iATKOS v4i install and issues

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SbM, Aug 18, 2008.

1. SbM

SbM

Well something else must be wrong in my system, 'coz replacing IONetworkingFamily.kext didn't solve the Bonjour issue... Damn...

SbM, Sep 16, 2008
  2. SbM

alienmeatsack

I have the ethernet driver for the physical ethernet installed. I've not tried it but it's there. I also have the wifi card in (Dell 1490) and it's working 100%... That is how I was connected here last night, but no Bonjour love for me. I assume that this is why my TimeCapsule does not show up. If I can get that working, I can do a backup and then try 10.5.5. I guess I could bring it to work and connect it to my external here for a TimeMachine backup instead. I have no drive space at home left to do it thought, except the TC.

I was unable to get Quartz Extreme working and stuff like PhotoBooth fails to run as a result. I tried installing the kext's twice. Any other suggestions?

Ultimately, it does what I'd need on the road... email and web. And that is what is important. But the rest is more "I want this!" stuff, ya know... Fun stuff. :D

I've not yet tried booting back into Windows, not sure how. I was going to bring it with me to work but I knew I'd spend all day messing with it instead of doing work.

alienmeatsack, Sep 16, 2008
  3. SbM

dfiore

SbM,

Im not sure if any other kexts are modded with the driver. If you do a clean install dont put on the wired nic driver, and all should be well.

dave

dfiore, Sep 16, 2008
  4. SbM

SbM

Yep, I think I'm gonna backup my current setup and reinstall from scratch... Too many things to do today, though, I'll try this later... Thanks for pointing me to the ethernet driver for a possible culprit, btw.

SbM, Sep 16, 2008
  5. SbM

dfiore

not a problem. as a note, you may want to think about not using speed step when you reinstall, ive noticed its much more stable, and the battery life appears to be the same.

I too am going to be doing a full backup and have a go at somethings. im currently triple booting on MBR, using grub and chameleon, but chameleon defaults to windows so its not quite the setup i want. Im going to have a go at GUID triple boot. hope to have a guide to go along with this by the time im done.

dave

dfiore, Sep 16, 2008
  6. SbM

SbM

Hell, if it doesn't change anything to the battery life, I'll stick with the vanilla kernel I guess. Thanks for the info.

SbM, Sep 16, 2008
  7. SbM

alienmeatsack

Have you done any kind of formal battery life testing with and without speedstep installed? If it does nothing for me, or little, I'd rather remove it than have it in place.

I was considering doing some battery life tests, but was not sure what things to use that could be used by everyone else... I considered making some kind of applescript or automator script that goes thru a set of steps that simulate regular use and repeat, noting counts of cycles thru the script. Does anyone know if automator or applescript can read the battery info to add to a log of it's activity?

I tend to get around 2.5-3 hours out of my fully charged battery during my use, but it's been lots of installing and copying over the network so I am not sure how much time I'd get otherwise.

I'd also like to try playing a movie like LOTR that I know is several hours long via DVD vs playing the rip to see how the battery life is affected.

alienmeatsack, Sep 16, 2008
  8. SbM

SbM

You'll find a topic here with a simple test of battery life I've done with SpeedStep on, simply letting the machine sit idle until battery dies. Since it goes down to 800MHz when idle, that would let us find out if there's a major impact to having it run permanently at 1600MHz.

SbM, Sep 16, 2008
  9. SbM

dfiore

w/ speedstep = 2:22 mins
    w/o speedstep = 2:18 mins

these are fully informal tests, doing light browsing, using netnewswire, with xrg running the whole time

dfiore, Sep 16, 2008
  10. SbM

robotmaker

I got mac on my mew Aspire One( thanks!!!), but one things been bugging me. Is there a fix to make windows stop at the dock? im so sick of the dock covering windows

robotmaker, Sep 16, 2008
  11. SbM

alienmeatsack

Re: Dock, go right-click on the dock on the right between the Applications folder/Documents/Trash and the rest of the dock and tell it to turn Hiding to on.
    [​IMG]

Re: my install. Tonight, when I booted it up, it had forgotten all my safari bookmarks, cookies, etc. And was acting wonky. I guess a reinstall is on order. And maybe I can fix the graphics thing too while at it. And the sleep thing where the fan runs and runs.

Its a labor of love I keep telling myself.

alienmeatsack, Sep 17, 2008
  12. SbM

notoffred

Hello all,

Great guide. I'm just having a little trouble with the first part. I'm trying to use an external flash drive (8gb) as my installation drive. I've got it imaged with the installer and I'm using OSX86Tools to install the EFI, but I think the app has been updated recently or something. I can choose either the drive or the partition to install the EFI (and i've tried both). The AAO recognizes the drive, but when I go to boot from it, I get a black screen with a blinking cursor on the top left. I've left it like this for over 20 minutes with no change. Is there something i'm doing wrong?

notoffred, Sep 17, 2008
  13. SbM

robotmaker

One more thing, if I shutdown using the mac icon on the menu bar, the ON light still stays on. HELP?

robotmaker, Sep 17, 2008
  14. SbM

alienmeatsack

So any idea on how to get the Quartz Extreme stuff working? When I tried installing the Intel 950 kext, I got blue screens after reboot both times.

I still don't have my Bonjour working either. But that's not a huge deal.

I just need the fan to stop running when it's shut down... and for it to not act like I've not setup things when I start it up.

I wish Apple would just make a proper installer for OSX on other machines. I'd pay for it even if it was more than the Mac hardware installers. Just to avoid all the problems. Even though I do get a kick out of this hack slash debug repeat stuff, it gets old after a while.

15. SbM

alienmeatsack

For those who want to try 10.5.5 update, and you get a Kernel Panic, try removing:
    > System/Library/Extensions folder/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

(via terminal, in Volumes/YourHDD's name)

This is supposed to help. I read it on 2 other forums relating to OS X on alternative machines relating to the 10.5.5 update.

And then you will most likely have to reinstall the graphics drivers again as well. The package I found contained the usual stuff found in Paul's files, but also contained a 3rd that I don't remember being installed unless it was installed by OSX and not Pauls kexts...

Code:
    AppleIntelGMA950.kext
    LaptopDisplay.kext
    AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
    Since I think I am going to have to reinstall again to get my XP to boot too, I maye try the 10.5.5 update first to see if this stuff works on the AAO and report back.

16. SbM

robotmaker

iAtkos install issues

I just got and installed mac 10.5.4 with iatkos, but a few issues are bugging me. 1) is there a way to fix the shutdown thing where, when i shutdown, it has a black screen, but the power light is on, and 2) apps like photobooth show thru the dock and, even if i hide the dock, i still cant see the bottom of photobooth. HELP?

robotmaker, Sep 17, 2008
  17. SbM

dfiore

Re: iAtkos install issues

robotmaker,

please read through the forums, both of these questions have already been addressed.

1. depends on what kernel, speedstep or no speedstep (read the iAtkos guide near the beginning for speedstep)
    2. artguiscale

dfiore, Sep 17, 2008
  18. SbM

alienmeatsack

I did a reinstall tonight and I noticed that my Shared drives showed up just fine until I did Paul's kexts. I don't know which of them stopped it. but it was fine before then. I also tried installing his realtek kext thinking maybe that would do it, no go.

And the repairs I had windows do hosed everything, so I had to reformat to get anything to install, so I got OS X on there now. And I don't see BootCamp Assistant installed, which is how I was going to try to instal XP this time. :/

alienmeatsack, Sep 18, 2008
  19. SbM

dfiore

the realtek driver is the reason for no bonjour

and bootcamp does not work with hack macs.

to dual boot do this:
    boot leopard instal dvd, partition drive as mbr with 2 partitions do not install leopard
    boot xp and install to first partition
    boot leopard install dvd install to second partition picking the mbr options.

done

dfiore, Sep 18, 2008
  20. SbM

alienmeatsack

Crap. Well, I gues I get to install it again... I had 2 partitions and did it to 1 so BootCamp could do all that part.

What do you mean by picking the MBR options? Sorry if its a silly question, I jsut want to makes ure I do it right.

alienmeatsack, Sep 18, 2008
Ask a Question