed up the perfomance.

Woody, Aug 21, 2008
  12. SbM

SbM

That's really strange cause it doesn't work at all on my setup.

Well, Leopard actually ran /faster/ than Tiger on my Mini and iBook, so I'm not so sure Tiger would be faster on the One. But please try it and report.

SbM, Aug 21, 2008
  13. SbM

UbuntuUser

I'm not sure if this is related to bingggo's problem but after installing Paul's kexts I got a blank light blue screen at boot after the apple logo disappears. The solution was not installing Paul's GMA950 driver. Just installing AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer will give you the correct resolution. In my case all of the other kexts are harmful:

- ACPIBattery.kext haven't tested, SbM said don't install
    - AppleIntelGMA950.kext causes blue screen on bootup
    - AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext INSTALL THIS
    - AppleSMBIOS.kext causes hang on apple logo screen, booting with -v shows several ACPI-related crash reports
    - ClamshellDisplay.kext causes hang when you close the lid, apparently it tries to put the laptop to sleep which it doesn't wake up from
    - Natit.kext appears to be useless, just NVIDIA/ATI drivers?
    - RealtekR1000.kext haven't tested as per SbM's advice

UbuntuUser, Aug 23, 2008
  14. SbM

UbuntuUser

Correction: Natit may be necessary, I got the blue screen again after removing it. However, kextstat doesn't show it as loaded. Go figure, maybe it's better to keep it installed.

UbuntuUser, Aug 23, 2008
  15. SbM

SbM

It broke the battery-status icon here, that's why I didn't install it when I reinstalled the iATKOS release.

Hmmm... Good to know. I haven't tried this. I thought these two worked together, since they relate to video, and didn't dare install one without the other.

I've had no hang here, but I'll try without it, if only to check how things go on my setup. What is this .kext supposed to do anyway? I guess it's related to BIOS stuff, but what exactly does it do?

The name suggests that it's for the "clamshell mode", that is to keep the One awake when you close the lid and use an external display (like you can do with a PowerBook, for instance). But all the sleep/wake functions seem very dodgy with Mac OS X on the One, anyway, so I might as well skip this .kext too.

Didn't know what it was, so I installed it just in case.

It works, but it doesn't notice if you plug/replug your RJ-45 cable. So basically you have to make sure it's plugged in when you start the One, which can be quite inconvenient. The driver I gave the URL to, on the contrary, works real fine (it's the genuine one for the One's Realtek8101E chip) and /will/ detect your plugging/unplugging of the cable.

Thanks for all the info you supplied. I guess it's time for me to uninstall the .kexts you haven't installed and eventually update my topic. Thanks again very much!

SbM, Aug 23, 2008
  16. SbM

UbuntuUser

Thanks SbM for the clarifications! I'm very happy with the setup now. I wouldn't use OS X as the main system especially due to sleep issues and the need for a new wireless card, but presently it's very good to have available for testing, running some mac-only programs and plain bragging rights :D

UbuntuUser, Aug 23, 2008
  17. SbM

vzmr82

@SbM

I am starting my installation process. I have a small USB hard disk, on which I have created 2 partitions. The first partition I am running windows xp, and on the second partition, which I just created, will handle OSX (I will install dual boot later).

I created a bootable USB flash with iATKOS 4i, and installed in the newly created partition.

System booted fined first time, so I moved into the Tweaking part of your guide.

As I didn't exactly know how to install kexts, I googled and end up copying all the following kexts to /System/Library/Extensions:
    • AppleIntelGMA950[/*:m:sfkur1me]
    • AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer[/*:m:sfkur1me]
    • AppleSMBIOS[/*:m:sfkur1me]
    • ClamshellDisplay[/*:m:sfkur1me]
    • Natit[/*:m:sfkur1me]

I rebooted and, after receiving some errors saying the kext files were broken, I realised that I had forgoten to delete a file called Extensions.(something) in /System/Library and change the attributes of the kext files (CHMOD and CHOWN) I copied in. So I did that and rebooted again...

And the system hangs... at apple screen.

I am now reistalling (I will finish it later tonight), but I will first follow UbuntuUser's experience, and see if everything works fine.

I will let you know the outcome.

RS

vzmr82, Aug 25, 2008
  18. SbM

SbM

Paul's package includes a very useful utility called "kext helper" that you can use to install .kexts and spare you all the headaches ;)

SbM, Aug 25, 2008
  19. SbM

vzmr82

I tried to use it with no sucess on the first time. I will try again later today, when restarting the process...

vzmr82, Aug 25, 2008
  20. SbM

doxx

I'm happy to report that iAtkos v4 is running fine on my A1, thanks to SbM's detailed instructions. everything works as previously stated. I have a Dell 1390 coming in the mail... after cleaning up (languages, fonts, some of the larger unused kexts) I have 1.5GB left on the 8GB SDD (write speeds are horrible btw.)

sleep & card readers would be grand - anybody?

doxx, Aug 25, 2008
Ask a Question