Icons moved on desktop after update

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Guest, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Guest

sgtslwilson

Thank you sir. This worked for me after the updater broke my desktop! Took me a while to find the file to paste and copy to but the fix is perfect.

Once again. Thank you.

sgtslwilson, Sep 21, 2008
  2. Guest

edkmho

guys,

after the live update the sequence start from 0, no longer start from one, i have edit my group-app.xml file and changed all the sequence to start form 0. Everything now work fine.

Thanks guys.

edkmho, Sep 21, 2008
  3. Guest

popcycleken

Well, I can get my icons lined up the way I want now by editing the xml file in /home/. Alas, the drag and drop of the icons still does not work. Can someone who used annafil's file via cut-and-paste tell me if that also restored the ability to move the icons via drag-and drop? If it does, I may know which attribute is making the difference.

Even if not, this is workable (though probably way too risky for most Windows users even if they manage to find this wonderful resouce). Now can someone point me at threads/posts that could help me with: getting the native email client to send from gmail (receives OK); and exactly how to install Skype ('run' from download page? double-click in download directory?, etc?).

Thanks much for your help on this one.

Ken

popcycleken, Sep 21, 2008
  4. Guest

popcycleken

It appears I spoke too quickly above. It turns out there is an error in the /home/ group-app file which causes all of the symptoms. The line with the commented Skype entry is missing a ">". I discovered this when I activated the line in anticipation of installing Skype.

Once this is corrected, everything works. Drag-and-drop will work. All other icons will appear in their correct places without altering the xml -- it turns out that the binary uses the sequence numbers on a relative, not absolute, basis. So it doesn't matter if you start with 0 or 1, or skip numbers.

Still need help with the two items listed above, though, if anyone can help with that.

Thanks,

Ken

5. Guest

annafil

Ken: good find! I didn't notice that ;)

as for skype, as long as you have downloaded the correct package from the website (look for fedora, it will probably say something like version 6) and it ends in .rpm you should just be able to double click and the package manager will do the rest for you

annafil, Sep 21, 2008
  6. Guest

Krinor

Here's something rather strange: On my AAO the 190004 update didn't do any harm, but on my wife's AAO it caused all the problems mentioned by others. I rearranged the sequence in the xml file and the icons now appear as they used to but the Notes icon doesn't work. It is placed right on top of another icon and if I move the underying icon the notes icon stays put. The only difference between my machine and my wife's is that her AAO is new, and mine was bought on July 25th. I also have an 8 GB SD card installed. Could this make a difference ?
    Does anyone think Acer will put up a patch to fix up this catastrophic update anytime soon? I sure wont be the first to try it though! :roll:

Krinor, Sep 21, 2008
  7. Guest

annafil

krinor: im not sure there's any point in "patching the patch" so to speak.. everyone has already scrambled to fix theirs, and like you said, it doesn't affect everyone it seems.

in my case, i got this bug a couple of weeks ago, but this last update i've had no problems at all. i think it's a matter of an earlier update that was broken, and the newer update which was fine didn't take into account the earlier one (if that made sense). Software updates are an ugly business if you don't use the package management system on a linux distribution because it's soo hard to keep track of who installed which set of updates at what time and in what order.

So yeah, my best guess - it was an earlier update and this was meant to be a fix ;)

annafil, Sep 21, 2008
  8. Guest

Krinor

aahh, so on my wife's machine we installed the fix but not the bug then... Since she got hers just a few weeks ago. Oh my... I guess I'll just stick to my good old motto: Never wake a sleeping dog. Ha ha.

But what about the Notes icon which is currently stuck (on this particular machine)? It's never really appeared in that xml file in the first place, so I sure don't understand why it's even there on the screen at all... Is there some nice little code I can put into that sequence which will make it behave like an ordinary clickable icon ?

Krinor, Sep 21, 2008
  9. Guest

Gutty96

I used annafil's file which worked fine for straightening out the icons. Thanks!

Only problem is, I lost the icon links for "Hotmail" and "GoogleEarth"

They are no longer in the section with Browser, Email, Messenger, Wikipedia, etc, at all any more. Any idea how I may get them back, the GF likes just being able to click the "Hotmail" button and be right there.

Thanks.

Gutty96, Sep 21, 2008
  10. Guest

popcycleken

annafil: Thanks for the Skype tip. Did it that way and it worked fine, just finshed long international call on it. It did hit that issue where the key was changed on the repository, but that was handled gracefully by the install software.

I have searched the forum every way I know how and have not found anyone commenting on using gmail with the native email program. I have tried every combination of parameters I can think of with no luck. So if someone can point me to a solution, or even discussion, I would appreciate it. If not, there are many references to TBird, is a there an idiot-proof install guide for it?

Thanks,

Ken

11. Guest

stuartmitch

Hi Ken,

I am a UNIX n00b but I found installing and using Thunderbird with Gmail really, really easy. It seems to work much better than the AA1 mail program and (with Sunbird on top) it is almost like using Outlook for me. I am really happy with it.

I found that just going to the right page (http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/) and clicking on download did everything including creating the desktop icon. If you want to take it this far I will happily help you with the Gmail part.

You did enable POP and/or IMAP on your Gmail account, right?

Good luck!

stuartmitch, Sep 21, 2008
  12. Guest

faz71

Hi everyone, this is my first ever post and I'm a total noob. just got my one and finding out about linux, was falling in love with this machine until I did the live update. same probs as everyone else with the moving icons. Tried the fix in both /home/user and /etc/xdg/xfce4 etc but all I get is "permission denied" Am I doing something wrong? sorry if its my silly mistake, like I say i am totally inexperienced. BTW these forums are brilliant. Thanks

faz71, Sep 22, 2008
  13. Guest

willwgp

Did you get around to doing the Alt+F2, xfce-setting-show in terminal?

What you want to do is access terminal, type in SU and put in your password you started off with. This gives you a root access or admin deal. When you're under root you can change anything without permission denied problems :)

I've been trying to change the group-app.xml but just can't get it to do what I want! I hope they come out with a fix or something. I even did a system restore and tried it again but no avail. Oh well, it's totally fine. :) just curious as to why they would change the group-app.xml file along with everything else.

willwgp, Sep 22, 2008
  14. Guest

popcycleken

stuartmitch: thanks for the help. i think i am going to have to go to tbird, so thanks for the tip there. i don't want to hijack this thrread, so will try that when i get a chance, then either post thank you or chase you down.

ken

popcycleken, Sep 22, 2008
  15. Guest

stuartmitch

popcycleken: PM is fine! :)

stuartmitch, Sep 22, 2008
  16. Guest

faz71

Thanks for the reply willwgp, I just tried this but when "password" comes up it wont let me type anything! I think I must be doing something wrong,

just tried again got to [root@localhost user]# then i tried the fix again and still permission denied :(

as i said before I am new at this but keen to learn (although I dont think I will try anything new for a while after this!)

faz71, Sep 22, 2008
  17. Guest

flatboarder

Krinor, the code for the notes icon should already be there :)
    Indentation in this file has been messed up completely. The notes icon code has been appended to some xml commented code, so you need to watch the end of lines in that section carefully. You can easily align the notes icon just as like any other icon.
    Regards, Phil

flatboarder, Sep 22, 2008
  18. Guest

willwgp

faz21 :)

when you type in su and it prompts you to put in the password, it won't show any letters you type, so you just have to type out your password and hit enter, don't think anything about it.

what you want to do next is type in: mousepad /home/user and /etc/xdg/xfce4/group-app.xml

then it should open it ... I hope :)

When you're in root you just have to be really careful, especially with the things we've been talking about in here. In just the past week I've learned a lot already about linux but I have so much more to learn.

willwgp, Sep 22, 2008
  19. Guest

JoaoMachado

Live Update now available for this fix...

JoaoMachado, Sep 22, 2008
  20. Guest

faz71

thanks will for your patience and help, i followed your advice and its all working perfectly now (even though live update now available!) learnt loads though, cheers :D

faz71, Sep 22, 2008
Ask a Question