iAtkos v5i Install and Issues Full guide Now With 10.5.6

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by rory, Dec 4, 2008.

1. rory

overthis

I get an Install error .. Here's part of the log file.

Dec 18 17:28:26 localhost OSInstaller[120]: Mac OS X Installer application started
    Dec 18 17:28:26 localhost OSInstaller[120]: 1 display(s) found.
    Dec 18 17:28:26 localhost OSInstaller[120]: Display[1] is NOT using OpenGL acceleration.
    Dec 18 17:28:26 localhost OSInstaller[120]: @(#)PROGRAM:Install PROJECT:Install-374
    Dec 18 17:28:26 localhost OSInstaller[120]: @(#)PROGRAM:Mac OS X Installer PROJECT:OSInstaller-88
    Dec 18 17:28:26 localhost OSInstaller[120]: Hardware: AOA110 @ 1.60 GHz (x 2), 1536 MB RAM
    Dec 18 17:28:26 localhost OSInstaller[120]: Running OS Build: Mac OS X 10.5 (9A581)
    Dec 18 17:28:26 localhost OSInstaller[120]: Env: DYLD_NO_FIX_PREBINDING=1
    Dec 18 17:28:26 localhost OSInstaller[120]: Env: PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin
    Dec 18 17:28:26 localhost OSInstaller[120]: Env: PWD=/
    Dec 18 17:28:26 localhost OSInstaller[120]: Env: SHLVL=1
    Dec 18 17:28:26 localhost OSInstaller[120]: Env: OS_INSTALL=1
    Dec 18 17:28:26 localhost OSInstaller[120]: Env: _=/System/Installation/CDIS/LCA.app/Contents/MacOS/LCA
    Dec 18 17:28:33 localhost OSInstaller[120]: Opening OSInstall package '/System/Installation/Packages/OSInstall.mpkg'.
    Dec 18 17:29:28 localhost ReportCrash[122]: Could not save crash report to disk!

overthis, Dec 20, 2008
  2. rory

aphrony

ok, i would just like to say, "rory, you are the most awesome awesomeness that has ever awesomed!"

I got my AAO a week or so again, and i was worried about the limitations of the machine. i always wanted to instal osx on it, but didn't think it would work. then a few days ago i felt like googleing it and to my wonder i stumbled on this wonderful site, and your wonderful guide! all i need to do is wait for a friend of mine to get back from school and borrow his external DVD drive, and hopefully all will go smoothly. thanks! =)

aphrony, Dec 20, 2008
  3. rory

quantum leap

Hi, everything went well on the OS X 10.5.6 install but as soon I installed the speedstep feature from iAtkos_v4 a severe problem arose.

OS X crashes as soon I try to install something from .dmg image file. It crashes on "Mounting..." text. I think this is due to the speedstep feature. I installed it in the first to place to get rid of the damn fan noise this thing has.

Regards and thanks for your efforts.

Edit: I have tried the permissions repair on the volume. It didn't help.

quantum leap, Dec 20, 2008
  4. rory

rory

Needs a seatbelt.kext that matches with the kernel.
    Search around for speedstep seatbelt.kext im sure youll find something
    Rory

rory, Dec 20, 2008
  5. rory

blueillusion

Re: iAtkos v5i Install and Issues Full guide now complete

To rory or xilocex, when you did this, did you read the description during the iatkos v4i installer?
    The description on speedstep says: Support for CPU Throttling on Intel CPU. This package includes 0.2.- speedstep kernel, ACPICPUThrottle.kext s8 by prasys, speedstep control aplication by tuxx. Dont select speedstepping support if you've selected a kernel, otherwise you will get kernel panic.

Does this suggest that our current kernel (9.6 in my case since im using vanilla 10.5.6) will be replaced with 9.2 in order to get speedstepping working?
    The file size of the driver is 5.6 meg, which looks about the size of each kernel. Im hesitent to try this out.

blueillusion, Dec 20, 2008
  6. rory

quantum leap

I can't find the 10.5.5 Seatbelt.kext. Unfortunately I didn't back it up when I upgraded to 10.5.6. How do I extract the file from iAtkos_v5 dvd? I'm a newbie using OS X.

7. rory

aretx

Hey, if this is util for you : I delete it and after a lot of hours nothing special noticed, only that you can mount dmg files with no kernel panics

Cheers

aretx, Dec 20, 2008
  8. rory

rory

you need to use pacifist to extract the pkg files into individual files. a search on insanelymac will be fruitful
    ill have a look and report back, i might even find the kext. its probably easier to extract them from a 10.5.5 delta update which you can possibly
    still download from apple.
    Rory

rory, Dec 20, 2008
  9. rory

quantum leap

10. rory

EnderWiggin

Wow- Excellent Guide! I was able to get OS X installed using a combination of techniques from this forum, and others on InsanelyMac to install from an 8GB memory stick- as the Aspire One does not like my ancient old HP DVD Writer200e as a boot device...

Anyway- everything seems to be in order except for external monitor support. I tried lots of different things, eventually ending up with lots of of vertical lines changing in the background over a perfectly rendered mouse pointer! Nothing I try seems to be able to correct this. If I recall, the last thing I tried to get full-resolution on an external monitor was to select some option somewhere called "Mirror Display"... I really didn't think it would work- but I had tried everything else... then both screeens turned into garbage with a mouse pointer. When i disconnect the VGA cable, the laptop screen returns to normal. but as soon as I reconnect the VGA cable, both screens go back to the vertical lines. Quite odd... Has anyone else had this problem?

EnderWiggin, Dec 21, 2008
  11. rory

rbo

yeah i have the exact same problems as you with external screens

right down to the perfect pointer over garbled desktops across both screens!! :(

help!

rbo, Dec 21, 2008
  12. rory

EnderWiggin

After getting some TERRIBLE advice from another forum- involving trashing files from from the DisplayProfilePane (or something like that...) I ended up with no Display properties in the System Configuration Panel... even after restoring, there was no option. I ended up reinstalling the OS. Now, I can see the external display, but only as an extension of the laptop display- not as a replacement. Acer put some clever logic in the Windows XP drivers that allowed the external display to operate at full resolution out-of-the-box; just by hitting the FN-F5 keys... I guess I was looking for the same thing here. I realize Acer never intended this little guy would be running MacOS- but I am hoping that someone has figured out a way to to easily switch between the internal/external screens using the full-native resoultions of each...

13. rory

blueillusion

Regarding Speedstep,

If you use the method in this article, you WILL downgrade to kernel 9.2 from 9.6 (or 9.5 if you use voodoo or 10.5.5)
    It also seems that speedstep doesnt lower the fanspeed either. On a plus side, installing seatbelt.kext from 10.5.5 somehow oddly made my two finger scrolling work.
    Im going to restore my os x from a backup tomorrow and figure out how to get the two finger scrolling working in 10.5.6 (could just be a permission fix too).
    I guess i can live with the slightly loud fan. It's not as loud as an unpatched linux distro at least.

blueillusion, Dec 21, 2008
  14. rory

endlessnameless

I finally got osx on my HD and now I can't get it too boot! Now I get a weird boot error, when I boot it briefly says
    boot0 Done
    boot1 MBR

It says that for a second or two when I flag my windows partition as active and then it boots to xp. If I flag the osx partition, the error just sits on the screen. I have looked up and down on this forum and insanely mac. I have googled it and I still have yet to boot the os =(.

Any suggestions.

I followed the guide to a T and installed the exact customizations. I fear that that is the darwin bootloader in action and Im not sure how to change or get rid of it. I reinstalled osx again and received the same message. I am wanting to dual boot xp but I have hit a wall at this point. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

endlessnameless, Dec 21, 2008
  15. rory

rbo

yeah i was hoping to get full use out of the VGA port!
    Has anyone got it working properly? it seems to say in the guide that gfx is fully working?
    Would love to get that at 1680 x 1050 as main screen on external monitor - but would settle for using bug monitor as second screen!

EnderWiggen - Have you tried turning on the PC then closing the lid to get it to display on and external screen? this is how you would do it with a macbook!

rbo, Dec 21, 2008
  16. rory

EnderWiggin

I tried that- it's still behaving the same way. I have, however, found a workaround. While not perfect, it helps...

With both displays connected, open Display properties. Click on Arrangement, then drag the menu bar to the external display. This also moves the dock, and seems to change the display in which new application windows open. The desktop is still spread across both displays, and you can loose your mouse pointer over on the laptop display... but the external monitor is being used as the primary display. When the external monitor is disconnected, the menu bar and dock revert to the laptop display- then move back to the external monitor as soon as you reconnect it. So it kinda works- just still lack the ability to completely shut off the internal display.

17. rory

rbo

i am still on garbled screens with perfect pointers when second display is connected :(

rbo, Dec 21, 2008
  18. rory

pink

Back in the day, there was a third party extension for Macintosh called, wait for it: Clamshell
    Is the Clamshell.kext from the Wind collection s'posed to do this too? If so it might need some
    tweaking from a serious hacker to work on AAO as well.

pink, Dec 21, 2008
  19. rory

rory

The clamshell kext is for sleep. So when you close the clamshell, it puts the device to sleep.
    It's not in my kext pack because without it, the display turns off, but the device doesn't try and fail to sleep.
    So, yeah having the kext will probably fix the extended display thing, but at the same time, it will probably make the device freeze every time...
    Rory

rory, Dec 21, 2008
  20. rory

aspiretobeone

startup freezes

so i downloaded update

then did the kext helper for gma and battery and ps2

rebooted

apple thing spins until paused. . .

i don't why this happened. . . anyway, I'll have to reinstall again arghh

perhaps i was supposed install ps2 kext after everything else is installed.

arghhh

aspiretobeone, Dec 22, 2008
Ask a Question