iATKOS v4i install and issues

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by SbM, Aug 18, 2008.

1. SbM

dfiore

master boot record, rather then guid. its the type of partitioning used on the hd. windows xp does not work on guid (vista 64 and xp64 do however).

dave

dfiore, Sep 18, 2008
  2. SbM

Murgatroid

In Disk Utility, when you go to create a new partition scheme, there is an "Options" button. Click that and select MBR style of partitioning.

-steve

Murgatroid, Sep 18, 2008
  3. SbM

alienmeatsack

I've given up for now. OS X is not quite as functional and reliable as I ned it to be as my primary OS on the AAO, and I cannot for the life of me get dual-booting working. And to top it off, I've reset/rebooted/reinstalled so many times that it actually bricked my AAO tonight. Thank gawd the bios reflash fixed it. So Ia m putting back WinXP for now and will suffer with it. I know OS X is damn close and will keep watching until the few remaining issues are fixed and then go full on.

It sucks, but I just cannot trust it for now. Man it was sweet while it lasted. Maybe it's time I get an actual MacBook too.

alienmeatsack, Sep 19, 2008
  4. SbM

zakfontaine

Has anyone had a problem with the battery indicator not coming up? I installed this on another One, and had no problems. I did the same thing as last time, and now I can't get the battery meter to show up. Any ideas? I'll try a reinstall when I get time.

zakfontaine, Sep 19, 2008
  5. SbM

zakfontaine

Whoops...Just had to leave the power cord unplugged for a little while to get it to pop up...weird.. It's all working now. I'd like to add another nod for the DW 1490 Worked oob with no problems what so ever. I'm loving the 6 cell..

zakfontaine, Sep 19, 2008
  6. SbM

SbM

Could you be more specific, please? I've had no problem with it in terms of functionality or reliability.

SbM, Sep 20, 2008
  7. SbM

alienmeatsack

I had problems with it forgetting settings, crashing, locking up, not to mention the fact that I had to install it over and over to get certain things working.

It's darn close to useable for me but just not quite there. I can't give up my XP (which I hate) for it just yet and I could not for the life of me get the dual boot working.

If someone wants to setup a 120HDD with OSX and XP dual boot and image it for me to install with Ghost, I'll giveit a whirl again.

My last round of installs and dual boot trials bricked it completely, which was the final straw. Dont get me wrong, it rocked, it just isnt stable enough yet forme. But its damn close.

alienmeatsack, Sep 20, 2008
  8. SbM

SbM

Sorry to hear that. I've had none of those problems here, only hangs on shutdown and of course no sleep/wake-up.

SbM, Sep 20, 2008
  9. SbM

alienmeatsack

It's not your fault, actually thanks to your guide I was able to experience the pleasure of OS X on a non-Mac laptop! So you gave me a good thing. I just need to wait till the next big rev comes out of iATKOS and try again.

Like I said, it was fun while it lasted!

alienmeatsack, Sep 20, 2008
  10. SbM

violajack

This weekend's project - install OSX! Well, actually, it was last weekend's project, but I couldn't get my USB stick to boot. To everyone else having this problem - you're not the only one, and I have no idea how to fix it. This weekend, I went out and got a shiny new external DVD burner.

Now, on to the big thank yous. This guide is great. It was a very painless and straightforward install once I got it going. I really appreciate the time everyone has taken to sort out all of the issues and post nice easy fixes.

Some quirks that will hopefully help anyone having a hard time getting an external DVD to boot - the only way I could get mine to show up in the boot list was to turn the machine on with nothing plugged in, then plug in only the DVD player, wait for it to show up, then reboot and press F12. Booting to Linpus with the DVD player plugged in resulted in the "failed to initialize HAL" error and it wouldn't see the drive or my SD card. Booting without letting Linpus see it first resulted in it not showing up. Booting with the DVD drive and the external USB hard drive in resulted in only seeing the hard drive. Same with a USB stick. The DVD drive had to be plugged into a running Linpus and then the machine rebooted with only the DVD player plugged in.

I have a Dell 1390 on the way from ebay, and I'm still trying to decide on which hard drive to spring for. OSX is currently running on a USB hard drive and Linpus lives unharmed on the SSD. This little guy makes a really nice OSX box. I may have even convinced my husband that all of this tinkering with mini machines is worthwhile!

ETA: I tried all the updates just to see what would happen. Everything but the 10.5.5 is safe. I also have iLife 08 with all of its updates. I did everything one at a time to see if each would work. I saved 10.5.5 for the last, and it kernel panicked at about 15%. Rebooting resulted in a kernel panic long before the login screen.

violajack, Sep 21, 2008
  11. SbM

alienmeatsack

FWIW, my LiteOn external showed up every time without any problems. Actually the only problems I had were due to the way the installers/hardware on the AAO held discs. I sometimes had to plug it into my real Mac to eject a disc when it was done. Otherwise, the drive worked fine. :)

alienmeatsack, Sep 21, 2008
  12. SbM

johnwillo

Thanks for the wonderful tutorial. I used this and zakfontaine's dual-booting guide to get Windows XP and OS X dual booting, and it is GREAT! The two times that I rebooted into OS X (before getting to the step where the new kexts are installed) the keyboard wasn't recognized, but when I tried again with the -v parameter it was recognized and has worked ever since. Other than that, everything was smooth as silk. Thanks again!

johnwillo, Sep 22, 2008
  13. SbM

offyoutoddle

As other people have said, thanks for the tutorial. Using the resources of this forum I have:

upgraded ram to 1.5gb
    dual booted vista and osx86
    added 1390 dell card to get airport working

So I have taken a lot and wanted to give something.

I have seen many comments that the shared network folder is not working, as a result of bonjour being screwed up. I have found a workaround for this, which works on airport or ethernet for my setup, hopefully this might help someone else. I have created a script to reload bonjour services as below:

sudo launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist
    sudo launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder.plist

run the commands manually, or pop them in a script like I did. It will obviously ask for your password, but I'm hoping it will do for you what it did for me - force bonjour to work. This is important to me so that my timemachine backups work properly, and my aebs drive shares, and screen sharing.

My only remaining problem is sleep like so many others. I wish that one could be fixed!

offyoutoddle, Sep 28, 2008
  14. SbM

SbM

Thx for the Bonjour fix, that'll be helpful.

SbM, Sep 28, 2008
  15. SbM

Guest Guest

hey guys I was just wondering if AIRPORT WIRELESS CARD FOR MAC PRO from microcenter(http://microcenter.com/single_product_r ... id=0280939) would work with my aspire one to enable wireless on the osx86 I am running.

If that is not viable I have been thinking about a Dell Truemobile 1500 Wireless MINI card Pulled from a Dell Inspiron 6400 laptop.

Please comment on the viability of both these options and which one, if either that I should choose.

Thanks a bunch guys, I really am starting to like the community that has sprung up around this awesome little machine

Guest, Sep 28, 2008
  16. SbM

SbM

It happened here as well, but Bonjour functionality came back after I installed the audio driver (I think). I haven't installed any Realtek driver though, since someone here said it broke Bonjour functionality as well. This whole issue remains a bit mysterious.

SbM, Sep 29, 2008
  17. SbM

4saken

any news on the sleeping issue? I was just wondering what could cause the problem...
    I assume the bios is not passing the acpi commands correctly?

4saken, Sep 29, 2008
  18. SbM

dfiore

sleep is broken due to a driver, not sure if its audio / network or video. I have been testing a vanilla install with additional drivers (except battery) and i am able to sleep the machine and wake it properly. With no graphics drivers the screen will still display the last video images that you had on it, but mouse is gone as well as network, thus you know its asleep. I hope to soon have it working and when i do, this forum will be the first to know.

dave

dfiore, Sep 30, 2008
  19. SbM

SbM

Incredible findings, dave! Keep up the good work and let us know as soon as you find a solution.

SbM, Sep 30, 2008
  20. SbM

fletch33

from my findings on my Eec 1000h and the MSI Wind it has always been 100% related to which kernel i choose. i had to decide between sleep or speed step.

fletch33, Sep 30, 2008
Ask a Question