iATKOS v4i install and issues

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SbM, Aug 18, 2008.

1. SbM

dfiore

i too have this issue, although i dont have to click the empty space to get sound, shortly after startup, it just starts working.

im going to have a go at installing a different distro so to speak, kaly, leo4all and the likes and see if i can get that going. also if sleep would work , i would have no problem giving up the speed step kernel.

dave

dfiore, Sep 12, 2008
  2. SbM

encaputxat

i'm having problems with root password, what's is? I wanna install with kexthelper

encaputxat, Sep 12, 2008
  3. SbM

dfiore

try your user password

;)

dfiore, Sep 12, 2008
  4. SbM

dondula

You have to set a admin password in accounts, you can't just leave it blank. Once I made a PW the program worked.

dondula, Sep 13, 2008
  5. SbM

dondula

What is the main advantage for using the speedstep kernel, is it to conserve bat life by having the os adjust processor speed depending on work load? If this kernel isn't used does the processor just run at full 1.6ghz? Also is the Darwin boot menu add on basically just for being able to select which partition to load from. If I didn't install it would osx still load? I made a dual boot menu from my xp partition, but after I select osx at startup it loads the darwin boot menu, which I then have to press enter again and select the osx partition, basically 2 boot menus when all I want is one. Just wondering if the Darwin boot menu is necessary if I'm going to make a dual boot menu from xp.
    P.S. Thanks everyone for the dell 1390 wifi tip, just installed and loving it.

dondula, Sep 13, 2008
  6. SbM

picassolsus

Guys,

To make sure I'm reading things right, and before I dive off into the project, I want to make sure I'm summarizing properly from what I've read. Using iATKOS flavor, and after replacing wifi with 1390, the only things that are not fully working are the card reader and the sleep function of the Aspire 150?

Otherwise, everything else works within Leopard no differently than it does while running on a real Macbook? I know I read a few posts back of some issues with resolution, but if I recall there's a utility available to handle that.

Either way I'll image my current XP install in case things go awry, I can get back up easily. Thanks,

Derek

picassolsus, Sep 15, 2008
  7. SbM

SbM

You're right, everything works as on a "real" Mac except for the issues listed.

SbM, Sep 15, 2008
  8. SbM

alienmeatsack

I tried this process using the Kalyway ISO this weekend. It was doomed from the start. I started it late Friday night while I was tired, I didn't do any backups because all I was thinking was "I can't wait to install OS X on my AO, cool!" and I lost my XP recovery ability, then when I did get it working just long enough to see some results, I fouled it up more. Basically, I was up till after 4am and finally went to bed defeated.

Saturday, thanks to some kind souls on the net, I finally got XP back installed. Later in the day, I finished the download of iATKOS v4i, and decided to try again using this guide instead with iATKOS... maybe.

First thing, I need to non-destructive partition my drive to make room for it alongside XP. And I need a bootloader. Which I have no idea what to use or how.

Is there a tutorial for the bootloader install? And what is the best means to non-destructive partition my drive? (I may just have to run Ghost on it and save that off elsewhere and reinstall XP once I've partitioned.)

Does it matter if XP is on the first or second partition vs the OS X partition being first or second? Is it possible to use the Mac bootloader instead of a 3rd party?

Also, since all of our Aspire One's pretty much have identical hardware, would it be possible for someone to get it working perfectly, then do an image of the drive that others could use? Out of curiosity. I used to do this with Win98 to save a days work of installing, rebooting, updating, rebooting.

Thanks for the excellent guide, I hope to soon be able to report back with success!

alienmeatsack, Sep 15, 2008
  9. SbM

alienmeatsack

So, now that 10.5.5 is out, are there any issues with updating?

alienmeatsack, Sep 16, 2008
  10. SbM

SbM

I don't know. Try it and tell us ;)

SbM, Sep 16, 2008
  11. SbM

alienmeatsack

I'd love to, but at this point I don't even have a working OS X install yet. I swear this is not destined to be, by all the roadblocks I keep running into.

I put in my Dell 1490 today and now it's not even recognizing that the thing is there. And before that, my default wifi card stopped working. And since I've opened it and messed with it, it won't be under warranty to fix.

My OS X dreams are still alive... I'm going to proceed anyway as soon as I Ghost my XP.

12. SbM

alienmeatsack

I ended up doing my usual leap before look thing and I ran PartedMagic's Live disc on the drive. I now have a nice partition ready for OS X.

I got my Dell wifi card working finally in Win XP so I know it works now. (I had to manually extract the drivers, as it's installer was not working.)

So now that I know it works, I have my discs ready... Leaping... well, as soon as I finish the episode of Buffy I am watching.

Buffy finished. Install nearly finished. Going way smoother (knock on wood) than my Kalyway install.

And, after the first round of Kexts, I get the blue screen. Reinstalled making sure the 950 drivers were not checked, same problem. This time I am going to leave out the 950 kext and see if it works. Then go from there.

What it did do, it did well, even saw the Dell wifi card. Swellerific.

OK, leaving out the 950 kext did the trick. Now to proceed with the next steps. I'm all giddy with x-ite-mint.

13. SbM

alienmeatsack

Hello again. This time from OS X on my Aspire One.

I've not tried the 10.5.5 update yet... but thinking maybe I will. I wish there was a way in OS X to do a restore point like Win XP.

14. SbM

alienmeatsack

Woot!
    [​IMG]

Thinking I will try 10.5.5 tomorrow. Enjoy this for now in a working state.

15. SbM

alienmeatsack

So I guess Bonjour is not working? Because I can't see anything broadcasting or broadcast to anything. :/ I was going to use it to enjoy some iTunes off my main machine but I guess not.

Night all, thanks for the thread, seriously... I got things done. Friday, I only destructed things. tonight, I built things. Good times.

16. SbM

SbM

I got trouble with Bonjour as well, as noted towards the end of my how-to. Don't know how to solve this yet.

Glad you finally managed to install Mac OS X on your One ;)

SbM, Sep 16, 2008
  17. SbM

alienmeatsack

I don't really know what all teh details are of the installer and such that makes it work on non-Apple platforms... but if Bonjour works on fine on Windows, I don't why why it won't on the hackintosh machines too. I will have to do some digging and see what I can figure out. :D

Now if I can get this thing to see my Time Capsule, I can backup and try 10.5.5.

18. SbM

dfiore

The reason bonjour doesnt work is the ethernet driver. If you do not install the driver for the ethernet, and use a airport supported card (read dell 1390,1490, ect.. broadcom) bonjour will work fine.

as i know most people will use this machine for wireless i think leaving off that driver is a small caveat im willing to deal with.

dave

dfiore, Sep 16, 2008
  19. SbM

SbM

Tried to take the ethernet driver out, but didn't work either... Well I think I'll try replacing the One's IONetworkingFamily.kext with my Mini's (supposedly genuine), I'll see if it works.

SbM, Sep 16, 2008
  20. SbM

dfiore

SbM,

I can confirm that using the clean kext will work.

Also there are other ethernet drivers out there that may work with bonjour, namely the new pystar one that was just released. (not sure if i want to use anything the produce thou).

Dave

dfiore, Sep 16, 2008
Ask a Question