iATKOS v4i install and issues

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SbM, Aug 18, 2008.

1. SbM

SbM

Glad it worked for you!

I'm currently investigating the installation process of the new JaS 10.5.4 release... Stay tuned ;)

SbM, Aug 25, 2008
  2. SbM

SbM

OK, seems the problems I have with the "Shared" tab in the Finder and related issues are caused by the RTL8101 ethernet driver I've installed... Could other users confirm that? Thanks.

SbM, Aug 25, 2008
  3. SbM

vzmr82

Update of my installation process:

• after 3 installs I finally got it running, just leaving behind some apple screen hangs and other blue hangs[/*:m:arkc8w99]
    • I have managed to get dual boot: my USB HDD had the first partition with Windows XP, I installed OSX and now can dual boot with Darwin86 (I think this is the correct name)[/*:m:arkc8w99]
    • it's working by using all kexts in SbM guide... [/*:m:arkc8w99]
    • I don't seem to get SpeedStep sticking at boot, I need to restart it manually all the time[/*:m:arkc8w99]
    • I am now in the process of getting audio, but step 3 on the guide is just taking over an hour...[/*:m:arkc8w99]
    • I have managed to get my portuguese keyboard correctly mapped by using Ukelele, and their Logitech Portuguese Keyboard layout, but I have just one key that doesn't work (<> key is simply dead). I can see that SbM has added what could be solution to this problem... Shall I just do this? [/*:m:arkc8w99]

Regarding the Terminal chown and chmode commands above, couldn't they be replaced by running the "useful utility called "kext helper" "?

You know this can be changed in System Preferences-Keyboard&Mouse-Keyboard-ModifierKeys? You can exchange Alt and Command keys, for example...

I don't get access to my Mac Mini either (if it matters, it is a PowerPC mini) but it is named correctly. Everything is working with my Mac Pro shared folders, but it is named incorrectly...

I will post further achievements...

vzmr82, Aug 26, 2008
  4. SbM

doxx

sharing works fine via Ethernet and airport (hooray, I just installed a Dell 1390, $10 on ebay), servers in the shared tab oftentimes come up delayed or after I mount them via command-K, but that's a general issue with Leopard...
    [​IMG]

doxx, Aug 26, 2008
  5. SbM

doxx

it's a beautiful thing...

[​IMG]

doxx, Aug 26, 2008
  6. SbM

vzmr82

A new question: is it safe to install the new apple security update (2008-005, I think)? The "Software Update" is offering me to install it but I am not sure I end up with a dead system...

vzmr82, Aug 26, 2008
  7. SbM

SbM

Yes, it solved the issue for me. We have the same type of keyboard in France, with the "<>" key just right of the left Shift key, and it wasn't recognized. I installed the .kext and it now works fine.

Well you're right, it would probably work. I just copied the instructions I was given, but using "Kext helper" would probably be easier. Will have to change this bit of the how-to.

Yep I know, but I plan to move keys around (I mean physically) to mimic a real Mac keyboard layout.

That's really weird, 'cause it seems to work fine with the Realtek R1000 driver from Paul's package... I get access to my Mini and it's spelled correctly with this driver.

EDIT : Installing the Security Update is fine. Did it : no problem.

SbM, Aug 26, 2008
  8. SbM

SonyStyle

Hi guys!
    I tried to install iATKOS 4i from external usb drive to AAO (upgraded to 1.5GB/80GB 1.8"), but I got the same error the other guy got! (the blinking curser after reboot)

Anyone has any solution? plz dont tell me it's not possible on HDD... :?

SonyStyle, Aug 26, 2008
  9. SbM

vzmr82

Big problems installing this. I got white apple screens hangs (well, not hangs, I found out they were recurring crashes as the disk was still working continously), which only went way after deleting ApplePS2Keyboard.kext. Don't ask me why...

Well you're right, it would probably work. I just copied the instructions I was given, but using "Kext helper" would probably be easier. Will have to change this bit of the how-to.
    [/quote:1x0fysh0]

Maybe it was because of this. I had to delete Extensions.kext manually after booting in safe mode, when deleting ApplePS2Keyboard.kext.

That's really weird, 'cause it seems to work fine with the Realtek R1000 driver from Paul's package... I get access to my Mini and it's spelled correctly with this driver.
    [/quote:1x0fysh0]

Well, I think there is something wrong, because I suspect that it is recognizing the other systems through SMB (Samba), not AFP. How can I be sure of this?

Installed it too, before substituting the ApplePS2Keyboard.kext... Sound is working fine, also. And, of course, no resume on sleep.

vzmr82, Aug 26, 2008
  10. SbM

SbM

Hmmm I don't know much about SMB. But the fact that my Mini shows as "mini" and not "Mini", with an icon representing a PC and not a Mac Mini, makes me suspect you might be right here.

SbM, Aug 26, 2008
  11. SbM

SbM

To anyone who has installed iATKOS : I tried (and failed) to get finger-scroll using this package : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88811

So I uninstalled the stuff, cos it didn't work here, but now my System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse prefpane won't load anymore.

If you've never installed the aforementioned finger-scroll driver on your own iATKOS install, could you please check that your Keyboard&Mouse prefpane loads fine?

SbM, Aug 26, 2008
  12. SbM

doxx

keyboard & mouse loads w/o problems

doxx, Aug 26, 2008
  13. SbM

SbM

OK, then it's my tinckering that caused the problem... bugger...

EDIT : found a solution on the web:

I used to had the same problem as you do with the keyboard & mouse preferences. The difference, is I use spanish as my native language. I'll try to explain easily what I did.

First, open a finder window, and go to System -> Library -> PreferencePanes, search for Keyboard.prefPane, right click on it, and click on
    "Show Package Contents".

After that done, a window opens, with "Contents" on it. Go into the folder, find Resources, open it. You're going to see a lot of icons and some LANGUAGE.lproj (where language is English, Spanish, dutch, etc). What i did, was asking a friend with an original mac to send me the folder of my language (in my case, Spanish.lproj) and I replaced it. It asked me to replace, authenticate, and closed the window.

Then i went to the System Preferences, tried to open the Keyboard & Mouse Settings, and it was working.

It worked ! So the prefpane actually stopped working when I installed the French localization files.

SbM, Aug 26, 2008
  14. SbM

SbM

I've just realised: you probably CAN'T use Paul's kext helper to install this one, actually, because you're supposed to install it INSIDE another .kext (ApplePS2Controller.kext). I guess that's why you experienced crashes. Sorry for that.

SbM, Aug 26, 2008
  15. SbM

vzmr82

:eek: Ah, it's explained. I am sorry for that, because your guide clearly states where to put this file. I was just assuming to put it in the same place as the other kext files.

I just updated my system, everything works fine now. You know that, at least in the case of the portuguese A110 keyboard, the Portuguese Logitech keyboard layout works out of the box (see in http://scripts.sil.org/ukelele).

Keep up the good work.

UPDATE: just a final comment. My external USB dual boots with OSX (2nd partition) and Windows (1st partition) with Darwin and a MBR partition scheme. Everything works as it should... And I just unplug the disk to get Linpus.

NEW UPDATE: just installed 1Gb more of RAM. All OSs recognize it... :lol:

vzmr82, Aug 26, 2008
  16. SbM

aone

Am I the only one having problems with this part? I can't get it to work for the life of me. I'm on my fourth install and everything else has been great. Replaced the wifi card... Went through the audio steps... Etc... but when I use the ktext's for the video, kill the cache and reboot... I always get a blank blue screen.... BUT I know the system is up and running as I can turn on the speech helper guy and I hear all about the login screen I can't see.. So.. To me, that makes me feel like the driver isnt working / broken somehow.

So .. Anyone have any thoughts? And yea, this is just a run of the mill Acer One from the great Best Buy sale over the weekend.

Even though the system is "usable" in 800x600, its KILLING me to know I could drive it back up to 1024 :)

Thanks!

aone, Aug 29, 2008
  17. SbM

SbM

Well, what can I say? It works here... Make sure you have NOT checked the GMA950 driver in the install options, that's the only thing I can think of that could explain your problem.

Please let us know how it goes...

SbM, Aug 29, 2008
  18. SbM

aone

Shoot! I was hoping you wouldnt say that and had some almighty words of wisdom with a direct helper-outter :)

Thanks for getting back so quick though.

I'll go see what I can figure out and post back. I don't honestly remember if I clicked it or not...

*QUICKEDIT : I'm pushing the kexts back in again.. This time I'm using the helper tool... Lets see if it was just me hosing the install manually.

Suggestion - and not a critique in a negative way at all btw!!! ... Maybe clue the user reading the guide into the helper tool in the first section as its included in the paul utils directory so they dont have to try doing it in a shell and potentially messing up :)

aone, Aug 29, 2008
  19. SbM

aone

Mother of god.

That fixed it.

I am *SO* friggin happy.

Thank you SO much for the great guide!!!!!!!!!

aone, Aug 29, 2008
  20. SbM

SbM

You're welcome! Glad it worked. What you probably /didn't/ do when you installed 'em "manually" is perform the "sudo chown" and "sudo chmod" needed to fix permissions and trashing the Extensions cache, which are absolutely mandatory operations AFAIK.

EDIT: btw, thanks for the suggestion, I'm gonna change the guide accordingly.

EDIT2: Done! Hope you like the change. Please tell me if you think I could improve this further.

SbM, Aug 29, 2008
Ask a Question