iAtkos v5i Install and Issues Full guide Now With 10.5.6

Discussion in 'MacOS' started by rory, Dec 4, 2008.

1. rory

maltloaf

just tested my screensaver and it works fine.

Do you have your energy saver set to switch the display off before the screen saver kicks in maybe ?

maltloaf, Dec 29, 2008
  2. rory

Guest Guest

Whats better about voodoo? I'm running vanilla 10.5.6 and everything seems to working great except sleep..

Guest, Dec 29, 2008
  3. rory

maltloaf

well, ive broken mine again :(

installed 10.5.6 (and the rest of the updates in software updater) and it booted fine 1st time, with the ps2 keyboard and mouse, so i set about re-installing kexts. I dragged the 3 gma950 kexts and the 2 battery kexts into kexthelper, installed and rebooted and it now freezes on boot.

anyone have any ideas ? have i missed something ??

thanks,

malty

maltloaf, Dec 29, 2008
  4. rory

rory

boot with -v and see what it says when it stops

rory, Dec 29, 2008
  5. rory

maltloaf

i just did that and it stopped at the network driver realtek1000 or whatever its called.

Do i need to re-boot the installer dvd to re-install voodoo kernel cos im guessing the kernel might have been replaced with the one in the update ??

cheers for any help

maltloaf, Dec 29, 2008
  6. rory

rory

nope you need to launch in single user moe and delete the r1000 kext but its buried deep inside another ext i think, so might destroy a bunch of stuff...
    This is why I always say stay vanilla... (Says I who is about to reinstalll and go voodoo :p)
    R

rory, Dec 29, 2008
  7. rory

maltloaf

it doesnt always stop there, it sometimes stops just before when its indexing the ntfs partitions, but mostly at the realtek bit

maltloaf, Dec 29, 2008
  8. rory

J.A

I just set the energy saving options to never and set the screen saver to activate in 3mins and the Screen Saver still does not come on.
    Any other suggestions?

J.A, Dec 29, 2008
  9. rory

pink

ummmm, if it "booted fine the 1st time" why fiddle abt with the kexts? :?
    Number One Rule I have learnt in this part of the game: If it's mostly working, new improved kexts
    go in one at a time: that way I get the culprit every time.
    Your problem might be the one that loads after RTL1000. Or, since it's furiously multithreading
    by this stage, the LoginWindow.app may have crashed from conflicting graphics.
    What's showing on screen & what gets written to system-log aren't always the same,
    boot single-user mode, at the boot options enter -s and after fsck and mount do
    tail -100 /var/log/system.logIf you're still curious there might be evidence in
    /var/root/Library/Logs/ or /Library/Logs/CrashReporter
    repairing from single-user is doable, but would be much easier with a external USB drive with a
    clean system used only for recovery ...

pink, Dec 29, 2008
  10. rory

maltloaf

What do we learn if we dont 'mess about'

I meant, anyway that I had updated to 10.5.6 and started re-installing the kexts as per post # 1 on this thread as you need to to get various portions of the system up and running properly.

By booted properly the first time i meant that the system had come up to a desktop successfully, however the various required drivers were missing

In more if my messing about, im currently installing to 10.5.6 with the vanilla kernel to see for myself what the various differences are. Almost done :)

thanks for everyones help so far :)

malty

maltloaf, Dec 29, 2008
  11. rory

ahovis

Having some strange instability after updating to 10.5.6. All seems to work fine but randomly it will darken the screen from the top and display the message that the computer needs to be restarted in various languages. However the system is locked up and I have to do a force restart. Can not find any common thing I am doing when this happens. Any ideas?

ahovis, Dec 30, 2008
  12. rory

carlisle_united

Jupp thats Kernel Panic for ya...
    Happend to me aswell when I updated to 10.5.6, on a regular Mac it's usally hardware related but im guessing that is more complicated on a Hackintosh.
    However, I'm guessing your using the Vodoo kernel?

carlisle_united, Dec 30, 2008
  13. rory

ahovis

Yep. Voodoo kernal and Superhai's cpu speed kext. Did not see this on 10.5.5. Hope the new Voodoo kernel will fix it.

ahovis, Dec 30, 2008
  14. rory

starstar2301

Hello everyone (and excuse me for any mistakes in my English).

I have installed iAtkos v5i with the help of this great guide (I have an AAO 150L).
    Everything worked fine in he beginning.

But when I made a software update, the following don't work anymore:

1. Screen resolution only works as 800X600
    2. Keyboard and trackpad don't work.

...and who knows what else...

Help needed... thank you very much!

starstar2301, Jan 4, 2009
  15. rory

rory

the guide tells you what to do. it se3ems you stopped reading it at the software update step.

rory, Jan 4, 2009
  16. rory

cpellerano

Hyperthreading & Speedstep

In my Hardware overview the number of procesors =1 as well as the totalnumber of cores = 1
    I am using Voodoo 9.5 is it safe to asume that hyperthreading is not working ?

How do i check is speedstep is enabled ?

TIA

cpellerano, Jan 5, 2009
  17. rory

starstar2301

Thank you Rory very very much!
    I was obviously too lazy and too unexperienced...
    Everything works smoothly now...
    Thank you!

starstar2301, Jan 5, 2009
  18. rory

xilocex

If Speedstep is enabled you will see a current MHz indicator in your menu bar. This Mhz value will change based on your computers current workload from 800MHz up to 1600MHz.

In addition to the current MHz indicator in the menu bar you will also be able to see if your system is set to use two cores through the CPU tab in Activity Monitor. You can find Activity Monitor by selecting Go/Utilities then double clicking Activity Monitor icon from the resulting window. Once you have Activity Monitor open make sure the CPU tab is open and if you are using two cores you will have two CPU Usage bars rather then one.

Note: System Profiler will not indicate that you are using two Cores with the Intel Atom because the Intel Atom in the Aspire One does not have two cores instead it uses Hyper Threading to achieve, sort of, two core/processors performance.

xilocex, Jan 9, 2009
  19. rory

xilocex

Another thing I have noticed is that if you use Speedstep make sure to click on the menu MHz indicator and change to an appropriate custom speed when your using your Aspire One for things like streaming video or music as allowing it to run in Auto Clock mode in these cases will cause your media stream to stutter.

xilocex, Jan 9, 2009
  20. rory

starstar2301

Just a minor issue this time.

Almost every time I restart the AAO, the language preferences go back to their initial state.

I need to have Greek and British language, but instead I have U.S. so I have to fix this every time.

Thank you in advance!

starstar2301, Jan 9, 2009
Ask a Question