iATKOS v4i install and issues

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SbM, Aug 18, 2008.

1. SbM

aone

I did do that... Well. Let's say I "remember" doing it :)

Anyway, looked at the guide - looks good. That little tweak will possibly help the next one behind me so .... lookin good!

Thanks again.

I'm also on the hunt for the audio in... no such luck yet.

aone, Aug 29, 2008
  2. SbM

aRt

iATKOSv4i installed here - aRt / founder of hackint0sh

No issues - everything works - havent tested the sd slot yet - gonna have a look at that soon

The wireless - works - cause I put in a bcm94311mcag

1gb of memory - 120gigs internal harddrive

photobooth works - so does ichat - and the sound also

http://www.hackint0sh.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50607

there above u can check out when I ran logic pro 8 from the aspire with over 20 tracks playin the demo songs.

the videos are taken with an iphone - pawned ofcourse ;) and its iphone video recorder - its damn slowish and doesnt
    reflect the acer aspire - but u can see that logic pro really runs well even on this lil brat :)

I run leo 10.5.4 - no issues - :) except the fan keeps on runnin after shutdown. this could be acpi errors - atleast it is as if it is given a reset value instead of shutdown - as the power doesnt turn off.

Regards,

aRt.

aRt, Aug 30, 2008
  3. SbM

unx

Just curious, is the sleep function work? I have installed iAKTOS, but I still can't make this feature work!

unx, Aug 30, 2008
  4. SbM

SbM

Sleep doesn't work, no. I'd really like knowledgeable people to look into this issue, as it's one of the most useful still missing. Please! :roll:

@aRt: as for this shutdown problem, it happens here too some of the times. It seems I've made it less frequent by adding the "cpus=1" boot flag (which is not a very satisfactory fix), but it's yet to be confirmed. What do you think it could be related to? (audio?)

SbM, Aug 30, 2008
  5. SbM

SonyStyle

Am I the only one who left without any answer? :(
    I Install 80GB 1.8" Toshiba HDD which works fine when I try to install Ubuntu or Win XP, But when I try to install iATKOS 4i, after installation finished, and computer get rebooted, nothing comes up except a blinking curser...
    Any idea?? where did I go wrong? I did it 4-5 times but with same result...

I used the USB flash memory method (format as HFS+ (Journaled) with MBR table and restore the iATKOS image on it) + select GUID for target disk and again HFS+ (Journaled)

Help Plz... I just bought AAO for Leopard... :cry:

SonyStyle, Aug 30, 2008
  6. SbM

zakfontaine

@SbM
    Have you personally used the DW 1490 wireless card? I ordered one off of ebay for about 15$, and upon reading into it further saw that some users have had issues with the WEP encryption and that particular card. There is a solution, but it looked rather involved. I haven't installed the card yet; I just went ahead and bought one for a friend who is waiting on the 160gb 6 cell model. I have a 1390 in mine. Thanks.

zakfontaine, Aug 30, 2008
  7. SbM

SbM

I don't have the slightest clue what can be wrong with your setup... If you followed my guide step by step (provided your iATKOS .iso isn't corrupted), everything should be fine. I simply have no solution, no sorry.

SbM, Aug 30, 2008
  8. SbM

SbM

Not yet. I'm still waiting for a good opportunity to buy one at a good price. But I think rory has one and it works fine... Can't tell you anything more at the moment, unfortunately...

SbM, Aug 30, 2008
  9. SbM

zakfontaine

Oh ok, well that's good. Thanks for the info.

zakfontaine, Aug 30, 2008
  10. SbM

aRt

ok guys - I think I killed the problem with the fan still bein on and not working properly always making too much sound even while cpu is not hot.

I went to /System/Library/

sudo su
    rm -rf Extensions.mkext

cd Extensions

rm -rf AppleThermal.kext dont quite remember what its called if this is a typo - sorry

but I deleted that - also removed all acpi thermal fan control as this is all done by the bios... according to cpu temp.

now the machine is very silent - the fan comes on when the machine is very hot and increases then....

When I do shutdown - it shuts down properly.

tho, due to the audio driver - I sometimes have a crash on shutdown.

this is when using the hdaenabler by taruga and them. - its stops the shutdown process - the audio driver dont terminate well and crashes. - It needs to be hacked or we need to kill it manually in the shutdown process with a script or app.

Also - there is a sd card driver made for dell inspiron at insanelymac that I downloaded on one of my machines.

I havent tried it yet - its a bit cpu hogging - as it doesnt rely on interrupts - it just hooks on and starts doin its bits until its finished the author wrote.

Tho I bet this is gonna work with a tiny mod or maybe none at all.

This is good news guys, we can adapt this one to fit our acer aspire one umpcs!

I must say now I have no issues - opening and closing the aspire to install the bcm94311mcag also was a piece of cake.

Its the most functioning hackint0sh system I have ever had - no serious problems here - just some tuning to do.

It rocks! Thinking of compiling a list of components - with source indication so that ppl can make their own install disc for emergency rescue. ;)

Best regards,

aRt - waitin for a 3g card to install next - asus also wrote they will release such an internal module - but I can use one right now if its huawei - since there are drivers - so Im gettin one asap

Best regards

aRt.:D

aRt, Aug 30, 2008
  11. SbM

SbM

Well done, mate! I'll try this asap.

Do you have any idea how this could be done?

Hhhmmm... Sounds promising nonetheless. Please let us know how well it works...

Even with the sleep/wake feature? Did you find a way to make it work?

That's a swell idea!

Keep up the good work: I'm still looking for a fix to my "Shared" tab problem (Bonjour connectivity) ;)

SbM, Aug 30, 2008
  12. SbM

robotmaker

"FULL ISO KEYBOARD ("<>" key with French layout, for instance)
    Download the modified ApplePS2Keyboard.kext from here : http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php? ... 95568&st=0
    Copy it to /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ to replace the original one. BE CAREFUL: don't install it in /System/Extensions/ but INSIDE the ApplePS2Controller.kext you'll find there.
    Open Terminal and type:
    Code:
    sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext
    sudo chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/ApplePS2Controller.kext/Contents/PlugIns/ApplePS2Keyboard.kext
    sudo rm /System/Library/Extensions.mkext
    Reboot."
    Being a newbie, I dont understand what "iso keyboard means. If it helps, I want to use a USA english layout

robotmaker, Aug 31, 2008
  13. SbM

dowhile

This thread is great! thank you for the installation guide and the tips n tricks :)

My only issue at this point of the install is the speed step functionality from the menu bar, sometimes it loads and sometimes it completely fails to show up. When I do a PS AUX in the terminal I'm finding this

/bin/sh /Library/SpeedStep/ACPICPUThrottler

/Applications/SpeedStep.app/Contents/MacOS/SpeedStep

and sometimes I'm having more than one /Applications/SpeedStep.app/Contents/MacOS/SpeedStep show up

after I kill the SpeedStep.app(s) it loads back up fine in menu bar

my question is... even though it's not being shown in the menu bar, is the CPU itself still acting as it should? I assume the menu bar application is nothing more than a visual representation to what the CPU is really doing?

robotMaker if your having some funky characters displaying after your install be sure to check in system preferences / international / input menu and make sure you have the proper country selected.. and the unwanted one(s) removed.

the default install of iATKOS for me was setup for Turkish, changed it to Canadian and boom had my _-.i back :)

also is it safe to do software updates on here?

again thanks everyone

hopefully over time we can work out the audio in and sleep issue

dowhile, Aug 31, 2008
  14. SbM

SbM

That's what I thought too, but if you type "sysctl kern.cputhrottle_freqs" when the menu bar application fails to load you'll get an error message, with means the throttler extension failed to load as well. If you run the SpeedStep.app yourself at this point, it should load everything.

I consider this a minor issue. It seems to happen less frequently if you set the "cpus=1" boot flag in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist.

SbM, Aug 31, 2008
  15. SbM

SbM

A full ISO keyboard, among other differences, has an extra key to the right of the left-hand "shift" key. For instance, the French layout has: "shift", then "</>", and then "W", "X", "C", etc.

This "</>" doesn't work as it should if you don't install this "full ISO" extension.

SbM, Aug 31, 2008
  16. SbM

dowhile

So I noticed my usb ports did not mount my flash drives last night after finishing the install, if I started the system with the flash drive in, it would send power to the drives after the post, but OSX would not mount them

in the thread "This should fix USB Problems"

there is a link to

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php? ... b+hot+swap

which make reference to

your kernel and system.ktext showing different versions, this was true in my case

I decided what the hell, I've already installed 4 times today lets try this fix

http://rapidshare.com/files/115617132/u ... 3.mpkg.zip

reboot.

all three usb ports will mount my flash drives no problem

and!

the speed step menu loads every time, and stays up the entire duration of the OS being loaded

I don't know if it's conincidence, but before applying the usb_fix_1.3 I couldn't get the speed step to run without killing processes.... and even then it would load, die, stay up go down...

but now it's all good in the hood.

dowhile, Aug 31, 2008
  17. SbM

mwkchan

I got that work! Just install it following the instructions on http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88811 and set zAcceptThreshold to 60. That works! Although not as smooth as the real mac.

mwkchan, Aug 31, 2008
  18. SbM

Oli54

Don't work for me... :?

I have a AAO 150 with the iATKOS_4i, the installation is ok but after, on reboot, i only have a blink cursor... I've followed your notes step by step :roll:

What's wrong?

Thanks,
    Olivier.

PS: Sorry for my bad english but i'm french :).

Update: It's works now... Leopard don't like spaces in the hdd name... :!:

Oli54, Aug 31, 2008
  19. SbM

SbM

Salut Olivier,

Content que ça ait finalement fonctionné. Je vais corrigier le tuto immédiatement.

(Hi Olivier, glad it finally worked. I'll correct my guide immediately).

SbM, Aug 31, 2008
  20. SbM

SbM

Weird... What version was it? I have 9.2.0 for both here.

SbM, Aug 31, 2008
Ask a Question