Ibex MMC corruption?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by jbesada, Oct 30, 2008.

1. jbesada

jbesada

As many if you know, in hardy you needed to add CONFIG_MMC_UNSAFE_RESUME=yes and recompile the kernel in order to be able to use an SD card as /home and being able to suspend without corrupting the partition table of the card.

I do not know if Hardy stock kernel has this enabled, or if I would continue to need to recompile (or use petaramesh kernels). Does anybody know that?

Thanks in advance

jbesada, Oct 30, 2008
  2. jbesada

lotus49

I have tested suspend several times with Intrepid and I have had variable results but the best is a crash that doesn't result in SDHC corruption. So, since suspend doesn't work, it's slightly beside the point whether the SDHC card is corrupted - just daren't use it at all.

Intrepid does work fairly well. In fact the only things that don't work at all for me are the wifi light and kill switch and suspend/hibernate. Sound capture on Skype is a bit choppy but otherwise everything works perfectly.

It's disappointing that so long after the release of the One we still don't have a fully working Linux distro apart from the pretty awful Linpus. I love my One, but I am rather fed up with twiddling the OS rather than actually using it.

lotus49, Oct 30, 2008
  3. jbesada

jango

So, resume works or not at interpid???

jango, Nov 14, 2008
  4. jbesada

lotus49

Certainly not for me.

I haven't tried recompiling the kernel, but with the standard current Ibex kernel, you will probably corrupt the SDHC card (and I dare say any other mounted card). Alternatively, if you are lucky, your machine might crash before this happens. What won't happen is that the machine will suspend and resume without doing any damage.

This is frustrating, but for me, Intrepid is the best compromise currently between having a good OS and having all the hardware supported properly but YMMV.

lotus49, Nov 15, 2008
  5. jbesada

blackest_knight

Is the corruption issue due to swap and /home being on the SD Card?

If Swap was on the ssd (probably along with home) I've a feeling it would work fine playing around with s2disk and s2both resulted in ubuntu partially booting and then using ctrl alt f1 pressing enter to resume. The real issue is the swap file isn't available when trying to resume. It appears the mmc devices get mounted at a later point in the boot sequence.

If Swap was on the ssd then there is a good chance that suspend and hibernate would be successful. The only problem is at what cost?
    Well we are all a bit concerned about SSD life, however even with a swap file available with 1.5gb ram its not getting used. So if it was to be used for suspend and resume it'd be a few writes a day at most. That doesn't seem too bad really
    however the loss of space is a concern, however its freed up on the sd card.

Just how much /home do we need anyway? It's probably not that much if you can use the sdcard by replacing some of the directories with Symlinks it would be fairly seamless.

Sd card corruption is nasty especially if you have important files there, however so far I haven't killed reiserFS yet. ext2 and ext3 yes (several times).

At the time of posting this I haven't tested this solution, being as I am bored I will probably try it tonight.

Considering the SDD wear issues I think in a years time there will be plenty of options for aspire one owners. 1.8 hdd's are a drop in (ok a tight squeeze) replacement for SSD drives being pin 4 pin compatible. It's not beyond hope that there will be 3rd party ssd drives with faster access and more capacity at reasonable prices. The EEE owners have a harder time of it since some or all of their SDD is soldered to the main board.

Any one tried this yet any success ?

blackest_knight, Nov 15, 2008
  6. jbesada

blackest_knight

just installed ibex without an sd card and it suspends and hibernates but there a couple of points

The default install set me up with a 300+mb swap file - its too small, so had to boot with a live cd to increase its size to about 1600mb using gparted. (i think it could be smaller).
    secondy it changed the uuid for the swap file so i had to find the new UUID and edit /etc/fstab

thirdly isn't it slow, I think thats mostly due to 7mb/sec writes. it seems to take 2-3 minutes to hibernate, and it doesn't like my bluetooth module.

so far no sd corruption using reiserfs on it

blackest_knight, Nov 16, 2008
Ask a Question