iAtkos v5i Install and Issues Full guide Now With 10.5.6

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by rory, Dec 4, 2008.

1. rory

overthis

what brand/model of 8G memory stick did you use? I wonder if all the troubles I've been having are DVD drive related ... I would love to narrow down my install problems ...

overthis, Dec 22, 2008
  2. rory

EnderWiggin

I used an el cheapo SanDisk cruzer I picked up from wally world. The process is beyond this thread- and it isn't as easy as you might think... but if you want to try installing from USB Stick, check out this thread. It details using an application to install from an HD partition- but it works for USB stick as well... http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=110388 There was another thread somewhere that dealt more with using this application with a USB stick... but I can't find it now. If you are serious about trying this; you may have more luck finding that thread or others like it. But having done it- I can say that if you have access to a DVD drive that can boot the Aspire One...USE IT!

Good Luck!

EnderWiggin, Dec 22, 2008
  3. rory

cook

Thank you for explain to how install and costumize to iatkos v5i to acer one a150. Customization is so imtortant :mrgreen:

cook, Dec 22, 2008
  4. rory

endlessnameless

SHould I flag my osx partition as a primary drive instead of logical? Does that matter?

Thanks in advance

endlessnameless, Dec 22, 2008
  5. rory

LunaTech

i have a small problem, my usb works if i pplug it in when i start the computer but when you plug while the computer is on, it wont detech it. does anyone experience this? is there any solutions? thanks a bunch!!!

LunaTech, Dec 23, 2008
  6. rory

rory

need seatbelt.kext matching your kernel.
    has been covered before. im guessing youre on voodoo?
    R

rory, Dec 23, 2008
  7. rory

endlessnameless

I apologize if my posts seem redundant and stupid, but I cannot for the life of me get osx to boot. I have followed everything exactly and osx installs but nothing boots. I tried flagging the osx partition after I get the boot error and then the cursor in the upper left hand corner of the screen just keeps blinking. I have formatted and reformatted the HD. Is it possible it has something to do with NTFS? I have xp installed as I am planning to dual boot xp and osx and xp is on an ntfs partitioned disk. Could this be the source of my troubles. I eventually used xp recovery console to do a fixmbr and that seemed to help me get into xp. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. I have scoured several forums and searched the net for answers and have yet to solve my problem. Thanks in advance. Merry Xmas.

endlessnameless, Dec 24, 2008
  8. rory

rory

rory, Dec 24, 2008
  9. rory

SN271

Fantastic! Working with 10.5.6 perfectly on my 8GB SSD!!

Used an Extended partition - no journaling, disabled hibernation, "monolingual" to free up some drive space and basically everything else that Rory and the iAtkos crew has suggested. Everything went as was predicted in this thread. Read/Write isn't breathtakingly fast, but then again - this isn't a breathtakingly fast computer ;)

I'm running apps off of an external WD pocket drive and though it may be a little slower, it's definitely helping in minimizing my SSD usage/space consumption.

Keep up the amazing work everyone! Safe holidays to all!

God, I love this little computer :D

SN271, Dec 24, 2008
  10. rory

Ranger Wolf

I think my mac OS just died somehow. i'll explain what i've done to try and pinpoint a resolution

i followed this guide and installed everything up to 10.5.6 (with new kexts to get laptop keybaord and trackpad working again)
    everything was working fine until i installed final cut pro 5.0, openeded it while installing VMware. thats when i got a huge error saying to restart the computer by holding the power button. it now does this at every boot into mac.

i've snooped around the forum looking for an answer, and i tried booting in darwin with -v -f. get to loading the kernal and just freezes.

any way to fix this? also any clue what caused it?

Ranger Wolf, Dec 24, 2008
  11. rory

maltloaf

have just followed this tutorial and installed 10.5.5 on my aao 150 and all is working perfectly as described.

I have installed a mini pcie wireless card from an appleTV unit so it just worked with no messing about.

Im yet to install 10.5.6 but i think I will do that after I have checked my triple boot works fine (xp and vista)

many thanks to the op for the tutorial and the pack.

cheers,

malty

maltloaf, Dec 25, 2008
  12. rory

endlessnameless

Its a christmas miracle! I finally got mac osx to install and dual boot. Thanks to all and to rory for the guide. The only thing I did differently was enable the drive to be a primary drive....I know, a big duh. It didn't hit me until I was browsing through different tutorials. I'm at work right now so I haven't applied the updates, but I can successfully dual boot both OSX and XP.

endlessnameless, Dec 25, 2008
  13. rory

endlessnameless

Thank you so much for the guide rory, I just updated my system to 10.5.6 and everything is running and looking great. Oh and once I got home, I was able to easily connect to my wireless home network with a dell 1390 card. Its been running rather well since I've been testing it.

endlessnameless, Dec 26, 2008
  14. rory

maltloaf

i had a couple of kernel panics yesterday, they both happened when I wasnt looking though and the machine was just sat idle.

Im using the voodoo kernel - is there anything i have to do in the machines power management or something to stop the panics ?

I also need to start over because I only gave osx a measly 10GB and it's not enough, so I need to resize my ntfs partitions to give it some more (40GB I was thinking).I will take the opportunity to update to 10.5.6 when I do do it and report back

maltloaf, Dec 26, 2008
  15. rory

EnderWiggin

That brings up an interesting question- is there a software tool or procedure to resize the NTFS (widows) and the Mac OS Extended partitions without starting from scratch? That is, to preseve the Windows and Mac OS installations and still resize the partitions?

EnderWiggin, Dec 26, 2008
  16. rory

maltloaf

after lots of reading I decided that it's possible to resize ntfs partitions almost at will, but hfs+ (and especially journalled) is an entirely different matter.

After getting a virus this morning (the resycled/boot.com one thats all over the place at the moment) I have started the whole system from scratch anyway. Im going for the same triple boot os's with around 40GB for each system.

Have installed XP again using my trusty unofficial xp disc from the software/windows forum (plus the broadcom wlan drivers as i ditched the atheros card) and tomorrow will reinstall vista (dont have the dvd to hand) and then OSX (ready and waiting) - I know everything is happy in this order as thats how I did it before

maltloaf, Dec 26, 2008
  17. rory

maltloaf

has anyone successfully used the 10.5.6 update with the voodoo kernel ?

the kernel was running well for me before I burned the whole machine and started again but I hadnt updated to 10.5.6

I know I will need a usb mouse and keyboard to hand but is there anything else to watch out for ?

Im just in the process of reinstalling the whole thing now

thanks,

malty

maltloaf, Dec 28, 2008
  18. rory

aretx

Yes, it works perfect, somebody noticed some unstabilities, not me, I've noticed a lot more speed, trackpad as macosx by default, and a few things diffrent, my advice is to update,do it, is 100% better.

You can follow our itinerary in the diabolnet's open forum, in the lasts posts, you will need an usb mouse and keyboard, only these things, the rest is in these threats. (all the kexts and tools). I folllowed diablonet's guide and now I'm into 10.5.6 and voodoo, and much more happy :D than vanilla.

cheers

aretx, Dec 28, 2008
  19. rory

swm5126

Could someone post seatbelt.kext and the system.kext from 10.5.5? I'm using 10.5.6 but I would like to run the voodoo kernel, unfortunately I can't boot without the 10.5.5 kexts I think?

swm5126, Dec 29, 2008
  20. rory

J.A

Is anyone having trouble with their screen savers?
    I noticed that my screen saver never triggers not matter which one I choose or what time interval I set.

If i go into the Screen Saver setting and "Test" the screen savers, they work fine.

Any suggestions?

J.A, Dec 29, 2008
Ask a Question