Icons moved on desktop after update

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Guest, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Guest

annafil

there's another group-app.xml file in /etc/xdg/xfce4/desktop/, check that and compare it against the working one without the liveupdates

annafil, Sep 19, 2008
  2. Guest

PeteGraham

Hi

Will do when I get home. I'm currently just starting the second hour of a 12 hour shift so am not able to get hold of either netbook. :cry:

PeteGraham, Sep 19, 2008
  3. Guest

flatboarder

Sounds very reasonable.
    I used EZmove because I was not sure whether it would take care of those posix .* files in /media/disk with FAT formatted SD card, indicating Unix file permissions for each file. With ext2 I do no longer need those, so I will stay away from using EZMove at all.

I reinstalled my system twice today (currently posting from it :) and I was bothered by the fact, that I knew, the system actually was not broken, only the desktop startup was. Nevertheless I had to reinstall, since I did not find a reasonable way to get some shell. I tried several hot keys, some certain init runlevel boots and 3 different linux live CD boots where none of them would boot up the system without failure to let me mount my partition. I did not spend any more time to search for working boot media and -since I had my homedir data on some USB stick luckywise- decided to reinstall, including lots of additional software and configuration. After first reinstall, I broke it again by restoring old .* files in my homedir using rsync with --delete option. Black it went :)
    Well, I learnt from that, and my modified backup procedure will no longer fiddle around with potentially dangerous .* files in my homedir even in case of a restore.
    System and software config has been recreated, everything works as before.
    Thanks a lot for the support!

flatboarder, Sep 19, 2008
  4. Guest

popcycleken

New to the board, to the inspire one, to Linux, so sorry if this does not come out correctly.

I received my 'one' Wednesday night and it was just great right out of the box. This morning I made the mistake of running the updater. I have exactly the icon issue that everyone here has, but also a nastier one. On some file searches now, i get an error message that is pretty dire, and includes the comment that the disk driver might be corrupt.

So it is not due to any customizations, and there may be additional issues from this update that have not been detected.

Thanks,

Ken

popcycleken, Sep 19, 2008
  5. Guest

PeteGraham

Which AAO do you have, Ken? Is it the one with the 8Gb SSD or the one with the 120Gb Hard Drive?

I'll try a search on mine tomorrow too, see if the same problem occurs.

PeteGraham, Sep 19, 2008
  6. Guest

Guest Guest

No I didn't go back to the original state of the machine. I just replaced the file with the file from Annafil and it worked well after restart.

Guest, Sep 19, 2008
  7. Guest

flatboarder

What do you mean by 'file search'? The text input line with internet or desktop search located upper right of screen? I have no issues there when searching for anything. Can you open some xterm (ALT-F2, type xterm in popup window and hit enter) and type 'dmesg' in there, after a search giving these error messages? Does it tell about corrupt blocks or anything else horrific? Regards, Phil

flatboarder, Sep 19, 2008
  8. Guest

brandone

I have done two complete recoveries today, and both times the icons were fine until I ran the updates. I am leaving on vacation and can't afford to mess the machine up anymore so I'm gonna wait till 'update' can undo what they screwed up. BTW, I love this little jewel!

brandone, Sep 19, 2008
  9. Guest

kapinouwi

or you can edit the desktop/group-app.xml start num of your app at 0 (zero) and re-num in order you want !!!

kapinouwi, Sep 19, 2008
  10. Guest

stuartmitch

The difference I have spotted between mine and Annafil's file is this line in the XML (for blue :

Annafil:
    <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="-1-10">/usr/share/applications/green-more.desktop</app>

Stuartmitch
    <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/green-more.desktop</app>

I have made the change and am re-booting...

EDIT: it wasn't that! :)

stuartmitch, Sep 19, 2008
  11. Guest

phar

I remember when I first was adding apps to /home/user/.config/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml weeks ago, I noticed something wonky about how the "app sequence" numbering was working. To me it appears the update has corrected the indexing of the applications in the config file.

The individual app started at 1 (<app sequence="1") and incremented from there. Now they start at 0 so the first one should be (<app sequence="0") and each additional one should be one less so that 2 should now be 1 and 3 should be 2, etc.... After saving and rebooting it appears correctly for me.

In my case:

<app sequence="0">/usr/share/applications/linpus-web.desktop</app>
    <app sequence="1" acs="im">/usr/share/applications/pidgin.desktop</app>
    <app sequence="2" acs="email">/usr/share/applications/mozilla-thunderbird.desktop</app>
    <app sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/acerrss.desktop</app>
    <app sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/edesktop/googlemap.desktop</app>
    <app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/edesktop/wikipedia.desktop</app>
    <app sequence="6">/usr/share/applications/net-gftp.desktop</app>
    <app sequence="7">/usr/share/applications/edesktop/webmail.desktop</app>

The part that did not appear to work before was at the boundary from 6 to 7, I think I had to skip a number. Now it seems to work correctly and I can increment from 0 to what ever without skipping.

phar, Sep 20, 2008
  12. Guest

popcycleken

Sorry, have been away for a bit.

The search that sometimes throws the error message is the one that you can get from the file manager. The first time it failed, and the majority of times, I was searching for the very xml file folks are discussing here. It mostly fails when searching from 'filesystem', but did fail from other directories as well at least once. (Never did find it, except the version in /etc/, which may be because of the error that the message describes). The message is hard to read because it appears in a message window that is about 4 times wider than the screen. But it says something about 'bad hard links'.

The one was new yesterday, and I did perform some searches that were successful and did not throw errors. Unfortunately I can't remember what searches I did, so there is not an apples-to-apples comparison. Even now, they don't all throw errors, but the message basically says that your searches may not find all results as a result of these bad links.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your interest.

Ken

popcycleken, Sep 20, 2008
  13. Guest

willwgp

Phar, I just tried your suggestion and it didn't quite do it for me. Not sure why. It's such a weird problem! Thanks for the idea though! I'll keep tinkering with it. I just wish it wasn't this hard!

willwgp, Sep 20, 2008
  14. Guest

annafil

Um has anyone tried looking in the /etc/xdg/xfce4/desktop/group-app.xml file and not just the /home one?

annafil, Sep 20, 2008
  15. Guest

geep

ummmmmm...why doesnt Acer just issue another patch ASAP to correct this problem? Not everyone is going to be comfortable diving into code

geep, Sep 20, 2008
  16. Guest

willwgp

Yep that's exactly what I took a look at, dum dum! :lol:

willwgp, Sep 20, 2008
  17. Guest

popcycleken

I have compared 3 versions of the group-app.xml file: the one posted by annafil; the one in /home/; and the one in /etc/. They are all different, and it appears that one of the key differences is the sequence of the arrows: they are"-1-10", "3", and "-10" respectively.

As someone above (I can't see there while typing this, so no credit), one of the differences involves the change from base 1 to base 0. But the fact that you can't drag and drop to the shaded areas in the UI makes me believe that this is not the only, or largest, issue. Either there is some other setting in the xml that precludes the UI from working, or there is a problem in the accompanying binary.

I also think this points out that there is a fundamental flaw in the customized linpus desktop, though it is at least partially correctable. If anyone is interested in hearing that opinion, I will start a new thread, else forget about it.

I am going to try to paste in the two xml files from my 'one' but don't really know what i am doing.

Here is the one from /etc/, which I am guessing is the replaced file.

Code:
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> 
    - <xfdesktop>
      <upperbutton>/usr/share/desktop-directories/upperbutton.desktop</upperbutton> 
      <setting exec="">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Settings.directory</setting> 
      <help exec="">/usr/share/desktop-directories/help.directory</help> 
    - <group>
      <id>1</id> 
      <sequence>0</sequence> 
    - <!-- <directory_file title="" icon="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/blue-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Internet.directory</directory_file>
      --> 
      <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/home-blue-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Connect.directory</directory_file> 
      <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/blue-bk.png</background_picture> 
      <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/blue-more.desktop</app> 
      </group>
    - <group>
      <id>2</id> 
      <sequence>1</sequence> 
      <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/home-orange-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Works.directory</directory_file> 
      <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/orange-bk.png</background_picture> 
      <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/orange-more.desktop</app> 
      </group>
    - <group>
      <id>3</id> 
      <sequence>2</sequence> 
      <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/home-yellow-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Fun.directory</directory_file> 
      <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/yellow-bk.png</background_picture> 
      <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/yellow-more.desktop</app> 
      </group>
    - <group>
      <id>4</id> 
      <sequence>3</sequence> 
      <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/home-green-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Files.directory</directory_file> 
      <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/green-bk.png</background_picture> 
      <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/green-more.desktop</app> 
      </group>
    - <group>
      <id>5</id> 
      <sequence>4</sequence> 
      <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/blue-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Connect.directory</directory_file> 
      <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/blue-bk-large.png</background_picture> 
      <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="-10">/usr/share/applications/blue-back.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="2" acs="email">/usr/share/applications/AME.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="3" acs="im">/usr/share/applications/acerim.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/linpus-web.desktop</app> 
    - <!-- app sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/skype.desktop</app
      --> 
    - <!-- 	      <app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/luvcview.desktop</app>
      --> 
    - <!-- 	      <app icon="ftp.png" name="FTP" sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/net-gftp.desktop</app>
      --> 
    - <!-- 	 <app sequence="5" acs="rss">/usr/share/applications/acerrss.desktop</app> 
      --> 
      <app sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/acerrss.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="6">/usr/share/applications/edesktop/googlemap.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="8">/usr/share/applications/edesktop/webmail.desktop</app> 
      </group>
    - <group>
      <id>6</id> 
      <sequence>5</sequence> 
      <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/orange-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Works.directory</directory_file> 
      <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/orange-bk-large.png</background_picture> 
      <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="0">/usr/share/applications/orange-back.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/openoffice.org-1.9-writer.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="2">/usr/share/applications/openoffice.org-1.9-calc.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/openoffice.org-1.9-impress.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/acercalendar.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/acercontact.desktop</app> 
    - <!-- 
    app icon="burning.png" name="CD/DVD Burning" sequence="6">/usr/share/applications/gnome-gcalctool.desktop</app>
    	 <app sequence="6">/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop</app>

--> 
      <app sequence="6">/usr/share/applications/galculator.desktop</app> 
    - <!-- app sequence="8">/usr/share/applications/gnome-dictionary.desktop</app
      --> 
    - <!-- 	 <app icon="snapshot.png" name="Snapshot" sequence="10">/usr/share/applications/gnome-screenshot.desktop</app>
      --> 
      <app sequence="8">/usr/share/applications/xpad.desktop</app> 
      </group>
    - <group>
      <id>7</id> 
      <sequence>6</sequence> 
      <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/yellow-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Fun.directory</directory_file> 
      <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/yellow-bk-large.png</background_picture> 
      <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="0">/usr/share/applications/yellow-back.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="2">/usr/share/applications/pcmmvp.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/pcmphoto.desktop</app> 
    - <!-- <app icon="games.png" name="Games" sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/tuxpuck.desktop</app>
      --> 
      <dir sequence="4" dir_id="1">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Games.directory</dir> 
      <app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/ucview.desktop</app> 
    - <!-- app icon="voice_recorder.png" name="Voice Recorder" sequence="9">/usr/share/applications/realplay.desktop</app
      --> 
      <app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/kolourpaint.desktop</app> 
    - <!-- 
             <app icon="internetradio.png" name="Internet Radio" sequence="11">/usr/share/applications/realplay.desktop</app>
             <app icon="picture.png" sequence="12">/usr/share/applications/gthumb.desktop</app>

--> 
      </group>
    - <group>
      <id>8</id> 
      <sequence>7</sequence> 
      <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/green-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Files.directory</directory_file> 
      <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/green-bk-large.png</background_picture> 
      <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="0">/usr/share/applications/green-back.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/Document.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/Picture.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="2">/usr/share/applications/Music.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/Video.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/Download.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="6">/usr/share/applications/Thunar.desktop</app> 
      </group>
    - <group>
      <id>9</id> 
      <sequence>8</sequence> 
      <directory_file exec="" icon="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/gray-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Settings.directory</directory_file> 
      <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/gray-bk-large.png</background_picture> 
      <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="0">/usr/share/applications/settings-back.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="8">/usr/share/applications/gsynaptics.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="6">/usr/share/applications/system-config-date.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="10">/usr/share/applications/linpus-printconf-gui.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/xfce-display-settings.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/sysinfo.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="9">/usr/share/applications/onlineupdate.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="12">/usr/share/applications/redhat-userpasswd.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="13">/usr/share/applications/keyboard_layout.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/networkcenter.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/audio.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="2">/usr/share/applications/powercenter.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="11">/usr/share/applications/linpus-scim-setup.desktop</app> 
      </group>
    - <dir id="1" parent_dir_id="0">
      <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/yellow-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/FunGames.directory</directory_file> 
      <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/yellow-bk-large-games.png</background_picture> 
    - <!-- >         <app sequence="0">/usr/share/applications/linpus-circuslinux.desktop</app><
      --> 
      <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="0">/usr/share/applications/yellow-back.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/ltris.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="2">/usr/share/applications/linpus-frozen-bubble.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/tuxpuck.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/llk_linux.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/supertux.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="6">/usr/share/applications/bubbleshooter.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="8">/usr/share/applications/ButterFlight.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="9">/usr/share/applications/snooker.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="10">/usr/share/applications/checkers.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="11">/usr/share/applications/mahjong.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="12">/usr/share/applications/volleyballey.desktop</app> 
      </dir>
      </xfdesktop>

Here is the active file from /home/.

Code:
      <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?> 
    - <xfdesktop>
      <upperbutton>/usr/share/desktop-directories/upperbutton.desktop</upperbutton> 
      <setting exec="">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Settings.directory</setting> 
      <help exec="">/usr/share/desktop-directories/help.directory</help> 
    - <group>
      <id>1</id> 
      <sequence>0</sequence> 
    - <!-- <directory_file title="" icon="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/blue-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Internet.directory</directory_file>
      --> 
      <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/home-blue-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Connect.directory</directory_file> 
      <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/blue-bk.png</background_picture> 
      <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/blue-more.desktop</app> 
      </group>
    - <group>
      <id>2</id> 
      <sequence>1</sequence> 
      <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/home-orange-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Works.directory</directory_file> 
      <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/orange-bk.png</background_picture> 
      <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/orange-more.desktop</app> 
      </group>
    - <group>
      <id>3</id> 
      <sequence>2</sequence> 
      <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/home-yellow-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Fun.directory</directory_file> 
      <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/yellow-bk.png</background_picture> 
      <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/yellow-more.desktop</app> 
      </group>
    - <group>
      <id>4</id> 
      <sequence>3</sequence> 
      <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/home-green-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Files.directory</directory_file> 
      <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/green-bk.png</background_picture> 
      </group>
    - <group>
      <id>5</id> 
      <sequence>4</sequence> 
      <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/blue-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Connect.directory</directory_file> 
      <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/blue-bk-large.png</background_picture> 
      <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="-10">/usr/share/applications/blue-back.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="2" acs="email">/usr/share/applications/AME.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="3" acs="im">/usr/share/applications/acerim.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/linpus-web.desktop</app> 
    - <!-- app sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/skype.desktop</app
      --> 
    - <!-- 	      <app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/luvcview.desktop</app>
      --> 
    - <!-- 	      <app icon="ftp.png" name="FTP" sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/net-gftp.desktop</app>
      --> 
    - <!-- 	 <app sequence="5" acs="rss">/usr/share/applications/acerrss.desktop</app> 
      --> 
      <app sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/acerrss.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="6">/usr/share/applications/edesktop/googlemap.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="8">/usr/share/applications/edesktop/webmail.desktop</app> 
      </group>
    - <group>
      <id>6</id> 
      <sequence>5</sequence> 
      <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/orange-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Works.directory</directory_file> 
      <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/orange-bk-large.png</background_picture> 
      <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="0">/usr/share/applications/orange-back.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/openoffice.org-1.9-writer.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="2">/usr/share/applications/openoffice.org-1.9-calc.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/openoffice.org-1.9-impress.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/acercalendar.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/acercontact.desktop</app> 
    - <!-- 
    app icon="burning.png" name="CD/DVD Burning" sequence="6">/usr/share/applications/gnome-gcalctool.desktop</app>
    	 <app sequence="6">/opt/Adobe/Reader8/Resource/Support/AdobeReader.desktop</app>

--> 
      <app sequence="6">/usr/share/applications/galculator.desktop</app> 
    - <!-- app sequence="8">/usr/share/applications/gnome-dictionary.desktop</app
      --> 
    - <!-- 	 <app icon="snapshot.png" name="Snapshot" sequence="10">/usr/share/applications/gnome-screenshot.desktop</app>
      --> 
      <app sequence="8">/usr/share/applications/xpad.desktop</app> 
      </group>
    - <group>
      <id>7</id> 
      <sequence>6</sequence> 
      <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/yellow-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Fun.directory</directory_file> 
      <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/yellow-bk-large.png</background_picture> 
      <app sequence="2">/usr/share/applications/pcmmvp.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/pcmphoto.desktop</app> 
    - <!-- <app icon="games.png" name="Games" sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/tuxpuck.desktop</app>
      --> 
      <dir sequence="4" dir_id="1">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Games.directory</dir> 
      <app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/ucview.desktop</app> 
    - <!-- app icon="voice_recorder.png" name="Voice Recorder" sequence="9">/usr/share/applications/realplay.desktop</app
      --> 
      <app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/kolourpaint.desktop</app> 
    - <!-- 
             <app icon="internetradio.png" name="Internet Radio" sequence="11">/usr/share/applications/realplay.desktop</app>
             <app icon="picture.png" sequence="12">/usr/share/applications/gthumb.desktop</app>

--> 
      </group>
    - <group>
      <id>8</id> 
      <sequence>7</sequence> 
      <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/green-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Files.directory</directory_file> 
      <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/green-bk-large.png</background_picture> 
      <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="0">/usr/share/applications/green-back.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/Document.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/Picture.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="2">/usr/share/applications/Music.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/Video.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/Download.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="6">/usr/share/applications/Thunar.desktop</app> 
      </group>
    - <group>
      <id>9</id> 
      <sequence>8</sequence> 
      <directory_file exec="" icon="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/gray-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/Settings.directory</directory_file> 
      <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/gray-bk-large.png</background_picture> 
      <app is_arrow="1" name="" sequence="0">/usr/share/applications/settings-back.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="8">/usr/share/applications/gsynaptics.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="6">/usr/share/applications/system-config-date.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="10">/usr/share/applications/linpus-printconf-gui.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/xfce-display-settings.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/sysinfo.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="9">/usr/share/applications/onlineupdate.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="12">/usr/share/applications/redhat-userpasswd.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="13">/usr/share/applications/keyboard_layout.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/networkcenter.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/audio.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="2">/usr/share/applications/powercenter.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="11">/usr/share/applications/linpus-scim-setup.desktop</app> 
      </group>
    - <dir id="1" parent_dir_id="0">
      <directory_file exec="" tag_background="/usr/share/backgrounds/images/yellow-bk-title.png">/usr/share/desktop-directories/FunGames.directory</directory_file> 
      <background_picture>/usr/share/backgrounds/images/yellow-bk-large-games.png</background_picture> 
    - <!-- >         <app sequence="0">/usr/share/applications/linpus-circuslinux.desktop</app><
      --> 
      <app sequence="1">/usr/share/applications/ltris.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="2">/usr/share/applications/linpus-frozen-bubble.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="3">/usr/share/applications/tuxpuck.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="4">/usr/share/applications/llk_linux.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="5">/usr/share/applications/supertux.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="6">/usr/share/applications/bubbleshooter.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="8">/usr/share/applications/ButterFlight.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="9">/usr/share/applications/snooker.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="10">/usr/share/applications/checkers.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="11">/usr/share/applications/mahjong.desktop</app> 
      <app sequence="12">/usr/share/applications/volleyballey.desktop</app> 
      </dir>
      </xfdesktop >

Well that doesn't look too good in preview, but I'll try it. My apologies if it results in a humungous mess.

Ken

popcycleken, Sep 20, 2008
  18. Guest

annafil

Bold text makes you seem like you're shouting in an online conversation. Just fyi. I ask because the first time i asked the question, someone said they'll go home and take a look and then nothing, so I had to ask again to cover all angles, dum dum.

Ken:

in your case, the problem can be fixed in the home file. Take a close look at the numbering in the file, for example, these lines:

See how the "app sequence" starts at 1? That should be whats causing display issues in your case. If you change change the numberin to start at 0, you should be fine. Check the file in home for any other numbers, make sure they all start at 0. You can take a look at a working copy i pasted earlier

annafil, Sep 20, 2008
  19. Guest

PeteGraham

Hi Annafil

Been asleep most of the day because I am on shift currently. I checked the other one in xdg and it's the same as the one on our Maud's working Aspire One. Shame really, thought that would have cracked it open.

I have however tried the suggestion of numbering from 0 instead of 1 and it's worked....sort of. I wiped my Aspire, recovered the image, ran the updates then renumbered the group-app in HOME and it seems to have sorted it. But like I said, only sort of. There are still a couple of icons which are missing or just shunted around, leaving gaps in the others but the 3 in each of the 4 groups on the main screen are now back to normal. I will tinker with it some more when I get home again and see if I can't nail it completely and get all the icons back in line with the 3 shown on the Home screen.

Thanks for all your efforts! Mine at least seems to be getting better. It's a lot more useable, and in case it's of any use I have also now installed Thunderbird and FF3 with their correct respective icons, and they too have remained in place on the Home screen.

Re the search problem Ken was suffering. Tried it on mine and didn't get any errors at all.

HTH

Pete

PeteGraham, Sep 20, 2008
  20. Guest

annafil

hey pete: glad you're on the right track there! keep us posted on your progress

annafil, Sep 20, 2008
Ask a Question