iAtkos v5 10.5.5 install guide including 10.5.6 update

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by diablonet, Dec 6, 2008.

1. diablonet

J.A

J.A, Jan 7, 2009
  2. diablonet

MotoX

Cool it works. But it only works if I have the card in on startup which kinda defeats the purpose. Does it work on-the-fly for any of you?

MotoX, Jan 8, 2009
  3. diablonet

stretchp

WOW, awesome guide. Used this to do 2 AAO's......both work perfect.

thanks!

stretchp, Jan 11, 2009
  4. diablonet

chalz

I'm running into an issue while installing:

(Disk is fine, I checked it a couple times, and burned two copies and tested both)

When inserted I am given the option to "start Darwin/x86 with no options" or "Type -v and press Enter to start up with diagnostic messages."

Starting with no options obviously does not work
    I typed -v and hit enter.

Upon loading, things start to go fine, but there are some problems, and I'm listing a few:

ATA Disk: Checksum Cookie not valid
    localhost kextd{47}: can't add repository (not a directory)
    localhost kextd{47}: Root filesystem is read-only: skipping kernel link data generation
    localhost kextd{47}: Launched version 5.0 (v514)
    Unable to mount /dev/disk0s1 (status code __________) <--- can't catch the status code it throws here.

It starts, then fails I see this and a few other things after it:
    error: server_shutdown bootstrap_register: Service name already exists
    ...as well as a few other error messages.

At any rate, it always seems like it's about to get to that, "Click the button to Continue" step, but fails just before.

I'm lost...I have seen nothing like this at all in any of the install guides. Does anyone have any suggestions?

BTW: I'm running an A110w with the 8gb SSD. (Yes, I know it's slow)

chalz, Jan 11, 2009
  5. diablonet

anvil

anvil, Jan 11, 2009
  6. diablonet

stonerolling

What is multitouch????????

I have a problem with my external monitor. While I was using the extend display everything was working fine but when I choose mirror display I couldn't anymore to see correct desktop on either of them. So, I can't switch to extended display anymore 'cos I can't find shortcut keys for that.

Anvil your post in the parallel iAtkos guide about package enabling external video support can solve my problem?

stonerolling, Jan 11, 2009
  7. diablonet

chalz

Not to be a jerk or anything, because I really do appreciate the work people have put into all of the different install guides, as well as the kernels and kexts, but it would seem that there are a lot of people with a fair amount of knowledge who tend to ignore questions just because they're too simple. Perhaps it's because I come from a good-natured car forum where everyone answers questions whether they're simple or not, but that just seems odd to me.

So, to clarify my question in hopes that a pro (or anyone who might have an answer) might be able to advise me:

On an A110w, I formatted the drive to HFS+ using a GParted live USB. The general error I seem to be continuously getting is that the drive is (no matter how or how much I format it) is write-protected. My question is, how do I go about changing that? I tried logging in as a single user (-v), and still nothing. I tried quite a few other things I found in my 2 hours of searching, as well as 2 other burns of the .iso file...nothing seemed to work. I've got Win-7b installed right now and it works just fine with 1.5gb ram, but the 1490 will be here in a couple of days, and I'd love to sort this out by then.

Anway...I guess that's my only real question...why is my AAO so damned insistent upon being write-protected? :lol: Or is iAtkos v5 and this guide just not compatible with the AAO?

chalz, Jan 12, 2009
  8. diablonet

SbM

Well maybe that's because noone else ever encountered those problems you have.

For a start, I've never seen this : "When inserted I am given the option to "start Darwin/x86 with no options" or "Type -v and press Enter to start up with diagnostic messages.""

When exactly do you get those messages ?

And then you say : "On an A110w, I formatted the drive to HFS+ using a GParted live USB."

Why don't you format it from the iATKOS installer ? Choose Utilities > Disk Utility and you can format your disk from there.

SbM, Jan 12, 2009
  9. diablonet

pink

Well, I'm probably out of date, but last time I looked 'most all Linux could not write to HFS+ disks
    so it would make a little sense for GParted to format it Read-only (yeah, don't ask, how, why :?:

'Most every OSX distro, after the bootloader can go direct, or via the OS-X Installer,
    to DiskUtility.app which allows you to format all the Apple approved fashions.

pink, Jan 13, 2009
  10. diablonet

chalz

I formatted it with Gparted because I never got to the iATKOS installer. The computer runs the disk, boots, looks like it is trying to bring up OSX info, then turns itself off. When don't press "F8" when it gives the option, the first Apple screen loads and "thinks" for a while. A few minutes later the OSX background comes up and I get a spinning beach-ball for a while. After a few minutes have passed, the system simply shuts down, and I never am given an option to do anything.

I get the "Start Darwin..." stuff if I push "F8" as the disk is loading...this is something I tried after 5 or 6 times of not touching it during the install. At that point I have tried inputing "-s" on the suggestion of a friend. He said it would try the install in single-user mode, and he thought that might overcome the "Write Protected" issue that I was seeing in Darwin.

Unfortunately I can't ever get to the bootloader/past the bootloader. I couldn't figure out why, and thought it could have needed a re-format. I don't know...at this point it's one of three things:

1. The distro .iso I downloaded was bad from the source
    2. I've gotten 4 bad DVD burns, all of which checked out during the disc check
    3. I am 100% completely retarded because somehow I'm screwing something up between the time I put the DVD in the drive and hit the power button on the AAO.

At this point, I can only assume it is #1, as there is nothing hard about inserting a disc and pushing the power button once you have the .iso burned...and that's all you need to do to get past the bootloader as per all guides I have seen. Does anybody know of a way to verify a distro?

chalz, Jan 13, 2009
  11. diablonet

SbM

Check the MD5 signature.

SbM, Jan 13, 2009
  12. diablonet

chalz

Well, cheksum on the DVD I have here with me now is bad...I'm guessing the same goes for the other DVD's. I'll have to check the actual file when I get back home. At this point I can only assume the file is bad as well. For future reference, is there a way to verify a file before acquiring said file?

chalz, Jan 13, 2009
  13. diablonet

SbM

I've now installed Mac OS X 10.5.6 on my One, following this excellent guide. My own 10.5.4 guide is now to be considered obsolete. Don't use it any longer.

Kudos to diablonet for his fantastic work, and to the developpers of the voodoo kernel for the increased overall speed ;)

On a personal note, compared to 10.5.4, I'm very happy to see that Mac OS X now autodetects when you plug your headphones in, and that zeroconf connectivity works flawlessly.

Here are a few changes I've made :
    - Instead of installing Insomnia, I downloaded and installed DoNotSleep.mpkg (http://semaja2.net/insomniax/DoNotSleep.mpkg.tgz). It's basically a stripped-down version of Insomnia, which only installs the required .kext and script needed to prevent the One from going to sleep when you close the lid.
    - To prevent the One from crashing on shutdown, I make it play a boot sound when it starts. To do so, I downloaded and installed PlaySound (http://microcosmsoftware.com/playsound/) in my /Applications folder along with a Dreamcast boot sound I found on the net (http://titan08.free.fr/Boot Sounds/). I made sure the sound file's default app was actually PlaySound (check the "Open with" setting in its Information window), and added it to the Startup items in my Account prefpane.
    - I installed the SD-card driver (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/osxsdh ... g_mirror=0) and it works real fine. Only limitation is that the card must be inserted before you boot the machine, or else it won't see it. Both card-readers (left-hand and right-hand) work (only tested with a 128 MB and a 512 MB card, though).

About Apple Software Updates :
    - Quicktime 7.5.5 is safe to install
    - iTunes 8.0.2 is safe to install
    - Mise à jour 2 de Java pour Mac OS X 10.5 (1.0) is safe to install (must be something like "Java Update 2 for Mac OS X 10.5 (1.0)" in English, please confirm)
    - Mise à jour de compatibilité QuickTime H.264 (7.5.5) is safe to install (must be something like "Quicktime H.264 Compatibility Update (7.5.5)" in English, please confirm)
    - Mise à jour de Front Row 2.1.6 is safe to install (must be something like "Front Row Update 2.1.6" in English, please confirm)
    - Safari 3.2.1 is safe to install

SbM, Jan 14, 2009
  14. diablonet

diablonet

Thanks for you help SbM, I am sure it will help to all us :D

diablonet, Jan 14, 2009
  15. diablonet

diablonet

I havent tried the Flashcard driver, it is on realease candidate 1, what type of memory does it read? on the first phase only SD was working... but dont know now

diablonet, Jan 14, 2009
  16. diablonet

stonerolling

stonerolling, Jan 14, 2009
  17. diablonet

SbM

OK, this doesn't work actually, because the audio circuitry needs to be "woken up" just before shutdown. If you wake it up at boot time, it will go back to sleep afterwards and your One will crash on shutdown. Alas, there is no "Shutdown Items" panel in the Accounts prefpane, so we need to write a StartupItems script that'll go into /Library/StartupItems. In such a script, you can tell the system to perform whatever actions you want on startup, on shutdown or/and when you restart the computer. So all we need is a simple script like this one, called "ShutdownSound" :

Code:
    #!/bin/sh

. /etc/rc.common

StopService ()
    {
    	open -a /Library/StartupItems/ShutdownSound/Play\ Sound.app /Library/StartupItems/ShutdownSound/ShutdownSound.wav
    	sleep 8
    }

RunService "$1"

Along with a description file called "StartupParameters.plist":

Code:
    {
    Description = "Plays a sound to prevent the Aspire One from crashing on shutdown";
    Provides = ("ShutdownSound");
    }

I made a .zip file containing all you need to install this workaround on your One (including a shutdown "sound" with nothing but 8 seconds of silence - grew tired of the Dreamcast sound ;)). Download it, unzip it, and drag the whole "ShutdownSound" folder to /Library/StartupItems. Reboot your One, and everything should be fine. Please tell me if it doesn't work for you and you still get crashes. The .zip archive is there : http://dl.free.fr/qfXbFUsXj

SbM, Jan 14, 2009
  18. diablonet

chalz

Well crap...I can't get the keyboard and touchpad to work for the life of me. I might just reinstall and try again, hopefully if I did something wrong, I'll do it right the second time around.

Also...couldn't get audio or wireless to work either. :lol: Fun times...here it goes again.

EDIT: What I find odd as hell is that the touchpad works in the bootloader, but not in the actual OS once it's been installed... :|

chalz, Jan 14, 2009
  19. diablonet

rickrodrix

Does anybody knows the steps to update to 10.5.6 with Kalyway? Please!!!

rickrodrix, Jan 14, 2009
  20. diablonet

SbM

Did you perform step 30 correctly ?

If you're running on batteries, audio won't work unless you "wake it up" by playing some sound file or fiddling with the volume up/down keys for 3/4 seconds. About wireless, did you change the wifi card inside your One?

SbM, Jan 14, 2009
Ask a Question