iATKOS v4i install and issues

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SbM, Aug 18, 2008.

1. SbM

rocklord

I installed iAtkos 4i on my AA1 successfully using SbM's tutorial after upgrading mine with an 80GB Hitachi HDD, 1.5GB RAM and Dell 1390 Wireless Card. The difference from SbM is that I installed the MBR EFI instead of GUID. You cannot use GUID if you dual boot with Windows XP, which I did.

Everything works perfect in Leopard except for sleep, as with everone else. I'll try the Insomia.kext and post my results.

I also used a variance of SbM's audio patch when I installed OSX on my Hacintosh and couldn't get output on the ALC883 chip. Just substituted the ALC883 fix for the ALC268FIX.

Thank you SbM!

rocklord, Sep 8, 2008
  2. SbM

Hyperjoe

Im having issues with input for sound using mic with ichat. Is this a known issue? I have patched with kext but maybe now that I have updated, it messed it up? I do get sound out though...

Hyperjoe, Sep 9, 2008
  3. SbM

rory

Sleep can be disabled by going to system preferences
    then energy saver
    then for both battery and power supply move the sliders to the far right for never
    Rory

rory, Sep 9, 2008
  4. SbM

SbM

I seem to remember "audio input doesn't work" is listed as one of the "not working" issues in my how-to...

SbM, Sep 9, 2008
  5. SbM

2manydjs

Get a cheap small USB sound dongle (eBay around US$5 including shipping) which will give you an additional mini-jack in and out.

2manydjs, Sep 9, 2008
  6. SbM

jimmyl

Well installed following SbM last night and.... all is well. Mine does have 1.5gb of ram and works beautifully. Installed iLife and iWorks and both are fine, even did a Time Machine backup to a Time Capsule and all ok.

The only issues that seem to exist are;
    Sleep
    No WiFi yet but its in the Post!
    The Mic on the Webcam does not seem to work
    What is the icon in the menu bar that says 'Power off Card'?
    I cannot attach to a remote Mac or Time capsule by name but I can with 'Connect to Server' and use its IP address
    Not able to attach to a remote shared printer even by IP

By chance I tried my Bluetooth adapter and I works perfectly too, so if you need a very small and working adapter I can recommend this one http://cpc.farnell.com/CS16240/computer ... enext-bn01 and if you search on that site they are only £8.81 !

jimmyl, Sep 9, 2008
  7. SbM

Vicos

Hello, I've install all drivers and the speedstep menu don't show up , and the aao don't shutdown ( it finish with a black screen but the aao is alway on)
    What can i do to fix this?

EDIT: Please help me :D

Vicos, Sep 9, 2008
  8. SbM

SonyStyle

I guess that only works when lid is open... when you close the lid, it goes to sleep immidiently and if u plugged mouse to it, by clicking on the mouse it can wake up with closed lid! which is totally useless in this case...

Insomnia.kext didnt work me! I found a software based on Insomnia kext which called "InsomniaX"!! funny that it only works once!! after restarting OS X, it doesnt shows up in menu bar when I try to run It!! (weird, cause I can see it in proccesses in Activity Monitor!!) anyway, today someone suggested me to use a new software called "Cafein"... I'm going to try it now...

SonyStyle, Sep 10, 2008
  9. SbM

DHowett

Thanks SbM for this amazing guide!

I had to find a way to install this differently because I don't have an OSX computer OR an external DVD drive-
    So I was trying to improvise (Boot it from dvd on my main computer, make my ipod an install drive, etc, etc.) when I realized something-
    My iPod showed up to the One as a USB CD-ROM drive! (Probably because it has a 2kb native sector size just like CDs)
    So I dd'ed (from Linux) the ISO directly to the ipod, and volia! The One booted into install from it!

Everything works beautifully now! 4 Operating systems and the One is still chugging along happily.
    Though I'd like to know how aRt disabled the annoying fan (I'm also lost on the acpi thermal kext stuff.)

DHowett, Sep 10, 2008
  10. SbM

SbM

It's useful when you got your One connected to an external display. It allows you to keep your One closed and still use it. That's the way Macintosh laptops work.

SbM, Sep 10, 2008
  11. SbM

juryrig

Caffeine doesn't keep the computer from going to sleep when you close the lid. It just prevents the computer from going to sleep with the energy savings schedule.

The InsomniaX program is working beautifully for me. I've added it as a login item set it to start on load.

juryrig, Sep 10, 2008
  12. SbM

xavieyz

Thanks for the Help Fletch, I ended up unchecking Display mirror using alot of patients,

I also just got my dw1390 and the hackbook now has wireless internet. Very happy with the stability of this machine, iATKOS looks very promising in the future Keep up the good work (whoever is behind the scenes)

xavieyz, Sep 10, 2008
  13. SbM

jtuckn

Hello,

I've successfully installed iAtkos thanks to this thread. But I have one problem. I cannot get the shutdown to work consistently. After following the steps of installing ALC268 & Shutdown, it works the first time I shutdown. On subsequent tries, it sometimes hangs, sometimes shuts down.

Any ideas?

jtuckn, Sep 10, 2008
  14. SbM

jtuckn

I read somewhere that the shutdown hangs are caused by the sound drivers which refuse to die? Does anyone know what the exact processes are that cause the shutdown hangs? Or does anyone know how to figure that out? Because we could then implement an /etc/rc.shutdown.local to kill off any processes that refuse to stop on shutdown.

jtuckn, Sep 10, 2008
  15. SbM

SbM

Same here. Sometimes it shuts down, sometimes it hangs. Don't know if it's related to the audio driver, but I sure would like to find a real fix for this bug...

SbM, Sep 10, 2008
  16. SbM

jtuckn

I'm trying to look through the logs using Console.app in Applications/Utilities to analyse the failed shutdowns when they occur. So far I've discovered that speedstep likes to crash, and configd likes to crash as well, but mostly on startup, unfortunately.

jtuckn, Sep 10, 2008
  17. SbM

encaputxat

Hello, I have a dual boot linpus/windows with grub. It's possible to add a partition in fat32 and then install mac os x?

encaputxat, Sep 11, 2008
  18. SbM

SbM

You need an HFS+ partition to install Mac OS X.

SbM, Sep 11, 2008
  19. SbM

encaputxat

i know, but i reformat in the installation process (disk utility), im correct?

encaputxat, Sep 11, 2008
  20. SbM

dondula

So I installed this and so far so good. However I too am experiencing the shutdown problem, as well as a weird issue with sound and speed step. Almost all the time I boot the sound and speed step do not initialize on the status bar. I have to actually click at the empty space where the sound icon usually is, and then the pinwheel will spin for about 5 seconds and then sound and speed step suddenly pop on. I will not have sound until I do this, I'm thinking the sound speed step and shut down issues have to be related in some way.

dondula, Sep 12, 2008
Ask a Question